• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Get Some Big, HUGE, Strong and Powerful Triceps

PowerBuilder

Get Some Big, HUGE, Strong and Powerful Triceps
Author - Dave Tate
Source- EliteFTS.com

I was messing around the other day and came up with this killer triceps exercise. I am sure many of you have already figured this out but it was a first for me. I hooked all of the chains though the same snap hook and then attached a single handle.

I then found a bench and started doing extensions. The best thing with this is the total load is de-loaded at the bottom and then gradually comes on at the top. This takes much of the stress off of the elbows, but still works the triceps like crazy.

IMG_6754.jpg

IMG_6753.jpg

Tricep work like this isnt really needed.

A bench suit acts as a rubber band that adds force to the bottom portion of the bench. This means that for good powerlifters tricep lockout exercises like these (along with floor presses, board presses, rack lockouts, chains and bands) are really important.

For a raw lifter the spot most get stuck is an inch or two above the chest, hence along with bench pressing they dont need much work other than low inclines, dumbbell presses, military presses and heavy backwork.

If you wanna build your triceps I reckon floor presses and close grips would be a much more economical way of training than buying a ****load of chains and handles.

Variety is the spice of life.

I wouldn't mind it for a change of pace.

variety is fine, but this has nothing to do with the movement patterns of a bench press, and how many local gyms have chain sets with attachable handles?

variety is fine, but this has nothing to do with the movement patterns of a bench press, and how many local gyms have chain sets with attachable handles?

Who said anything about the bench press? Bodybuilding forum, 'big + huge' in the title of the article.

Stronger triceps will carry over to the bench anyway.

I don't see what the availability of the equipment has to do with it either. It's another idea for the toolbox, or if you're gym is well equipped for this kind of thing something you can try out.

Who said anything about the bench press? Bodybuilding forum, 'big + huge' in the title of the article.

Stronger triceps will carry over to the bench anyway.

I don't see what the availability of the equipment has to do with it either. It's another idea for the toolbox, or if you're gym is well equipped for this kind of thing something you can try out.

Then why not use exercises that use more muscle? Tate isnt doing floor presses and close grips because he underwent major shoulder reconstruction last year, which is why he's looking for ways to work around them.

Strong triceps will not carry over to a raw bench unless the lifter has lockout problems (wendlers written substantially about how very few lifters do).

well, how many gyms have a set of chains and hand attachments? my guess is very few, making this article not relevant to a lot of people.

Then why not use exercises that use more muscle? Tate isnt doing floor presses and close grips because he underwent major shoulder reconstruction last year, which is why he's looking for ways to work around them.

Strong triceps will not carry over to a raw bench unless the lifter has lockout problems (wendlers written substantially about how very few lifters do).

well, how many gyms have a set of chains and hand attachments? my guess is very few, making this article not relevant to a lot of people.

Because it's about increasing the size/strength of the triceps?

If you take lifter A with a bench of X and add mass/strength to his triceps I would bet my left nut his bench will go up. Might not be by a lot, but improvement is improvement.

How many people work out at home? Bring stuff to the gym? My (cheap, equipment wise) uni gym has detachable handles for every cable station (edit- but no chains, that I know of).

The fact that it is relevant to *some* people means it needs no further justification. If it's not relevant to you, fine.

Because it's about increasing the size/strength of the triceps?

If you take lifter A with a bench of X and add mass/strength to his triceps I would bet my left nut his bench will go up. Might not be by a lot, but improvement is improvement.

How many people work out at home? Bring stuff to the gym? My (cheap, equipment wise) uni gym has detachable handles for every cable station (edit- but no chains, that I know of).

The fact that it is relevant to *some* people means it needs no further justification. If it's not relevant to you, fine.

It wouldnt go up or very much at all if he was raw, because his problem area would be getting the bar off his chest.

If you took twins (A & B) with the same bench, had A doing lots of tricep work and B doing dumbell presses, military presses and heavy rows in a raw bench contest B would probably win.

So far I only know of one guy in australia who puts together chain sets, and he'll charge like a wounded bull.

No hate man :)

That may be the case , but this a forum that caters for everyone from the home workout to the gym workout the local fitness centre and even those seeking to become a bit more fit

while the article might not be relevant to a lot of people but with the members of this forum coming from all areas it may be relevant to some , it might even give others ideas on how to adapt every day items to use in the workout

Good article PowerBuilder keep em coming

It wouldnt go up or very much at all if he was raw, because his problem area would be getting the bar off his chest.

If you took twins (A & B) with the same bench, had A doing lots of tricep work and B doing dumbell presses, military presses and heavy rows in a raw bench contest B would probably win.

So far I only know of one guy in australia who puts together chain sets, and he'll charge like a wounded bull.

No hate man :)

Going up by a little is still going up.

If you took A, B and C and had C doing accessory work with for his triceps as well I would put my money on him.

No hate at all, I just don't quite understand why you are viewing the article purely from a benching competition standpoint - it's posted in a bodybuilding forum in relation to building your triceps.

use bands

so you still get the accommodating resistance plus most gyms would have them

Last edited:
Lots of us also work out at home, chains and handles are easy to come by (or buy). I think the exercise has its place but I would also agree with oliver04 that it would not be a good exercise for a raw bencher, BUT, as people have said it is a body building forum and does have carry over to that.

We have chains and handles at PTC. I got the chains from Bunnings, the handles from AK.

Tricep strength is extremely important in the bench press, raw or assisted.

We do speed work for the lower part of the lift, and direct tricep work, dips, cgbp, floor press, rack press, board press for the lock out.

We also use chains and bands for the lockout.

Depending on the lifter, we emphasise a different exercise. I had zero issues with bar speed off my chest, I worked hard on my lockout, my brother was the same. Nina is strong in the lockout, as is Max, so they do more speed work.

Everyone is different, this exercise simply adds another bow to a lifters arsenal.

Just make sure youre training your weaknesses. Oli makes a good point, most lifters I encounter are weak off the chest, though not everyone.

As Markos says- it's just another tool for the tool box.

People training to improve their bench press need to bench press.

For overall upper body development the bench press is not a good choice.

It's been argued for many years whether certain exercises carry over, some things I've learnt through self evident truth is;

my dead-lift improves when my squatting does, not the other way around
my squatting improves after pushing heavy objects for a protracted time
my rowing improves when I increase my time walking with weight (farmers walks)

one thing I do keep my eye out for is some anchor chain to pull.
Posted via Mobile Device

He said that bench press sucks for overall upper body development.

Sorry couldn't help myself. I agree with him though there are other exercises I would have people do before benching. Unless they were a powerlifter.
Posted via Mobile Device

He said that bench press sucks for overall upper body development.

Sorry couldn't help myself. I agree with him though there are other exercises I would have people do before benching. Unless they were a powerlifter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt Kroc is about to do his first state show mid may:

EliteFTS - Superior Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers

his chest and back size will see him getting his pro card in no time, the guy does nothing but bench press and its variants (dumbell press, incline press).

Dips and military press are the best upperbody exercises in my opinion.

Oliver, keep the juiced guys out of your examples, I doubt there are many juiced guys on here, Kroc is a freak, I love him, dont look for the odd one out, use the regular gym bunny.

Most dont deadlift, so they will NEVER have an upperbody like Kroc. The average gym bunny has rounded shoulders, brought on by too much benching.

The pecs job is too bring the shoulders in and down. Most wont counteract this with pulling.

No such issues with MP.

There will always be an exception to the norm, most people look to the exception, I look to the norm.