• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does Olympic weightlifting build strength?

I would contend that the olympic lifts do not build strength. In the link you've provided they're not suggesting it does either. They're suggesting that being stronger is better, which is common sense I would have thought.

Olympic lifts do demonstrate / display strength, which is a lot different from building it. They do however build power, coordination, speed. And they're fun to do ;)

Leonid Taranenko holds the world record in the Clean & Jerk with 266kg. His press was 230kg. This weight has not been matched since. Hossein Rezazadeh came close with 263.5kg. He bench presses 220kg and overhead presses "+200kg"

Leonid Taranenko holds the world record in the Clean & Jerk with 266kg. His press was 230kg. This weight has not been matched since. Hossein Rezazadeh came close with 263.5kg. He bench presses 220kg and overhead presses "+200kg"

Does this answer your original question of "Does oly lifting build strength?". No it doesn't. It says that oly lifters are strong. Oly lifts didn't make them strong. Squats and presses made them strong.

I wasn't really asking the question it was merely a question to spark discussion on the topic and giving some insight on whether limit strength is important

Would a better question be, would powerlifters benefit from additional strength training in oly lifting as well....?
Re: you lift like a girl thread..... them chicks are friggin solid......

When American weightlifting coaches remind us that the Olympic weightlifters from other countries are using steroids and we’re not, they are actually reminding us that they are stronger than we are.

Is this it?

Part of it yeah
I thought it was pretty clear this thread was supposed to be a discussion of the article posted along with "Does Olympic weightlifting build strength?" - is dedicated strength work needed in Olympic lifting and is it pushed hard enough

but obviously not

I think doing heavy cleans, jerks and snatches will improve strength in and of themselves (at least for beginners), but they're certainly not the best strength builders out there. Once technique is good, strength will probably be the most controllable factor for increasing the olympic lift numbers, and that strength will come most effectively with simpler, brute strength type lifts.

Last edited:
Does Olympic weightlifting build strength?
Yes but... not absolute strength. The squat lift that it utilised by Olympic weightlifters is done so solely for its absolute strength delivery, an attribute every Olympic lifter needs to have. However Olympic weightlifters are power athletes above all else, where speed/explosiveness of movement takes precedence. For pure/absolute strength, one needs to look at a power lifter, where power/explosiveness in a lift is not a requirement.

It was certainly unfortunate when a power lifter decided to take exception to my stating that there’s no room for a deadlift in an Olympic weightlifter’s program. By dead lift here, I’m speaking of balls to the wall heavy dead lifting (for pure strength gains). What an Olympic weightlifter needs most is power in his pulls, and that cannot be achieved by utilising a pure and an absolute strength movement such as the mighty dead lift (mighty when it’s used for its intended purpose by a power lifter). An Olympic weightlifter on the other hand would be much better served by utilising explosive pulls off the floor as is evident by Olympic weightlifters worldwide. However even then, there are coaches such as the magnificent Bulgarian coach Mr Ivan Abadjiev, who reduced the Olympic weightlifter’s supplementary lifts to no more than one or two, namely the front squat, and if injured, then the back squat was used instead. But nothing except the snatch, clean & jerk, and front squat was used when the Bulgarians were dominating the world of Olympic weightlifting. One of the reason given for not including even the clean and snatch pulls was that the line of travel could be wrong resulting in a bad habit becoming worse. No one has to agree with this way of coaching, but none can deny the results achieved.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Too Fadi's point I know Pendlay does not prescribe heavy Deads to his guys as he feels the lifters spine often ends up in flexion and limits the carry over to Oly Lift.s

Too Fadi's point I know Pendlay does not prescribe heavy Deads to his guys as he feels the lifters spine often ends up in flexion and limits the carry over to Oly Lift.s

Fact: Olympic weightlifters would often pull a weight that is approximately 10% over their 1RM. For me back in the early 80s, that translated into performing few sets of 3s with about 170-180kg. Best C&J at that time was 160kg. So why only 10% over the lifter's 1RM and not (say) 20,30 or more percentage over? Because speed/explosiveness can not be maintained with a weight that is too heavy, in addition to losing lift form and risking a lower back injury.

Fadi.

Are there any vids of Fadis lifting days?
Would love to see the Yoda in action!
No, no vids Deep. Things have certainly changed since those early days though. What with mobile phones these days that have 8mb cameras built within!

When I came back in 2010, someone did make a vid of my lifts, but I haven’t seen it. I don't seem to be lucky when it comes to making vids, as was the case when I was learning to fly, the instructor goes: "Oh, I left the video camera back in the office...!"

Oh well, never mind.

Fadi.

Last edited:
fadi, I am struggling with being a little slow in my first pull....while the rest of the lift is fast. Would lighter[/I pulls fix this? By lighter I mean 90-100% of my max lift......

fadi, I am struggling with being a little slow in my first pull....while the rest of the lift is fast. Would lighter[/I pulls fix this? By lighter I mean 90-100% of my max lift......

Do you have any of these in your workouts?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqcTAY5eL1Y]150kg snatch pull - YouTube[/ame]

Do you mean 'do I do 150kg snatch pulls?

I have pulls every now and again. Tho my program is built on a 4 day schedule and i only get in 1-2 days....I miss a lot of work.