• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fish and mercury - how much is too much?

pistachio

So some weeks, I might eat upwards of 1kg of fish and 50-100 fish oil caps.

I'm sure this is not unusual of most people on here.

Is anyone concerned about the mercury levels in the fish? Fish oil is supposedly tested, although I'm sure it still contains some amount of mercury (and at higher doses of fish oil, this could be problematic). Add this on to the fish, and it becomes a bit concerning...

Eat your fish raw if you are concerned about mercury there is evidence to suggest mercury is not retained, cooking the fish changes it's characteristics.

Eat your fish raw if you are concerned about mercury there is evidence to suggest mercury is not retained, cooking the fish changes it's characteristics.

Wouldnt the mercury still remain, or are you saying that cooking changes the characteristics of the mercury?

man, how the hell did i miss that? that was only like a few days ago too... still, this is a bit more general, not just tuna, but any fish (and fish oil). the bigger the fish, the worse the mercury. i usually have basa fillets or something similar, can usually buy for about $8/kg or less

Depends on the fish, depends on your genes and process of elimination

i get the first two, but what do you mean by the process of elimination?

I'm not your googlebitch, look it up yourself and don't be lazy.

i have done my own research, i am interested in other people's opinions. i didn't ask for your opinion in particular, you freely gave it. when i asked for clarification on it, you respond as above.

for someone who claims that others behaviour is 'kunty', you sure act like one yourself

for someone who claims that others behaviour is 'kunty', you sure act like one yourself

I am. :)

The important thing is you were given an idea, use it or not I don't really care that much, but if you do and it helps, that's wonderful.

i have done my own research, i am interested in other people's opinions. i didn't ask for your opinion in particular, you freely gave it. when i asked for clarification on it, you respond as above.

No offense mate, but if you had done your research then you wouldn't be asking about fish like basa etc. Mercury is an accumulator and is therefore only an issue in older and larger fish. Basa (if you had done your research) are harvested within 12 months of age, therefore they do not have enough time to accumulate a mercury level that would be in any way shape or form a worry. Same with canned tuna and salmon in australia, they are generally smaller fish that are young and fattened up in pens at an accelerated rate, and thus haven't had time to accumulate mercury. Food testing and standards in Australia are some of the highest in the world, I wouldn't be concerned about eating Australian seafood.

But for me, the fact that Basa swim in cages underneath huts which people in vietnam use as a toilet would be a bigger concern for me, plus we have some of the best seafood in the world - I dont understand why anyone would eat imported fish :confused: seems crazy to me.

No offense mate, but if you had done your research then you wouldn't be asking about fish like basa etc. Mercury is an accumulator and is therefore only an issue in older and larger fish. Basa (if you had done your research) are harvested within 12 months of age, therefore they do not have enough time to accumulate a mercury level that would be in any way shape or form a worry. Same with canned tuna and salmon in australia, they are generally smaller fish that are young and fattened up in pens at an accelerated rate, and thus haven't had time to accumulate mercury. Food testing and standards in Australia are some of the highest in the world, I wouldn't be concerned about eating Australian seafood.

But for me, the fact that Basa swim in cages underneath huts which people in vietnam use as a toilet would be a bigger concern for me, plus we have some of the best seafood in the world - I dont understand why anyone would eat imported fish :confused: seems crazy to me.

i wasn't asking about basa, just fish in general and whether other people are concerned about it. i'm not that concerned myself, as you correctly said, basa are a smaller fish, so the mercury is not as big a worry.

we may have some of the best seafood, but it is freakin expensive!! tell me where you can buy aussie seafood for $8/kg and i'm there!

Yeah i dont think they are much better in all honesty for a host of other reasons.

But MOST tuna cans state thailand as country of origin. Or "made in australia form imported ingridients.