• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front Squatting!

Daniel.308

Just curous as to what YOUR tips are on front squatting...

I want to squat though back squatting seems impossible without getting back pain the day after (poor flexibility)...

Tried front squatting the other day, read up on it, youtubed it and watched tutorials though I just feel as if the bar is going to rip my tendons/muscles off of my shoulders, even though its only 50kg on the bar... If I put the bar closer to my neck it rubs on my bone and when I am in the deep position bones starts rubbing/cracking from the bar...

Just wondering if anyone has any useful tips on how to front squat as I can't seem to pick up the technique to be able to do more than 2 reps without something fucking caining!

Thanks in advance for the help

The bar should be up against your throat while resting on your front delts. If it rubs on your collar bones, it means you're dropping your elbows and/or chest. Could be caused by weak front delts or weak abs.

Keep your chin and elbows pointing forward. Your upper arms should make a 90 deg with your torso. Squeeze the elbows towards the center so that you can keep your chest & shoulders tight, making a stable platform for the bar to rest on. Hold your abs tight through the rep.

The bruises on your collar bones will act as a reminder for you never to drop the elbows & chest.

video your second set each session for the next few weeks ( i say 2nd as i found when i first tried something my first set was finding my groove 2nd set was good). check your vids and see what you are doing wrong.

i struggled massively as well dude.

1. powerclean, if you don't already start, it did massive things for my arm/wrist flexibility.

2. i squat with a wide stance which allowed me to go deeper and keep my chest up (therefore elbows up) and stay stable through the lift.

3. chin up, for me chin up raises my adams apple above the bar so the bar can sit further back on my delts.

4. Front squat after back squatting. i found even when my back was sore after normal squats front squats didn't bother it at all and i believe the extra core strength I've gained through front squats has helped my back squat to the point where i no longer get any back pain after heavy squatting.

keep front squatting it's a pin when you aren't getting it right but the more you do it the sooner you'll figure it out.

Front squats will feel very uncomfortable the first few times but it gets better.

Keep the bar against your throat, chest up, flat back and dont let you knees cave in.

Should I be going ass to grass?

I feel as if my core just crushes when I go deep - elbows all over, back bent in weird positons... Just weird shit and not ridgid at all!

Thanks so far for the help fellas

I'll probably be at nOObs place on Saturday so I will get him to take a video...

Definatly will help you guys out in helping me...

I will try everything^^^ mentioned!

Daniel.308 - have you watched this one?
Starting Strength

Cheers for that video...

Just realized that I have been front squatting trying to stick my ass out like a back squat...

Says in the video to keep your spine vertical all the way down... I think thats whats causing my in stability issues!

Really helpful man!

Thanks

I focus on keeping my eblows up, ( if using a clean grip), this automatically gets the head and chest to stay up. I also find it heaps easier to get good hip thrust during a front squat, as I am more upright than a low bar back squat

I focus on keeping my eblows up, ( if using a clean grip), this automatically gets the head and chest to stay up. I also find it heaps easier to get good hip thrust during a front squat, as I am more upright than a low bar back squat

Agree. Elbows up has been the best tip for me.