• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good blog post: fitness bullies

Hell yer ccm, bagging other people for doing something different annoys the crap out of me, each to their own.

Get off your high horse people

Really this is nothing new, bagging out other training styles and other sports. It's been going on forever and will continue, most of it is just a bit of fun anyway.

Just do what you enjoy and who gives a shit what anyone else says.

Last edited:
Totally agree... I'll often do random things with my weights just because i enjoy them. Not everybody has to aspire to

A) Run a marathon because they like going for a jog
B) Enter a powerlifting contest because they'd like to be stronger
C) Become a pro bodybuilder because they'd like to look better for the ladies :)

Way to much focus on 'competing' and 'winning' and 'achieving results as fast as possible'... some people just enjoy the exercise...

lol love me a good bro curl too :p

Good post Viv! Everyone has different goals, belittling them because they're not doing what you THINK they should do, is beyond ignorant. The end game, the dream, the finale is different for all of us, there are a miriad of paths to get to each one of them.

You gotta run your own race.

And curl in the squat rack occasionally, just to keep it real :D

lol I used to love bro curls, until I got forced to do 21s ... the love affair died :p

still, this explains my fear and loathing of back squats. up until recently, always felt like a failure because my ankle stopped me dropping down really low. well, I'm not prepared to undergo dodgy surgery just to back squat with my toosh skimming the floor.
Just because some folk (NOT on this forum) insisted that it doesn't count if I go to parallel on a back squat. blllllth to them :p

but yeah, it's a nice reality check.

although, I did occasionally feel a bit freaked if I saw someone doing something that was just outright dangerous in the gym. So hard to say something tactfully, I'd usually just turn away and not look.

found it hard to concetrate when i read planet fitness.

Okay i know some people go to the gym to post in on their facebook timeline, but when a gym offers free pizza on some nights, and there is a lunk alarm for making noise while working out.. its pretty much a gym designed for people to fail, $10 a month is barely anything so all those that join up after new years resolutions will be lazy to cancel as its only $10 a month. Smart business plan though

And the fernwood gyms.. if there was a male only gym imagine the those "strong indepedent woman who don't need no man" rage.

Got a bit carried away but anyway.

and no im not one of those "DEADLIFTS OR YOUR A LITTLE PUSSY" guy.

Last edited:
Great read. The replys/comments were interesting too.
There's plenty of people on the boards like this!! A girl loses a bit of weight, all of a sudden she's an expert on training and nutrition!!! And if you're not doing it her way, you're doing it wrong! Hahah.
Plenty of ways to skin a cat in this game...
Great read, thanks

Jesus, is that the time? Bleah...

wrt curls, they're in the PTC beginner's program, and GSLP, and... well, you get the idea. Someone can tell me that curls are useless, "vanity lifts", or whatever all they like - I'll just get busy posin' for dem gurls. :cool:

I mean, getting stronger. Yeah. :)

Actually, I like 'em. And, I've seen plenty of really damn strong bastards doing them. So...

Okay i know some people go to the gym to post in on their facebook timeline, but when a gym offers free pizza on some nights, and there is a lunk alarm for making noise while working out.. its pretty much a gym designed for people to fail, $10 a month is barely anything so all those that join up after new years resolutions will be lazy to cancel as its only $10 a month. Smart business plan though

And the fernwood gyms.. if there was a male only gym imagine the those "strong indepedent woman who don't need no man" rage.

I have always said the same thongs about women's only gyms like fernwood, there would be an uproar if men's only ones were introduced..

LOL I have to agree a little about the women's only gyms. I have a policy that any gym with a nail bar and the smell of formaldehyde is one that gets a "wrong way, go back" reaction from me.
But I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of women have traditionally found gyms very intimidating places (less so for guys) and these gyms give them a space where they feel a bit more comfortable working out. A lot of those perceptions are mythology but they persist.
But, if it gets women out and doing some resistance training when they otherwise might not, then it's all good, right?
They do no harm (except for the chemical whiffies from the nail bar :eek:).
I doubt there'd be any uproar if there was a male only gym. One could argue that a lot of gyms were male only just by cultural evolution ;)

doesn't apply to anyone on this forum though, I don't think.

for the record, I dislike the Fernwood ads intensely :mad:
But, they're still better than Curves...ay carumba what a $$$ ruse! Not much better than the ab circle pro.

There's no planet fitness here in Oz, is there? Please say no!
Haha I'd love to see that lunk alarm put in action in your typical garage gym....bahahaha it'd be ringing in perpetuity.... :D

LOL I have to agree a little about the women's only gyms. I have a policy that any gym with a nail bar and the smell of formaldehyde is one that gets a "wrong way, go back" reaction from me.
But I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of women have traditionally found gyms very intimidating places (less so for guys) and these gyms give them a space where they feel a bit more comfortable working out. A lot of those perceptions are mythology but they persist.
But, if it gets women out and doing some resistance training when they otherwise might not, then it's all good, right?
They do no harm (except for the chemical whiffies from the nail bar :eek:).
I doubt there'd be any uproar if there was a male only gym. One could argue that a lot of gyms were male only just by cultural evolution ;)

doesn't apply to anyone on this forum though, I don't think.

for the record, I dislike the Fernwood ads intensely :mad:
But, they're still better than Curves...ay carumba what a $$$ ruse! Not much better than the ab circle pro.

There's no planet fitness here in Oz, is there? Please say no!
Haha I'd love to see that lunk alarm put in action in your typical garage gym....bahahaha it'd be ringing in perpetuity.... :D

I do see how woman could find most gyms intimidating.. hell even i use to.

I know there is 1 planet fitness in newcastle, and i think there is 1 in sydney somewhere.

I would train at planet fitness for the sole purpose of sounding the lunk alarm:D

Great read. The replys/comments were interesting too.
There's plenty of people on the boards like this!! A girl loses a bit of weight, all of a sudden she's an expert on training and nutrition!!! And if you're not doing it her way, you're doing it wrong! Hahah.
Plenty of ways to skin a cat in this game...
Great read, thanks

Not on this forum, but another place, yes that is annoying

I don't think less of people training for different reasons, or who enjoy different challenges. I might fling some shit, but I expect it to be flinged right back and it's all light hearted.

I DO think the guy who comes in and does bench and curls every day, only ever uses machines, or who never squats is being a bit of an idiot. There is so much good information out there for free that there is no reason not to be able to piece something well rounded together.

(Yes yes, some people can't squat for whatever reason. They are not the majority. Same as fat people don't all have a thyroid problem.)

I DO think the guy who comes in and does bench and curls every day, only ever uses machines, or who never squats is being a bit of an idiot. There is so much good information out there for free that there is no reason not to be able to piece something well rounded together.

Agreed!..Power through information