• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Finding the ideal proportion of weights between your different lifts

Not sure if I came across correctly there with the thread title, but how can I check what the ideal proportion of weights I should be lifting/pressing based on my current level of progress?

Eg. I know my bench is way out of proportion with my squat and deadlift. (I was one of those peeps that only did benches and DB curls at the gym until I wisened up and actually followed a program.) However it would be nice to know what bench figures represent a good 'proportion', relative to my squat or deadlift etc.

Also I am not sure what to do with this imbalance. Maybe deload on my bench for a week or two, wait for my squats to catch up? That is my archilles heel so to speak. Even my deadlifts have overtaken my squats heaps in the last month, before they were actually my weakest figures.

I dont know why your even worried about this?

Everyone is diff and has diff strengths on diff lifts...why would u want to lay-off a lift so your other lifts catch up?

Just work on your weakness and go from there...every single lift should be given the same attention...it does not matter if one lift is ahead of another...

Thanks for the answers... I am curious since I am concerned about muscle imbalances having an effect on the potential for injury or even causing joint problems/pain in future. I also wasn't sure whether such imbalances would even out as I continue to train, or get worse. Its good to know that things should improve over the next 6-9 months if I stick with the program (at least thats what I have penciled in as my goal).

Thanks for the answers... I am curious since I am concerned about muscle imbalances having an effect on the potential for injury or even causing joint problems/pain in future. I also wasn't sure whether such imbalances would even out as I continue to train, or get worse. Its good to know that things should improve over the next 6-9 months if I stick with the program (at least thats what I have penciled in as my goal).

You have to do alot to get bad muscle imbalances so that is def nothing to worry about...

Hmmm, that brings me to another, yet similar question.

If you are stronger on one side than the other, say doing dumbell rows, should you train your strong side with more reps than your week side?
If I could DB row say 60kg (just an example) with my left arm 10 times, but 12 times with my right arm....should I stop at 10 reps with the right arm?
I was wondering about this as I will be making a set of dumbbell handles that go to 100kg each in the coming weeks for DB rows etc. I've only had barbell for heavy stuff thus far so this thread got me thinking.

Hmmm, that brings me to another, yet similar question.

If you are stronger on one side than the other, say doing dumbell rows, should you train your strong side with more reps than your week side?
If I could DB row say 60kg (just an example) with my left arm 10 times, but 12 times with my right arm....should I stop at 10 reps with the right arm?
I was wondering about this as I will be making a set of dumbbell handles that go to 100kg each in the coming weeks for DB rows etc. I've only had barbell for heavy stuff thus far so this thread got me thinking.

Train each side the same mate....sometimes you will get 1-2 extra reps on either side, sometimes the same...but dont make it a point to try and get extra reps out or less reps on either side...

Mine - squat 195 kg, bench 115, deadlift 210. My bench sucks. I can push press the same weight, with minimal leg drive :S

simply because something is lagging does not mean you should slow progression of the lifts overtaking it, my gains on squat have been quite fast and consistent for a while now, i was stuck on a 180 dead for like 4 or 5 months lol finally started to move not long ago, bench is slow but still moving..... agonizingly slow lol

or another way of putting it is why stop something that is going awesome just because it seems out of proportion compared to other lifters