• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Favourite back workout

The lats attach to the most part of the spine, wrap around the rib cage and insert under the arm, to achieve full stretch of the lat, the upper arm should be placed at around eye level, full contraction; the arm finishes inline and just back of the torso.
So this indicates the the chin-up is the prime exercise for this movement.

The row is IMO an all round back builder.

using combinations over a period of time, with all the exercises mentioned, you should build a thick back, instead of the usual ironing board flat backs you commonly see at the gym.

I'll just add, that the "pre-stretch" on an exercise is the most underrated aspect, most people move into the stretched position too quickly to benefit.
If you move too quick, muscles response is to protect the joint.

I'll just add, that the "pre-stretch" on an exercise is the most underrated aspect, most people move into the stretched position too quickly to benefit.
If you move too quick, muscles response is to protect the joint.

What's the pre-stretch? Like side bends, broom stick stretch? Good to do these in between sets yeah.

Rack Deadlifts are a much better Back exercise than conventional....if your really wanting to hit your lats/middle back - takes the lower back out of it to a degree....

What's the pre-stretch? Like side bends, broom stick stretch? Good to do these in between sets yeah.

pre-stretch is the integral part of productive exercise and has nothing to do with the bull shit , nonsense and lies that is pushed today.

let me use the pull-up or chin-up as an example;

you see most trying to get 10 or 15 reps, where in reality, done correctly could only achieve 5, they do this by limiting the range of motion and moving so fast they are unable to maintain constant tension of the muscles being stimulated.

the pre-stetch of this exercise is at the end of the negative portion of the movement, where you hang and your body weight is pulling the muscles involed in the movement, if one lowers too quickly or in the worse case just drops, the muscles will contract, but if you move slowly, very slowly in the negative, the muscles will not contract or spasm as a protective response and you will be able to safely move into a position of full extension under load, which is the key for healthy flexible and strong joints.

other examples, the chest pad of a row should be set so that you can barely grab the handles.
the bench press, the hands positioned at the right width ensure maximum pre-stretch.

All proper exercises will have the ability to apply pre-stretch, if it doesn't then the exercise is not a true exercise.

Chins

Max rep set, break, try to equal your last set, then a break, try to equal your last set, then a break, etc....

At 110kg it's usually 12,10,8,7 for me. Another option is 10,10,10,10,10. A very hard 20 minute workout.

I do more balanced routines too but this is a good 'short on time' workout.

DB rows with 1 arm on the DB rack. Everyone seems to do them on flat bench with a their back Parrnell to floor but these feel so much better.

I do them off the back of a bench, just change the incline of the bench until it's at the right height.

I think it's inconsiderate to do them off the dumbbell rack. If you do them there then you're in the way and people can't access the rack.