• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SamFisher47

Hey guys,

I'm finally putting together my garage gym after cancelling my gym membership once and for all. I'm looking at getting a power/squat rack, bench, barbell and bumper plates.

Due to space constraints, I've narrowed down my options to either the Rogue S-2 squat rack or the Iron Edge assault rack. I can't decide between the two and would love your input. They both come to about the same price when you consider the usual accessories: dip attachment, weight plate storage, etc.

I've also settled on the Iron Edge olympic barbell and bumper plates. I'm currently looking at the Rogue flat utility bench as my weight bench.

I currently train with squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and power cleans.

Also, what rubber flooring do you guys recommend, if any?

Thanks!

Option 1: Rogue S-2
  • Rogue S-2 squat stand $680
  • Rogue set of spotter arms $235
  • Rogue matador $139
  • Rogue double plate storage $90
  • Rogue flat utility bench $288
  • Iron Edge bumper plate pack $1400
  • Iron Edge 2.5kg plate pair $24
  • Iron Edge 1.25kg plate pair $16
  • Lockjaw collars $60
Total: $2932

Option 2: Iron Edge Assault Rack
  • Iron Edge Assault Rack pack $2400
  • Rogue flat utility bench $288
  • Iron Edge barbell upgrade $400 ?
  • Iron Edge 2.5kg plate pair $24
  • Iron Edge 1.25kg plate pair $16
  • Lockjaw collars $60
Total: $3188

Last edited:
The assault rack is a heavier rack, look at the added support at the base and its 15kg heavier, the rogue is quite a bit cheaper.

Depends what is more a priority.

I`ve got the Assault rack and it`s a beast! I love it. It`s built like a tank...

IMG_1743.jpg

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. Gettingbigger, you have an awesome setup going! What bench and flooring are you using there?

I've updated my original post with pricing as well. As solarbear mentioned, I thought the Rogue S-2 squat stand was cheaper as well but when you add on the cost of the spotter arms, matador (dip attachment) and plate storage pegs, there's only about $200 difference between the two.

The Iron Edge Assault Rack comes with a lifetime guarantee, which is definitely appealing, and weighs 15kg more. The Rogue S-2 squat stand has Westside hole spacing and is $200 cheaper.

Also, both products are out of stock at the moment until early July.

Are there any other features, or lack thereof, that made people lean one way or the other?

Edit: Iron Edge doesn't allow the Assault Rack pack to be modified, which means that I will have to purchase the Iron Edge premium barbell separately in addition to the pack, adding about $600 to the cost.

Last edited:
Cheers guys.

I`m using an Ironmaster Superbench with the rack. The flooring is the standard 1x1x15mm rubber matting. Bloody expensive so I`ve been getting the odd mat here and there. Hopefully will cover the entire outdoor area eventually. The building is just a verandah built on the rear of the house. It`s half gym half outdoor entertainment...although the gym is getting bigger by the month lol!

The wife uses it for PT clients so it gets alot of use.

Wow, that's a great set-up Gettingbigger.

Samfisher47, I would go the Assault rack from Iron Edge mate, it's way way better quality, I have seen one in the flesh and I rate it one of the best you could buy in Aus IMO.
If I had the spare cash that's the one I would buy. I bought Iron Edge squat stands and they are life time bomb proof things, same as the Assault rack.

Get the Assault rack, you won't be disappointed.

Wow, that's a great set-up Gettingbigger.

Samfisher47, I would go the Assault rack from Iron Edge mate, it's way way better quality, I have seen one in the flesh and I rate it one of the best you could buy in Aus IMO.
If I had the spare cash that's the one I would buy. I bought Iron Edge squat stands and they are life time bomb proof things, same as the Assault rack.

Get the Assault rack, you won't be disappointed.

I've seen it in person as well and it is great, although it is a half rack, if you can bolt your rack to the floor, the matrix rack from iron edge is a full rack and allows for sling safeties which look like a great idea.

Thanks for the input, guys! It definitely seems like the Assault Rack is the way to go.

Does anyone have any experience with the Iron Edge economy barbell? I'd love to upgrade to the $650 Iron Edge premium barbell but they seem unwilling to swap the premium barbell into the Assault Rack package for a subsidised cost. I wouldn't mind paying the extra $650 if it didn't mean I was paying for two barbells, which I have no use for anyway.