• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do u prefer barbell or dumbells?

Single arm press where you are holding onto a squat rack with the free hand is a great way to teach a properly executed movement.

Bench pressing dumbbells will naturally bring the arms across the torso changeling the emphasis towards a more pec dominant exercise.

DB rowing on a bench is a more efficiant way to work the upper back while placing a lot less stress on the lumbar region, the lumbar in that position of a bent BB row will fatigue much sooner than the larger muscles of the back doing the mechanical work compared to a DB supported row.

A supported row machine is very effective, but can be uncomfortable on the chest for some.

Yeah more or less, I've been caught under a brand new bb before on bench, slid it to my lap, sat up and climbed out, the super sharp knurling on a new bb cut my stomach to bits!! Lol

Heh. Yeah I did flat BB after already doing quite a bit of other chest work and on my 3rd and final set started to drop it.. caught it.. my left arm took the load near the brachialis. Haven't been too keen on flat bb since then.

Single arm press where you are holding onto a squat rack with the free hand is a great way to teach a properly executed movement.

Bench pressing dumbbells will naturally bring the arms across the torso changeling the emphasis towards a more pec dominant exercise.

DB rowing on a bench is a more efficiant way to work the upper back while placing a lot less stress on the lumbar region, the lumbar in that position of a bent BB row will fatigue much sooner than the larger muscles of the back doing the mechanical work compared to a DB supported row.

A supported row machine is very effective, but can be uncomfortable on the chest for some.

Since since shifting to an upper/lower split, I've moved from bent overs to chest supported t-bars for a while so I can keep working the back, without being held back by my lower back. I suppose DB rows might be preferable.. but noone use the t-bar row at FF so I get free reign.

/edit - soz4dblpost

i never BB row only DB but i have some back issues which makes me not confident doing the BB version

i never BB row only DB but i have some back issues which makes me not confident doing the BB version

I really believe that for a muscle and or a group of muscles to grow in strength efficiently, quickly and safely, it's got to do mechanical work, as opposed to a stabilizing action in that the muscle needs to be stimulated from a Pre-stretched position to a fully contracted position under constant load for rep's to fatigue.

The lumbar is no different, and I feel one needs to find a way to strengthen that area safely using the method I mentioned.

nah i havent. not as wide as sumo i dont think

I had bad ligament strains in lower back I switched to sumo squats sumo d/ls pretty much even leg press sumo and my back is stronger n better off give them ago let me know how it goes

I've only seen a couple of guys use the 60's at my gym..
They were very big dudes!
I'm not sure your serious

What are you using 90 kg dumbells for ?
Dumbell Deads. I like to mix things up occassionally. Using the Dumbells takes a much more natural ROM, but it is only occassionally.

But in general I like to use both Barbells and Dumbells (and some machines occassionally).

Dumbell Deads. I like to mix things up occassionally. Using the Dumbells takes a much more natural ROM, but it is only occassionally.

But in general I like to use both Barbells and Dumbells (and some machines occassionally).

A dumbell dead? Standing on its end? U mean a plié squat? To get 90 kgs on it they must be Longer than standard or are you useing 10kg plates?

A dumbell dead? Standing on its end? U mean a plié squat? To get 90 kgs on it they must be Longer than standard or are you useing 10kg plates?
two 20kilo plates either side, dumbell bar is a heavy duty one 5-10kilo I assume.

I do both bench press with the barbell and an inclined bench with the dumbbells, the disadvantage i see with dumbbells is my by best bench is 100 kilos, my best dumbbell press is 40 kilos in each hand, I am not sure how much the dumbbells in my gym go over the 50kg mark but I find lugging the 40kg ones to the bench and then getting them up in position a pain.