• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Disregard Flaxseed Oil. Acquire Fish Oil.

MaxBrenner

A Comparison of Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil and Hempseed Oil Supplementation on Selected Parameters of Cardiovascular Health in Healthy Volunteers

A comparison of fish oil, flaxseed oil and hempseed oil supplementation on selected parameters of cardiovascular health in healthy volunteers.
Kaul N, Kreml R, Austria JA, Richard MN, Edel AL, Dibrov E, Hirono S, Zettler ME, Pierce GN.
Source

Canadian Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health and Medicine, St. Boniface Hospital Research Centre, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R2H 2A6.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

The impact of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) of the n-6 and n-3 series on the cardiovascular system is well documented. To directly compare the effects of three dietary oils (fish, flaxseed and hempseed) given in concentrations expected to be self-administered in the general population on specific cardiovascular parameters in healthy volunteers.

DESIGN:

86 healthy male and female volunteers completed a 12 week double blinded, placebo controlled, clinical trial. They were randomly assigned to one of the four groups. Subjects were orally supplemented with two 1 gm capsules of placebo, fish oil, flaxseed oil or hempseed oil per day for 12 weeks.

RESULTS:

Plasma levels of the n-3 fatty acids docosahexanoic acid and eicosapentanoic acid increased after 3 months supplementation with fish oil. Alpha linolenic acid concentrations increased transiently after flaxseed supplementation. However, supplementation with hempseed oil did not significantly alter the concentration of any plasma fatty acid. The lipid parameters (TC, HDL-C, LDL-C and TG) did not show any significant differences among the four groups. Oxidative modification of LDL showed no increase in lag time over the 12 wk period. None of the dietary interventions induced any significant change in collagen or thrombin stimulated platelet aggregation and no increase in the level of inflammatory markers was observed.

CONCLUSION:

From a consumer's perspective, ingesting 2 capsules of any of these oils in an attempt to achieve cardiovascular health benefits may not provide the desired or expected result over a 3 month period.

MB Just sayin'

FYI it was a poor study on the actual subject at hand due to the fact the supplementation was nowhere near sufficient (2000mg a day). But with that said it did show the increases (or lack of) from baseline in all the Plasma Fatty Acid Profiles between the different PUFA sources, which made for much interesting reading for this nerd!

The Cool Stuff

Plasma Fatty Acid Profiles for Study Participants at 0, 6 and 12 Weeks of Dietary Intervention
GROUP DHA mean ± sem EPA mean ± sem ALA mean ± sem LA mean ± sem
Placebo 0wk 56.8 ± 4.3 22.2 ± 2.6 14.0 ± 2.3 1057 ± 60
Placebo 6wk 56.5 ± 5.0 22.4 ± 2.7 16.4 ± 2.8 1063 ± 40
Placebo 12wk 56.8 ± 4.4 22.6 ± 2.6 14.9 ± 2.8 1055 ± 41

Fish 0wk 66.1 ± 6.5 22.6 ± 3.0 19.5 ± 3.4 1027 ± 47
Fish 6wk 90.1 ± 5.6* 36.9 ± 3.7* 19.9 ± 3.4 1064 ± 49
Fish 12wk 95.4 ± 7.0* 35.0 ± 3.0* 20.4 ± 3.4 1063 ± 48

Flax 0wk 65.0 ± 4.9 23.9 ± 2.8 19.7 ± 3.1 1014 ± 35
Flax 6wk 64.9 ± 4.4 25.7 ± 2.8 27.7 ± 3.5* 1001 ± 36
Flax 12wk 64.2 ± 6.1 25.6 ± 3.0 25.1 ± 3.5 989 ± 43

Hemp 0wk 66.3 ± 7.2 26.8 ± 3.4 14.8 ± 2.5 1089 ± 42
Hemp 6wk 64.8 ± 6.5 23.4 ± 3.7 17.5 ± 2.9 1049 ± 48
Hemp 12wk 64.3 ± 7.3 24.7 ± 3.7 15.8 ± 3.0 1108 ± 56

Values are mean ± SEM and are given in ug/ml.

DHA = docosahexaenoic acid, EPA = eicosapentaenoic acid, ALA = alpha linolenic acid, LA = linoleic acid.

↵* p < 0.05 vs respective baseline value at 0 week within same group. All other comparisons were not significantly different (p > 0.05).

GLA: gamma-linolenic acid levels are not shown as there were no significant differences within each group at 0, 6 and 12 weeks nor between any of the groups (average level was 14 mg).

Old news... get back to the article you are writing for me Research Assistant. Otherwise I will tell Jules!

Old news to you and I, mind blowing news to all the nOObs going to their local health food shop and being told how Flax's is da shit!

FYI, I'll get that article done when I'm ready.

P.S Jules already knows, so you don't need to tell on me...

Old news to you and I, mind blowing news to all the nOObs going to their local health food shop and being told how Flax's is da shit!

FYI, I'll get that article done when I'm ready.

P.S Jules already knows, so you don't need to tell on me...

Might just tell on you for the sake of it. Always good to have your wife on my side.

yes but what does that have to do with the other benefits that flax has over other oils? there is more to just an oil that is cardiovascular benefit.And fish oils are just not that great due to pollution issues.There is far greater oils than fish oil.tho for some reason simpletons everywhere seem to praise it like its a god.Ill stick with my 20lts of olive oil for 50 bucks thanks as it is proven to be extremely good in all regards including but not limited to cardio.

i wonder if flax + hemp seed oil combined (to complete the 3/6 ratio) yeilds better results than fish oil?

yes but what does that have to do with the other benefits that flax has over other oils? there is more to just an oil that is cardiovascular benefit.And fish oils are just not that great due to pollution issues.There is far greater oils than fish oil.tho for some reason simpletons everywhere seem to praise it like its a god.Ill stick with my 20lts of olive oil for 50 bucks thanks as it is proven to be extremely good in all regards including but not limited to cardio.
And I wonder why you are banned....

If you read the results, Fish Oil is clearly better (overall) than the other oils. So in oil form flax doesn't stack up. So are you going to take flax in powder form for what, the fibre intake. IMO unless you have no other option for fibre intake in your diet, yeah Flax maybe suitable...but that is not what it is all about.

i wonder if flax + hemp seed oil combined (to complete the 3/6 ratio) yeilds better results than fish oil?

The omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is already way out of wack in most typical diets anyway. Improving those ratio's comes back to increasing omega 3 intake :)

Used to use flax alllll the time back in the day....fish oil by far is better...

I didnt even understand what u said LS....umad/10

If you study the outcomes, Seafood Oil is clearly better (overall) than the other sebum. So in oil type flax doesn't collection up. So are you going to take flax in powdered type for what, the fiber consumption. IMO unless you have no other choice for fiber consumption eating plan, really Flax maybe appropriate...but that is not what it is all about.