• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet without protein powder or bars

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
I am working through a few health issues, one of which is a dodgy gut.

one of my health practioners has asked me to remove all protein powder and bars from my diet, as she believes this is causing a lot of my issues.
we are trialling for a month eating just food, which I haven't done since I started bodybuilding 13 years ago. I have depended on powder a lot, so this is a new concept, but one I am happy to give a go.

thinking of eating the following. CONSTRUCTIVE feedback welcome.

my goal is to slowly reduce bodyfat, maintain muscle ( estimate would be approx 90kgs LBM) not really needing to add additional muscle mass at this stage of life.

cardio
4 whole eggs, 2 slices whole grain/ wholemeal toast
weights
250 grams salmon, broccoli/green bean/ green pea purée
300 grams chicken breast, 200 grams baked sweet potato
300 grams lean red meat, 200 grams potato/ rice/ complex carb, mixed vegie
200grams Greek yogurt, banana

i eat most of my carbs in the PM to help facilitate neurotransmitter release to help with sleep.

By my very rough calculations, this should equal about 250 grams protein, and 2400-2500 calories.

thoughts? Ideas? Advice on switching from a reliance on powders to real food. I believe it is a mental shift ore than anything, as I have programmed myself to think a certain way. I am certain my results will be as good, if not better on whole foods. I have always supplemented for convenience/ laziness.

cheers

Hey mate,

I've switched to mostly not having protein bars/powders has it made a difference? not sure but it does lack the convenience sometimes.. just stick to it and it becomes the norm.

What you have written down there looks great to me, provided you have replaced the protein intake from your shakes with real food, either chicken/beef/fish etc there shouldn't be much difference. I have only been having 1 shake a day preworkout mainly for the reason I feel much better working out if I have a shake compared to real food pre workout and it is cheap, convenient and tastes good.

Agree with the above, I enjoy my shakes as they are convenient and taste like a treat. I too have conditioned myself mentally to "feel better" having one after training. I am certain my results won't be worse without, I just need to put more thought into planning and preparing food.

i guess the proof will be in the pudding with my digestive system.

What are the problems you are having? feeling bloated, gas?? do you mix your protein powder with water or milk?

And have you tried different brands of protein powder? WPC or WPI does it have any difference?

What are the problems you are having? feeling bloated, gas?? do you mix your protein powder with water or milk?

And have you tried different brands of protein powder? WPC or WPI does it have any difference?
Not bloated, but a lot of diarreah, plenty of gas, and occasional mucus in poop.

i have done lots of testing for various bacteria in my gut, been on a solid protocol of pro biotics and glutamine for a while, but it still persists.

i went to a natural health practitioner yesterday, and she thinks it's the protein powder that's the problem.

i have tried various brands, WPI, wpc, combos, casien etc.

when I have travelled overseas and not had access to powder my gut has been generally better, so will give it a go, in a more structured environment, whilst specifically looking at results.

Just make sure your meat intake is lean otherwise fat content becomes a problem. Other than that I see no real issues other than convenience.

Yeah sounds like there are some other issues there, but the protein powder certainly isn't helping things if it got better when you removed them, give it a go and see what happens, not really loosing anything by trying it, except the convenience of being able to have protein easily without pre arranging your meals.

IBS maybe?
I sometimes get it and some of my mates also.
If you hammer the booze, alcohol being a solvent it disolves the lining that protects the little hairs that trigger bowl movements (or something very closr to that) so the food triggers the movement early, before the whatever you call it can absorbe the water from it, which is what makes your shit solid.
Pop some Imodium and you'll be good to go.
And you dont have to be a seasoned, semi pro drinker to get it, alcohol just helps to develop the condition.

IBS maybe?
I sometimes get it and some of my mates also.
If you hammer the booze, alcohol being a solvent it disolves the lining that protects the little hairs that trigger bowl movements (or something very closr to that) so the food triggers the movement early, before the whatever you call it can absorbe the water from it, which is what makes your shit solid.
Pop some Imodium and you'll be good to go.
And you dont have to be a seasoned, semi pro drinker to get it, alcohol just helps to develop the condition.

I have never been much of a drinker, but I haven't had a single drop of alcohol this year.

your base diet looks good.

but i would add more fresh fruit and suggest less meat for a week or two. and then slowly add more meat back into the diet.

fruit with breakfast and lunch, then move towards vegetable afternoon and dinner.

would also drop dairy completely for a few weeks to see the effect, then re-introduce it and see what happens.

too much fruit can, if its the wrong type.

but i'd drop the bread (gluten) and replace that toast with some fruit.

What you have put down looks great mate - wont take you long to make the mental switch over to eating more whole foods!

I hardly ever use protein powder anymore!

.......I did just buy 4 boxes of Quest Bars though......haha

What type of protein powder do you usually use and how much a day?

I've found that the better the powder tastes, the more it feels like I've swallowed razor blades. Going to a quality WPI without much other junk in the powder definitely helps. Maybe try some hydrolised WPI or WPI with digestive enzymes included.

My stomach also feels much better when I regularly include yoghurt in the morning and some metamucil before bed.

What type of protein powder do you usually use and how much a day?

I've found that the better the powder tastes, the more it feels like I've swallowed razor blades. Going to a quality WPI without much other junk in the powder definitely helps. Maybe try some hydrolised WPI or WPI with digestive enzymes included.

My stomach also feels much better when I regularly include yoghurt in the morning and some metamucil before bed.
I have typically used Maxs products, most of the time their super whey, which is a WPI/WPC blend, sometimes supershred, which is WPI, and nitetime which is micellar casien.

i have two shakes a day, one at breakfast mixed with cup of oats and a banana, and 1 after training.

Stopped the the nitetime shake as I felt it disturbed my sleep and my gut truly was upset by it.

have you tried soaking your oats in water overnight to get ride of some crazy stuff?
i was told my an elite coach they do that.

just thinking of what can be eliminated to break it down and actually find out whats causing it...

edit: personally, i just eat potato and say fuc you to oats. they don't agree with me.

I have typically used Maxs products, most of the time their super whey, which is a WPI/WPC blend, sometimes supershred, which is WPI, and nitetime which is micellar casien.

i have two shakes a day, one at breakfast mixed with cup of oats and a banana, and 1 after training.

Stopped the the nitetime shake as I felt it disturbed my sleep and my gut truly was upset by it.

I usually use Max's too, but have since tried a few different brands. Some are far worse in terms of digestive pain, but some are better. Like I said before, try a hydrolised WPI, which is basically pure protein and see how you go. I would recommend Dymatize ISO100.