• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flat Bench

this. Nobody asks you what you dip.

Benching builds character. You have to push hard - just like your mum did.

Great article from the man himself- you guessed it- Bill Starr. Say's it all really. Sorry, it's alot, but worth it.

Eejit

Which muscles in the bar bell bench press receive a hammering, other than the tricep?

Going on how it feels, I would say front delts for me as well as forearms and chest, but not as much chest involvement as when I dumbbell bench press.

I've heard the lats get a bit of use, but honestly I haven't learnt to do barbell bench correctly enough to get the most out of all muscles involved. That's why when I head up to Brissy in the next few months I plan on stopping into the PTC and asking for a personal session to work out my form issues.

Well, their not a good pec developer and they pin the scapula, there is no movement there, deltoids? most def.

Only reason to do bench is to get better at benching imo
Dips are a better chest builder
Push press from behind the neck is a better all-round pressing exercise along with strict press

So what would be the single most effective chest building exercise out there?

I don't think there is but rather combinations of.
Flys for pecs, pullovers, all pressing exercises.

When you've been around you try them all, you need to.

Only reason to do bench is to get better at benching imo
Dips are a better chest builder
Push press from behind the neck is a better all-round pressing exercise along with strict press

And you know how Oni, from experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually found that, while flat BBBP + food = chest growth for me, DBBP makes it much easier for me to focus on actually using my chest, so I can only imagine DBBP + food would be much better for growth than BBBP + food. As far as general strength training goes, I don't think it really matters which horizontal push you go with, so long as you pick one and develop it. Obviously powerlifters need flat BBBP, at least when preparing for a competition, but other than that, I don't think the flat BBBP is absolutely necessary or the best chest exercise.

And you know how Oni, from experience?

Fairly pretty logical to figure out
For any sort of efficiency in the bench press and to not ruin your shoulders, you need to bench with form that pretty much turns it into a triceps lift. Chest will never be the limiting factor in the bench which is why you don't get people recommending chest flies to people for getting their bench up

Dips are safe for most people with healthy shoulders over a full range of motion and but the body in a better position to press naturally. That's why you can dip far more than you can bench. Get with the program Darkoz

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, cause when I bench I get a pump in my pecs and when I dip I get a pump in my triceps.
But from your explaination I guess that explains why you have a crap bench.

Fuck I hate this delineation of the term bodybiulding and strength training it so fuuuaaarrrkkking anal.