• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fish oil tablets

John555

Banned
Hi,
Regarding fish oil tablets, how many calories are in a standard 1 gram tablet?
Whats the maximum amount I should take? And anyone recommended any good brands?

Thanks.

Go to iherb.com and have a look out Now Foods DHA 500 fish oil. That is a quality fish oil that you could take 6 a day of and be set. The other stuff you usually find in Aus is crap at about a quarter of the dha per tablet which means 4 times as many caps and probably twice the price at least in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

I take these.

pic.62_20070420163050.jpg

There is actually something more to the premium brands than the concentration of DHA and EPA; in fact, there are inexpensive brands that are very concentrated, and premium brands that are not. I used to just take the cheap stuff because I couldn't find any substantive difference between the cheap stuff and the good stuff. I did hear a LOT of stories from people who got no results until they switched to the premium brands, but I dismissed it as placebo or something. However, I am now sold on the premium brands.

The explanation is a little convoluted, but it is good to know, and this is one of the most important supplements you can take, so it is worth winding through.

The EFAs are present in fish in triglyceride form. In processing, the fish oil is treated with ethanol to extract the oil; the resulting oil is in ethyl ester form.

Triglycerides form is pretty stable; ethyl ester form is not. EFAs are very volatile in general and easily oxidized. Once they are oxidized, they are no longer healthy oils, they are the dreaded trans fats.

The premium brands go through additional processing to put the EFAs back into the original, stable, triglyceride form. They may also undergo other processing to remove mercury and other pollutants, to remove the fishy smell / taste, etc. This is where the price is coming from.

This information is not really getting much coverage, virtually none until the last year or so. The manufacturers of ethyl ester form are defending their products, but what do you expect them to do? In fact the makers of the prescription fish oil, Lovaza or whatever, actually make a point of saying their product is the inferior ethyl ester form in their advertisements.

I think part of this is, the drug company running the ad knows many people have no idea what "ethyl esters" means, but they will assume that the prescription form is in some way superior to the Sam's Club form because it contains "ethyl esters." In the mean time, they (or actually their insurances companies, i.e., you and me) are paying way WAY way more than the premium brands cost for the prescription brand; they drug companies are gouging and they don't even have the class to gouge on the good stuff.

I suspect another part of this is that the premium brand makers are hesitant to brag on their triglyceride form oil, because people know that blood triglycerides are a bad thing, and they will be confused and think that triglyceride form oil will raise their blood triglycerides. Ironically, lowering blood triglycerides is one of the things fish oil is most effective at, and it is the triglyceride (TG) form, not the ethyl ester (EE) form, that is most effective.

Eagle
Biomedica Nutraceuticals
Blackmores Practitioner
Brauer Professional
Cell-Logic
Doctor's Formula-Nutrition Care
Metagenics
Nordic Naturals Practitioner Range
Nutrition Care/Nutrisearch
Orthoplex

Proabably missed some...

Eagle
Biomedica Nutraceuticals
Blackmores Practitioner
Brauer Professional
Cell-Logic
Doctor's Formula-Nutrition Care
Metagenics
Nordic Naturals Practitioner Range
Nutrition Care/Nutrisearch
Orthoplex

Proabably missed some...

what's swisse like? I was given 3 containers of the Wild Krill Oil on the basis it's better...it stinks

no idea about swiss.. Anything you buy at woolies i dont usually consider it to be aimed at theraputic treatments ect

30 a day! I take 6 (3g worth of Dha and 1.5 of EPA per day) how much do you get a day Joel?
Posted via Mobile Device

Me too Dave, the blackmores brain stuff 5:1.

Joel, not sure if you are aware, but goodle the effects of EPA on the immune system.
The less you can consume the better

Was always told to use 20-30g a day....dunno what effect it has had...just been doing that for prob 5 yrs now..never knew that though sticky cheers!

No worries man. It will effect some more than other, and if people are always getting crook, 20 standard fish oil tabs probably isnt the best idea.

15 standard fish oils equals 1800mg of dha and 2700mg of epa
4 of blackmores brain oils equal 2000mg of dha and 400mg epa

Most of the benefits from fish oil come from the dha. Thats why Dave and I (among many others) use the 5:1.
Fadi did post a great article on this, Ill see if I can dig it up.

Most of the benefits from fish oil come from the dha. Thats why Dave and I (among many others) use the 5:1.

Fadi did post a great article on this, Ill see if I can dig it up.

Here you go Sticky, I've done it for you brother: High Calorie Shake! Please check reply #15. Thank you for showing an interest in the subject.

Fadi.

Pretty sure they dont have the cals listed mate.
Im sure the benifits out weigh some calories dude. Unless your diet is 110% perfect, I doubt its going to make much difference to you.

Calories from fish oil tablets is the least of your concern. But it would be 9 calories per gram.

30 a day! I take 6 (3g worth of Dha and 1.5 of EPA per day) how much do you get a day Joel?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dave, please be aware that you may need to increase your consumption of vitamin e when taking fish oil. This relates to the thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and the general oxidative effect of such a highly unsaturated oil. I never leave home without my gems, vitamin e gems that is: Solgar, Natural Vitamin E, 100 IU, 250 Softgels - iHerb.com

or : Carlson Labs, E·Gems, Natural Vitamin E, 100 IU, 250 Soft Gels - iHerb.com

I like the small dosage because they give me more control over my daily intake and it's the way I tend to think with nearly everything. Step by step instead of bang wham then crash!

Effect of fish-oil and vitamin E supplementation o... [Clin Chim Acta. 1990] - PubMed result

PS: Dave, personally I don't need a study to tell me to take fat soluble anti-oxidants when taking some highly oxidative fats. However I provided you with the above lest you require some info on the subject.

God Bless

Fadi.

Last edited: