• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fish Oil

confuzzl3don3

Pretty simple questions on fish oil. How much do you guys take, and what brands/types are you using? What's the "best bang for the buck" ie. cheapest for the greatest amount of omega-3s?

Cheapest isn't always the best. Especially in regards to fats that oxidize easy and then do the opposite of what you want them to do.

I take about 1000mg dha and 500mg EPA daily
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheapest isn't always the best. Especially in regards to fats that oxidize easy and then do the opposite of what you want them to do.

I take about 1000mg dha and 500mg EPA daily
Posted via Mobile Device

I know cheapest isn't always best, but within reasonable quality, why not just buy something that does the same job without having to pay a fair amount more for just the brand and maybe that extra 5% quality.

I know cheapest isn't always best, but within reasonable quality, why not just buy something that does the same job without having to pay a fair amount more for just the brand and maybe that extra 5% quality.

Because it isnt only 5% quality nor the brand name you are paying for in most cases.

I have seen a documentry somewhere on youtube I think of Dr Mercola about last week botu fishoils... Most fishoils are extracted from a rotten deadfish (for a few days) which in my eyes can't be too healthy... Which apparently decreases the absorbancy of the epa/dha in the body...

Id'e rather get my omega 3's from healthy sources such as tasmanian salmon etc and practitioner only brands such as metagenics and pay the extra 30% and take 1 to 2 capsules a day of the metagenics brand (practitioner only) rather than 10capsules of some woolworths brand (which apparently in most cases, the chances are from the poor manufacturing processes of the gel capsule the oil is contained in is suceptible to oxidation aka the oil going rancid)...

But then again thats my OPINION.

Interesting. Then what brands are considered "decent"? Would stuff like blackmore's be considered good quality? Or do you really have to get the practitioner brands that i've never heard of. By the way are all the fish oil capsules pretty much the same (1g of fish oil yielding 300mg of omega-3s, 180mg of epa and 120mg of dha). I tried looking for some higher concentration ones but couldn't find any despite looking at a number of brands.

Interesting. Then what brands are considered "decent"? Would stuff like blackmore's be considered good quality? Or do you really have to get the practitioner brands that i've never heard of. By the way are all the fish oil capsules pretty much the same (1g of fish oil yielding 300mg of omega-3s, 180mg of epa and 120mg of dha). I tried looking for some higher concentration ones but couldn't find any despite looking at a number of brands.

From the top of my head in 1gram capsule of Metapure epa/dha it yields 400mg of epa and 200mg of dha.It also contains vitamin E to help with rancidification.

Using natural factors rxomega-3 liquid 237ml @ iherb.com at the moment which has 1500mg epa/750mg dha but also used a similair local brand that was on special at terry white, bio organics super fish oil i think it is.. both are pretty expensive but i'm just trying high grade to work on my cholestorol issues at the moment prefer liquid form as you get a nice strength with one teaspoon.

Ethical Nutrients Hi-Strength Liquid Fish Oil 170ml @ chemistdirect.com.au is another high strength.

as n00bs said it's not just 5% more either, pick a random bulk capsule brand like blackmores 200x1000mg capsules each capsule is only 180mg epa/120mg dha so while it seems better value for 200 capsules you'd need to take 6-8 a day anyway and still only get ~35 serves vs. 47 serves from the 237ml bottle of pharmaceutical grade.

I think you guys are forgetting that you want a higher DHA over EPA. Not the otherway around.

The ones that dave posted in his reply are the ones I take.

I use the Blackmores Omega Brain aswell. Relatively speaking it's not that expensive. $20-25~ for 60 capsules at 500mg DHA 100mg EPA each. I take 6 a day which is a lot of DHA, but I'm a bigger feller. I'd have to take 15-20~ regular capsules daily to get the same amount of DHA, so even with the cheapies that give you 300 odd capsules the bang for buck aint great. Then there's the higher EPA thing, which I wont bother on.

What's even easier is a product I know Fadi likes from iHerb, which is just pure DHA capsules, at something like 200mg~ a cap IIRC. Can't remember the name though.

Most of the benifits come from DHA.
EPA is higher doses supress the immune system.
Thats the jist of it.

Its been covered before, so Im not going to go into detail.

Did you know where I could get anymore info on this?

Cheers

Not all of the immune-suppressing effects of fish oil are due to oxidation, however. Incorporation of certain fatty acids into cell membranes affects second-messenger systems (molecular signalling systems within cells) that can modify gene expression. An experiment that studied the individual effects of EPA and DHA found that EPA reduced natural killer (NK) cell activity and cell-mediated immune response, but that DHA does not. This study concluded that the immune-suppressing effects of fish oil are mainly due to EPA, not DHA [*40].

[*40] "Eicosapentaenoic and Docosahexaenoic Acids Alter Rat Spleen
Leukocyte Fatty Acid Composition and Prostaglandin E2 Production
But Have Different Effects on Lymphocyte Functions and Cell-Mediated
Immunity" L.D. Peterson, et.al. LIPIDS 33(2):171-180 (1998)

And here's the full article if you're really interested: DHA FOR HEARTS AND MINDS

Fadi.

Not all of the immune-suppressing effects of fish oil are due to oxidation, however. Incorporation of certain fatty acids into cell membranes affects second-messenger systems (molecular signalling systems within cells) that can modify gene expression. An experiment that studied the individual effects of EPA and DHA found that EPA reduced natural killer (NK) cell activity and cell-mediated immune response, but that DHA does not. This study concluded that the immune-suppressing effects of fish oil are mainly due to EPA, not DHA [*40].

[*40] "Eicosapentaenoic and Docosahexaenoic Acids Alter Rat Spleen
Leukocyte Fatty Acid Composition and Prostaglandin E2 Production
But Have Different Effects on Lymphocyte Functions and Cell-Mediated
Immunity" L.D. Peterson, et.al. LIPIDS 33(2):171-180 (1998)

And here's the full article if you're really interested: DHA FOR HEARTS AND MINDS

Fadi.

I asked the question "does EPA suppress the immune system" to my nutrition lecturer and she stated something along the lines of "yes it does, though it targets the white blood cells that the body does not recognize (foreign) and helps eliminate these cells which is why people with auto-immune diseases are given high dosages of EPA. And that it doesn't suppress your immune system to the point for you to be more susceptible to infections etc. "... Hopefully nOObs can give his further input as he might of remembered more than what I did when she said it.

Thanks a lot for the article and response as well.

Might need to give that article a read tomorrow.

Cheers

I asked the question "does EPA suppress the immune system" to my nutrition lecturer and she stated something along the lines of "yes it does, though it targets the white blood cells that the body does not recognize (foreign) and helps eliminate these cells which is why people with auto-immune diseases are given high dosages of EPA. And that it doesn't suppress your immune system to the point for you to be more susceptible to infections etc. "... Hopefully nOObs can give his further input as he might of remembered more than what I did when she said it.

Thanks a lot for the article and response as well.

Might need to give that article a read tomorrow.

Cheers

One point and one question for your lecturer Daniel:

1. She's stating that EPA is selective in its immune system suppression.

2. What if I (like the majority of people) do not suffer from such a disease, why would I want to take fish oil (with its higher percentage of EPA) over simply taking DHA which does not suppress the immune system?

Fadi.