• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift training opinions

Little Jerry

My little brother and I are having a 180kg for reps deadlift competition in a few weeks.

I'm torn between continuing to train heavy and maybe adding a higher rep back off set, or whether I should be totally acclimatising to higher reps and banging out sets of 10's etc.

I'd be good for 10 reps so it's not like I need huge conditioning.

I've done this kind of comp before.

Lifting heavy will give you no advantage. No point pulling 260 for an explosive single if the comp is 180 for endurance. you already have the power if you can do 10 for sets

What you need to do is work your breathing, and cardio and you should work on ur speed. The faster you get it off the ground, the quicker ur rep is and the more reps Ull do.

Isn't this essentially a strongman event? How do strongmen train for this? One drop method would work very well imo... Hit a heavy single then do a single high rep downset. If you want this to suck even more you can take 10 breaths after failure then go for another touch and go set :v

Thats more or less how i used to train my deadlift before PTC. Got 150 up to 190 in 4 months.

I've done this kind of comp before.

Lifting heavy will give you no advantage. No point pulling 260 for an explosive single if the comp is 180 for endurance. you already have the power if you can do 10 for sets

What you need to do is work your breathing, and cardio and you should work on ur speed. The faster you get it off the ground, the quicker ur rep is and the more reps Ull do.

Lifting heavy will give no advantage. Lol

Cardio. Lol.

First you need max strength. It's easier to do 180 for reps when your max is 300 than it is if your max is 190.

Train for max strength then drop back and get higher reps in.

Lifting heavy will give no advantage. Lol

Cardio. Lol.

First you need max strength. It's easier to do 180 for reps when your max is 300 than it is if your max is 190.

Train for max strength then drop back and get higher reps in.

His comp is in 3 weeks and your advising him to lift heavy? What if he gets injured attempting a pb

Normally ppl train heavy deads once a week.. So this gives him at best 3 training sessions. How much poundage can u possibly increase in 3 weeks. No advantage what so ever.

Again, I've done this comp before and went from doing 11reps to 15 reps of 180kgs in 2 weeks by simply working on my speed off the ground and breathing techniques through the reps. I found high intensity cardio for short bursts the best way to incase my reps. Ull be surprised how many ppl hold there breath or breath only once or twice during a full set.

Just remember u know exactly how much u need to lift (180kg),it's not a powerlifting comp where max weight win. It's more endurance. If u were going to increase weight then I would only by 10kgs tops. Along as u can rep out for at least 8-10.

Anyways dude up to you and good luck.

If i were you i'd just deadlift like usual, and drop all deads a week out.
The biggest thing you can do is work on your strategy, so breathing, practice bouncing your reps if your allowed, find out how many you can do leave a few reps in the tank and try to beat that on the day.

You'll get no noticable training effect from one or two sessions. Your as strong as your going to be so maximise what you can do with what you've got.

His comp is in 3 weeks and your advising him to lift heavy? What if he gets injured attempting a pb

Normally ppl train heavy deads once a week.. So this gives him at best 3 training sessions. How much poundage can u possibly increase in 3 weeks. No advantage what so ever.

Again, I've done this comp before and went from doing 11reps to 15 reps of 180kgs in 2 weeks by simply working on my speed off the ground and breathing techniques through the reps. I found high intensity cardio for short bursts the best way to incase my reps. Ull be surprised how many ppl hold there breath or breath only once or twice during a full set.

Just remember u know exactly how much u need to lift (180kg),it's not a powerlifting comp where max weight win. It's more endurance. If u were going to increase weight then I would only by 10kgs tops. Along as u can rep out for at least 8-10.

Anyways dude up to you and good luck.

I said train for max strength and then do reps after.

Training for max strength does not mean doing a 1 rep PB.

Hi intensity cardio for increasing deadlift reps. Are you a Crossfitter?

I said train for max strength and then do reps after.

Training for max strength does not mean doing a 1 rep PB.

Hi intensity cardio for increasing deadlift reps. Are you a Crossfitter?

We have different definitions of max strength. To me, max strength means being as strong as u can be and lifting as heavy as u can.

No, I'm not a cross fitter. I come from a power lifting background.

His comp is an endurance event therefore the High intense cardio recommendation. I wouldn't normally say that but Ull be amazed by the amount of ppl that get puffed out during these meets but still have so much power in reserve.

Not here to make enemies...

He could quite easily run a higher frequency deadlift template for the next 3 weeks and not risk injury too much.

Maybe something like the Mag/Ort cycle but with smaller jumps. This should help him increase both maximal and rep strength over a short period time.

Mag/Ort basics
4x4@70%
2@80%
2@90%
+8@70%

Normally you would add 5kg every week but if you ran this twice a week you could add 2.5kg per session and get more frequency in.

This was the exact comp I had to do for strongman comp last week.

I did one day a week of typical heavy stuff. Working up to a heavy triple and then a couple of backup sets.

On my other day I did lower reps against and band for 2 sets of 90seconds. For me it was around 50% plus a heavy band. I was getting to about 27reps in 90seconds.

My max is 235kg and I got 14 out at 82kg.

You will find a strong person on every different program
Doesn't mean it's the sensible option

180kg for reps is a test of conditioning not strength, better hope your conditioning is up to scratch...

180kg for reps is a test of conditioning not strength, better hope your conditioning is up to scratch...

depends on the person doesnt it? 180 for reps would be a very different test for say Sticky with a 320 max and me with a 180 max.

For him its a conditioning test, for me its a 1rm test.