• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Glute Injury

A

Annihilation

I have had this glute injury for the past 6 months. Basically I can't do any lower body lifts like squats, deadlifts, any variations of those, etc. Pain can also occur when I try to do barbell rows or good mornings or good morning type positions. When doing the squat or deadlift, there is pain throughout the entire lift, but the pain exponentially increases as I go towards lockout on the squat or deadlift. The pain also exponentially increases when I am warming up. For example, 60 feel nothing, 100 some discomfort, 140 pain, 160+ serious pain.

I have gone to my doctor and had a ct scan on my lumbar spine the results are:
L4/5 disc shows reduced height and a right parasagittal dorsal protrusion mildly compressing the thecal sac.
L5/S1 disc shows a right parasagittal dorsal disc bulge and a disc osteophyte superior S1 endplate is seen to contact the right S1 nerve.
Conclusion:
Right parasagittal L4/5 disc protrusion contacts the right L5 nerve and a disc osteophyte the right S1 nerve.

He is telling me the bulged disc is causing sciatica. But I only have the pain in the glutes, not down my leg or anything.
Next step he says is a steroid injection into the spinal nerve. After that is surgery which would be a last resort for me.

Went to the physio and done stretches which hasn't helped with the pain. There is no pain or discomfort at all when I run, sprint, hill sprint, jump, jump rope, etc.
I am trying to work out what it is, piriformis syndrome is another possibility. I have been stretching, foam rolling, rolling with a lacrosse ball. There has been no results.

Front squats don't seem to cause as much pain but I only go up to around 150kg.

If anyone has had something similar, id be grateful if you could let me know how to fix it, cheers.

WHen you roll the glute with the lacross ball, does it hurt? Is there knotting there?
What about psoas? It's a hard one to get to

Surgery for a lumbar disc bulge is an absolute last resort option. I know plenty of people who have had them and with modified activity, a good rehab plan and patience have gotten back to being able to do what they were previously in regards to powerlifting.

Dr Schnell I believe his name is, (on Chris Duffin vids on youtube) has a website called fixyourownback.com which has lots of good info.

Plenty of info for lumbar issues but I have had (and my GF currently has) thoracic disc bulges and that is a lot harder to get an answer and good rehab plan.

Check my back op thread.
I had two discectomy's at L5/s1.
Sciatic and nerve pain which crippled me. I had two herniated and fragmented discs. After the first op I just didn't give it enough time to heal, back on the tools in 3 weeks and it blew out a few weeks later. 2nd op was 6 months off work (thank fuck for wage cover) lots of smart rehab, swimming, yoga etc and now I'm back to 100%. I don't do all the shit I used to, but there's a way around everything or a substitute.

WHen you roll the glute with the lacross ball, does it hurt? Is there knotting there?
What about psoas? It's a hard one to get to

Yeah it hurts, but ive being doing it for months and stretching everyday. Still doesn't seem to help with the pain.

Check my back op thread.
I had two discectomy's at L5/s1.
Sciatic and nerve pain which crippled me. I had two herniated and fragmented discs. After the first op I just didn't give it enough time to heal, back on the tools in 3 weeks and it blew out a few weeks later. 2nd op was 6 months off work (thank fuck for wage cover) lots of smart rehab, swimming, yoga etc and now I'm back to 100%. I don't do all the shit I used to, but there's a way around everything or a substitute.

Thanks mate, I had a read. Yours sounds full on! Im hoping I don't get to that stage. For me I can do everything except deadlift and squat with heavy weight. So means I cant compete.