• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dead lifts and squats question

kindred

Dead lifts
Are there any alternatives to deadlifts?

Squats <--- squat specific please
What weight should I be aiming for? (I want to be healthy and normal all things considered)
What would be good progress?
How much wieght increase a week would be considered normal?
What would be considered a warning sign that im not doing something right?

there are no alternatives to deadlifts
but i guess you could look at a combo of
leg curls
bent rows
HEAVY shrugs

squat questions about warning signs , i guess aches and pains

Dead lifts
Are there any alternatives to deadlifts?

Squats <--- squat specific please
What weight should I be aiming for? (I want to be healthy and normal all things considered)
What would be good progress?
How much wieght increase a week would be considered normal?
What would be considered a warning sign that im not doing something right?

Aim for 1.5x bodyweight, like I said in the other threads, this is generally considered the point at which you are no longer a beginner - although some say 1.3x is good enough if you just can't make any more gains with good diet rest and routine.

I'm doing the 3x5 system atm, and it recommends starting light right at the beginning and adding ~5kg per workout until you start to miss a rep in the last set (missing a rep includes poor form) then only add around 2.5kg per workout, when you start to miss a rep at the end again you only add 1kg per workout. When you miss more than 1 rep or 1 rep in more than one set you either stay same weight or only add say 1kg or 0.5kg depending on the reasons for failure (if you didn't rest enough or eat enough in the last couple of days or what ever you correct that and add some weight, if all seems fine you stay at the same weight to see if its a plateau). When you plateau they have a system of slight de-loading and then going back to adding ~5kg per workout. Since you do squats 3x a week you are adding somewhere between 3kg to 15kg a week - which slows down quite quickly to the lower number, and then slows down even further as you have to deload and get back into it etc.

I've been averaging ~7.5kg/week for the last month, but I started with only the bar so thats not a fair indication, I'd say for a beginner who has gotten past the first couple of months of easy gains that 2-3kg per week would be the average until you hit around the 1.3x bodyweight, then it will slow and eventually stop around the 1.5x mark - thats when you know your body is used to it and just won't grow without a different workout style.

Warning signs can vary depending on how much you weigh, how much you are lifting and your bodys ability to resist damage hahaha. Take a look at some videos on youtube as recommended by the people at either starting strength or stronglifts. The big warning signs are - back hurting during lift, knees hurting during lift, feeling the need to fall over forwards or backwards, having to take a step forward or backwards near the top of the lift etc.

Basic instructions are

Get your hands as close to your shoulders as possible without bending your wrists - this squeezes the shoulder blades together. Lift out of the rack and take 1 small step back and slightly to the side and then 1 step with the other to line up with your legs just over shoulder width apart, and toes pointing out at 30degs or so. Stick your butt out while clenching your stomach and lower back muscles to keep natural posture and lower yourself down with the bar staying over the middle of your foot, knees following the angle of your feet (30 deg), get right down low - you must get your legs below parallel or your not working the entire posterior chain. When coming back up you are simultaneously clenching back and stomach, pushing your ass/hips forward and pushing up with your legs making sure to concentrate on keeping your knees from collapsing inwards (use your muscles to force your legs open to 30deg if you have to). Once again as you raise the bar should stay over mid foot so you don't feel like your falling forward or backwards.

Probably the best explanation I can give - and probably needs a bunch added or clarified to really give a good idea in words. Better to watch a video of it being done right.

Thanks. I have watched a few videos of people doing squats and Im doing it the same as them. I have also been shown how to do it a couple of times by personal trainers and a PE teacher.

Maybe im paranoid but i dont think Im making the progress i should be making. Based on my exercise blog on this forum what do you think?

Thanks. I have watched a few videos of people doing squats and Im doing it the same as them. I have also been shown how to do it a couple of times by personal trainers and a PE teacher.

Maybe im paranoid but i dont think Im making the progress i should be making. Based on my exercise blog on this forum what do you think?

I think your doing things to hap-hazardously, you went from 40kg 10 10 10 to 60kg 10 40kg 10 10. the question is why - why add 20kg, why only the first set - why are they 10 per set etc etc.

What are you trying to achieve - are you trying to look big or get strong?

I only lifted 10 sets of 60kg because i ran out of energy I couldnt lift any more.

I want to get strong I guess, so i can lift heavier weights.

I only lifted 10 sets of 60kg because i ran out of energy I couldnt lift any more.

I want to get strong I guess, so i can lift heavier weights.

You are running out of energy because you went up a massive amount in one go. Your set length is also high for someone who wants to gain strength - it looks more like a body building routine. I'de change to a 3x8 or better 5x5 or even a 3x5 and lift more weight. try starting at your current 40kg. Do a 5x5 of 40kg. The next time you do squats (not next week not next month - the NEXT workout with squats) make it 42kg, the next time 44 or 45 if its easier. Try doing that for a while and see how you go. Making a small gain each workout (or as the gains get harder each week) is much more logical and satisfying than doing 40kg for 5 weeks then just trying to add 10 or 20kg all of a sudden.

I think I am doing something wrong with my form. Im sure I should be able to lift more than I can now. I just switch from doing dumbbell squats to barbell squats so I will see if that helps me out cause I can add smaller weights (the dumbbells I have are not the type you can add or remove weight).

Does anyone have any problems with their knees? I dont always have problems but sometimes my knees feel a little odd. Again still not sure as to my form.

Are your knees thoroughly warmed up? I do 2-3 sets of light leg ext to warm up kneess, then a couple of light-medium squats, them I'm good to go.

I have crap knees and ankles and I'm fine with squats.

Kindred, I know that Shrek will probably shoot me down for saying this, but if you are as unsure as you appear to be, I would recommend seeing a trainer a couple of times a week to teach you the basics.

You seem very lost and can't work out whether you are doing the right or wrong thing. You are not even sure of your goals. It is hard from speaking with people over the internet and looking at videos to be sure if your technique is right. If it is that bad and you want to achieve something (even though you don't seem to know what that is), pay someone to make sure that you get something right.

If he thinks he has form problems then maybe he should see a PT to try to correct his form, but really there is a plethera* of information around and even videos on youtube on how to squat and deadlift correctly, these should suffice and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

I dont have the money and none of my friends workout so i cant really ask them.

My goal is 120kg squats doesnt really matter when i get there but thats the end goal.

So i do have goals I just dont really voice them that much on the forums as for getting there i really dont care how i do it as long is it happens.