• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

feeling depressed

Mate you are 22 and have travelled to Europe 3-4 times:confused::confused:

I think it's time you knuckle down and do what needs to be done, I am 44 and have never been to europe, when I was 22 I was working two jobs as well as studying, hitting the gym three to four times a week and training martial arts twice a week, hardly had time to sleep and no time to be depressed.

To be honest I think you have too much time on your hands to over think stuff, get busy and start filling in your time.

PS all the advice given here, even though slightly different from person to person is very very good:)

Now get some sleep, get up tomorrow at 7am, have a shower, shave, put some clean cloths on, get a hair cut if you need one and go out and start looking for a part time job. Hit the Gym in the arvo, train your guts out and do it again the next day and so on, get into a routine, good luck, wish I was 22 again mate the world is at your feet!

Alpha, listen to Big Mick!

Mick, you sound like my mum. And I mean that as a massive compliment! :)

+1 to everything above.

Other things to try:

Get more sunlight - sunlight has anti-depressant effects.

Exercise more to release those feel good chemicals.

Get laid -a lot. Or rub a few out, whatever suits best, for same reason as exercise.

Live in the moment. Don't worry about the past or the future cause you can't do anything about them, only the present. Focus completely on what you are currently doing and do it to the best of your ability, even for mundane tasks like cleaning the toilet.

And, if it goes on for much longer, get professional help.

All the best mate.

Mate you are 22 and have travelled to Europe 3-4 times:confused::confused:

I think it's time you knuckle down and do what needs to be done, I am 44 and have never been to europe, when I was 22 I was working two jobs as well as studying, hitting the gym three to four times a week and training martial arts twice a week, hardly had time to sleep and no time to be depressed.

To be honest I think you have too much time on your hands to over think stuff, get busy and start filling in your time.

PS all the advice given here, even though slightly different from person to person is very very good:)

Now get some sleep, get up tomorrow at 7am, have a shower, shave, put some clean cloths on, get a hair cut if you need one and go out and start looking for a part time job. Hit the Gym in the arvo, train your guts out and do it again the next day and so on, get into a routine, good luck, wish I was 22 again mate the world is at your feet!

Yes, first left when I was 18 because I just felt like I needed to get away and wasn't doing anything at the time and felt like a good choice. Second time was a year or so later and for same reasons. Both times I left with hardly any money and was pretty lucky TBH.

+1 to everything above.

Other things to try:

Get more sunlight - sunlight has anti-depressant effects.

Exercise more to release those feel good chemicals.

Get laid -a lot. Or rub a few out, whatever suits best, for same reason as exercise.

Live in the moment. Don't worry about the past or the future cause you can't do anything about them, only the present. Focus completely on what you are currently doing and do it to the best of your ability, even for mundane tasks like cleaning the toilet.

And, if it goes on for much longer, get professional help.

All the best mate.
I have a really nice and beautiful girlfriend, so I guess I am also lucky about that.

I think I know what I need to do, it's just getting the ball rolling.

all the best alpha moth
everyone has given some good advice, but i agree with having too much time on your hands to over think- this happens to me..
when i have too much time on my hands almost anything can scare or depress me.. from why did that person delete me off facebook? i didnt do anything? to thinking about all the family problems and issues which gets overwhelming or even getting paranoid about ghosts late at night when i have too much time to think..

just keep yourself busy. i have been in that rut where i wake up late- dont want to do anything etc.. if u keep doing what youve always done, you will get what you have always gotten-
so change something.
i learnt the hard way and failed heaps of subjects in my first year of uni.. donnt doo thisss im paying the price now in my final year when all my friends have finished, 1. why did you originally chose radiography?- do u know anyone who is one? you should speak to them about what they do on a day to day basis- because if you dont like it, dont waste any time and transfer to a course you'll be happier doing...( dont be scared to do this) it will save you time and money in the long run)
all the best- cherish your girlfriend and open up to her :)

in regads to your father- youve got a whole lot of stuff in your past- if you think it affects your behaviour and thoughts regularly you should consider counselling..
everything happens for a reason and you need to stop replaying in your head what could have happened, because it is over, it did not happen, and it wasnt meant to happen- thanks to you.

good luck with everything man

Oops - forgot one.

Laugh - a lot. Watch shows/movies that make you laugh. Read stuff that makes you laugh. Hang out with people that makes you laugh.

I recommend starting with the pooing at work thread in the general topics section if you haven't read that yet.

Ghosts... Mocha.. what? :eek: lol...

With regards to you Alpha, heavy stuff - but actually being open about it is pretty much the biggest step you can take. It is worse when kept within. Depression needs to be taken seriously, but I am with Big Mick on the "holy shit, you've been to Europe 4 times and I'm yet to leave Australia"

I think you're well traveled, and this might have been a disservice to you (not saying that travel is bad, I desire to do much of the same - but I have seen it in my friends and brother, that you're on cloud 9 after travel - your eyes have been opened, and coming back to "reality" and a 9-5 is no where near as exciting). My brother is just coming to terms with being back in shitty Melbourne).

You're 22, shit man, enjoy these years. I am not that far ahead (27 this month) but shit i'd like to rewind just a little bit with the knowledge I have now.)

If it is travel you want to do, pull yourself together save the cash and go for it. Myself and a myriad of mates either went a few paths

1) Some worked their ass off, didn't leave the country, got themselves 2 mortgages with the picket fence.. yada yada, but I guess they're happy
2) Others could not even stand wasting their twenties on this and jet setted for years (some 4-5 at a time) while working and traveling.
3) Some did a bit of column a and b.

I think you're "nothing to look forward to" is the work of idle hands. Idle hands are work of the devil. You have too much time to analyze. Time much time to think. Sometimes you over think, worrying about the future (something that hasn't even occurred) while missing where you are right now. You don't need to know what you want to do or where you want to be 100%, you just need to do it. Keep moving. Sure, you can a plan and have visions, but shit, they will change. Analysis paralysis can induce a depressive state, where you feel like you're running on the spot and have nothing.

If you get hold of the latest episode of the simpsons, watch it. I am sure you can relate as many others will. It tells a good story where Bart is tired of life and wants to be on permanent vacaction (it is the cartoon which keeps on giving!). We're all in the same boat, ultimately we will return to the dirt all of our material possessions will count for absolutely shit. We must enjoy the moments - laugh, take photos and create memories because they are what you will reflect on in your quieter moments down the track.

But at 22 you're only a 1/4 of the way through this one life you have right now. We far too often preoccupy our thoughts with money which ebbs and flows throughout life. The true currency of life is time. It cannot be bought, slowed or stopped - only wasted. Use it wisely!

The true currency of life is time. It cannot be bought, slowed or stopped - only wasted. Use it wisely!

I love the above Minchia!

So true.

You're a wise lad for a 27yo ;)

I think its just that time in life, everyone goes through it
for I had a doctor tell me I was a depressant suicide waiting
to happen. Jeez doc thanks, but like a week latter I was fine.

I think everyone wants to see the future, wants to know what
they are meant to do with their lives and we never do know.

I have often thought about giving uni up but 3 years in
and 2 to go its not really worth it just gotta stick to it.

Find something that gives you 40% enjoyment 50% hard work
and 10% reward (eg people appreciate your work etc)
and I think that's the best mix otherwise
your ego gets too big, you enjoy it too much and get bored.

Hard work is not bad work as it keeps your mind off stuff.
What everyone else has said it good I just want to add
my support cheers.