• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Feel like I've reached a plateau - require knowledge! Or have I?

At 90kg 3000cal wouldn't even be maintance, maybe if you sat on your arse all day, but if your active and training I would think you would need to be on at least 4000cal to put on any size

i am 90kg, and get fat on 3000 calories a day.

Train 5-6 days per week, but have a relatively sedentary lifestyle besides walking and gardening.

i am 90kg, and get fat on 3000 calories a day.

Train 5-6 days per week, but have a relatively sedentary lifestyle besides walking and gardening.
Yeah I am in the same, boat, then again I sit behind a desk all day as well, as much as I try to get up and walk around and avoid my desk at all costs, it still isn't an active job.

I'm on 3600 calories and can still see my abs so obviously my metabolism is functioning really well.
I'll give myself credit for being pretty consistent and a hardworker in the gym.
I'll bring the calories up to 3800.

That's just over 800 above my maintainence.

As others have said, not exactly a plateau

You are just advancing to the next level

Welcome to 'the grind'

If you kept getting old gains levels you would beatpro BBers after another few years of training

I'm on 3800cal a day at 85kg and it feels like I'm eating way to much, but no dramatic increases in the scales, just really bloated at night time,

Do you guys lump your calories into main meals?

Not asking due to metabolism bro science

Have just found that this is the only practical way to get decent calories in (boring to eat constantly)

Do you guys lump your calories into main meals?

Not asking due to metabolism bro science

Have just found that this is the only practical way to get decent calories in (boring to eat constantly)

I generally only eat two meals. Could be anywhere from 2000 calories to 10000 per day.

What times?
Morning/evening?

Usually lunch and tea. Sometimes breakfast and tea.

2 meals makes it easier for me to not overeat. I like to keep my bigger meal for night as it keeps me satisfied before bed.

In a perfect world I would just eat at much as I want whenever I want.

I agree Ride29er. And as I said, your maintenance is not 3000 if you are currently eating 3600 and not gaining weight. I don't care what an online calc says, if you have real data use it.

One thing which is common is miscalculations of cals. When people are trying to lose weight, they underestimate and when trying to gain they overestimate.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and ate 4 pop tarts and a protein shake. 1000 cals down in 5 mins. No one said it would be easy.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and ate 4 pop tarts and a protein shake. 1000 cals down in 5 mins. No one said it would be easy.

Hahaha that's commitment there, I'm looking at bumping up to a tad over 4000cal soon but I think I'm going to have get some high cal shakes to do it, with work being so busy I don't get time to constantly eat.
It's funny a few years ago I was on 1800cal a day to make weight with MMA and was only eating twice a day so I could eat decent size meals, now Im having trouble fitting all my cals into one day

I find that there's way too much focus been used on one side of the coin instead of balancing out the equation. In English; too much focus on eating/calories and not enough on what effect exercising/frequency plays in this whole gaining/losing weight business. You grow on your days off; you grow when you're sitting watching TV, you grow when you're relaxing, you grow when you're not in the gym, you grow when you train just enough and no more, you grow when you understand that your extracurricular activities have to be taken into account and that too much of their inclusions even though is great for maintaining or even speeding your metabolism, could be one of your weakest link in this whole chain of aiming to supercompensate and moving forward.

Go ahead and eat a ton of calories, it would mean nothing unless you learn to slow down, allowing those calories to build you up instead of keeping your fast metabolism ticking over. Hit the iron hard; total body workout three times a week, and enjoy growth time during your four days of smart recovery. The more you train, as in the higher the frequency (irrespective of body part being trained), the faster your internal engine is going to be revving, it's that simple. If it was your V8 car doing it, you'd see a mechanic and ask him to reduce the revs slightly so as to not guzzle so much fuel whilst sitting at the light idling away, wouldn't you?! So why not the same with your own metabolism and its revving cycle? After 35 years of training, if I've learnt one thing about gaining or losing weight; it's the fact that you can not ignore the speed of your metabolism (or lack thereof), and hope your diet alone would take care of business. Focusing on one side of the coin won't cut it; only when you take into consideration your training frequency (and your extracurricular activities), coupled with what you're eating, would you then be able to determine where this magnificent ship will sail.

Changed my workout regime, so I get a mid week break around my two longer workouts. Coming in this morning into my last workout, I'm already 400g heavier than the start of the week. Obviously shows that it's crazy what a bit of extra rest can do. Looking a lot fuller too. It's actually so strange.

Monday - 1 hour
Tuesday - 2.5 hours
Wedensday - REST
Thursday - 2.5 hours
Friday - 1 hour
Sat/Sun - possible calves session

Pugsley, a rhetorical question if I may.........
What the frig takes 2.5 hours in the gym

Da volume man.
I usually combine one part of the leg and train it for one hour.
Then do an upper body part for another hour. Then stretching, abs and a warm down.