• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

First time cut. Organizing

SWH

Alright, well i've been training just under a year now. learnt ALOT in this time. I've gone from 5-6 balanced meals every 3 hrs, 'clean' eating etc to actually doing a little more in depth research and realizing that it can be all very simple. I've stuck to counting my cals and focusing on that more than how often and how many times I eat and i've seen almost a 20kg increase in about 9-10 months. Most of this being a fat increase is arguable but my results don't lie and I happen to be really happy.

Anyway, for the first time i'm planning to cut off some of the weight that i've gained, i'm looking to lose maybe 10kg while retaining as much strength as possible. I was wondering if anybody has any advice or any helpful articles available that might be worth reading? At the moment, i'd say I would eat around 4k cals daily, weight slowly goes up at this level of calories. I was wondering what an acceptable amount of cals would be at a cut?

Also wondering how important physical activity for calorie burning is during a cutting stage? Should I construct a program for burning cals? I was thinking of starting on some conditioning work (Tyre work, sleds, prowlers, farmers walks etc) while cutting, if this had any benefit at all?

Just looking on opinions and help. So that would be greatly appreciated :)

Dont over complicate it. Just take 10% off the cals you're eating now and continue doing the same workload. Random cardio sessions aren't really needed if you're eating 10% less cals a day. Try that for.....fuck l dont know? until the initial weight loss stops, access where you're at and then possibly take another 5-10% calories off...rinse and repeat until happy. You dont need to do some 'bro fat burning' routine either. Just stick to what you're doing now and keep trying to add more reps or more weight.

Disclaimer: RV is borderline retarded so wait till other people tell you the right thing to do.

I've lost about 6-7 kg in about 6 months...I think if you want to hold onto your strength this is a good way to go :)

hey bro, the best way to maintain your strength is to definitely ease into the cut. if you were eating 4k calories a day you definitely don't want to drop to 3k or under straight away.

taper it down slowly, maybe 100 calories every 3-4 days until you're a couple hundred under you're maintenance calories, whatever that may be

unless you're trying to get to 5% bodybuilding shredded, you shouldn't lose much strength. keep training hard and heavy and don't do anything drastic in regards to diet and you'll be fine

as for cardio its really up to, the more cardio you do, the more you can eat. but tbh its really not gonna be beneficial for trying to maintain your strength, shit like prowler sled etc could really feed into your squatting strength, especially in a deficit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfsM45VQPU&feature=plcp]Maintaining Strength while CUTTING - Q&A Eric Helms - YouTube[/ame]
watch that vid, dude definitely knows his shit and will help out heaps

good luck

Thanks for your feedback. I'm still not really good with calculating cals in food, i used to when i first started but since then i've just developed a habit of eating a lot and i really just eat foods that will fill my daily macro and cal goal which is yeah i don't really know. but i've been growing so everything has been okay :) cutting i'm sure will be much more different. i'm gonna have to find my maintenance to start with. then get into the habit of recording what i eat and stuff

I would advise a very slow cut if you do it or better yet sit at maintenance which will slowly drop fat as you add some muscle. From your pics you could do this for a couple of % points at least without losing any mass overall.

All you need is patience and some consistent tracking (skin folds, photo, measurements etc). I also like to utilise mini cuts here and there to drop a little fat.

I think if you have the patience then dropping 200cals a week is a good idea.

For me, I just switched from bulking at 3500 to cutting at 2500 and estimated TDEE of about 2900. Done it before, strength was retained just fine.

Agree with Dave re the assessment of progress too. Measurements, pics & skinfolds are the go.

BTW I didn't realise you were only 16. Looking pretty damn strong for you're age mate!

I'm almost all sorted for my first cut :) but i was wondering and didn't want to make a whole new thread, how should i train while cutting? i'm still going to be strength training, 2 primary lifts a day w/ assistance work, but should i be setting with extra volume? 5x5 or more? or should i stay down at 3x5 + 1 high volume set as i am now? and should i follow a weight progression program *531 etc* or just stay at a weight and add 2.5kg weekly whenever i hit full sets?

If anything you would reduce volume but I do that based on how I'm feeling each workout. f
ull of energy = train as normal
less energy = cut some assistance stuff

Yeah i'm just gonna see how it goes, go to 3x5 of set weights and whenever i get full sets go up by 2.5kg.

I'm doing an IF fasting/iifym cut