• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Great chest exercise

0ni

Registered Rustler
I've never really been able to train chest effectively. Bench press doesn't really hit it and neither does incline pressing or dumbbells. Flies always were shit on my shoulders and machine work also sucked. Today though I managed to find something really good.

It's like a dumbbell reverse bench press. You lower the dumbbells into a reverse grip bench and touch it low on your torso around your stomach area. You can get a really good stretch and range of motion here. Then as you press up you rotate the dumbbells (of which the pecs are also responsible for) inwards and finish like a regular bench press. I find I can maximally tense the pecs easily throughout the whole movement and is probably the only exercise that I actually feel in my pecs. A few sets of 6 reps with 50% of your best bench press is all you need for this. I go lower still and do sets of 6 with 20kg dumbbells, which is around 40% of my best bench

Give it a try next time you're bored

Sounds intersting, I'll try it out on the 5kg dumbbells here before going into the gym and wrecking my shoulders!

Out of interest how do you keep your elbows on normal bench? I started off powerlifting, so always kept my elbows tucked. I got strong but my chest looked like shit. It wasn't until I started to flare them out like a proper bodybuilder, and really focus on that contraction that their development took off.

Sounds intersting, I'll try it out on the 5kg dumbbells here before going into the gym and wrecking my shoulders!

Out of interest how do you keep your elbows on normal bench? I started off powerlifting, so always kept my elbows tucked. I got strong but my chest looked like shit. It wasn't until I started to flare them out like a proper bodybuilder, and really focus on that contraction that their development took off.

Sounds like cross fit would even chuckle at this one. .

So it's pretty much like an Arnold press but for bench? Will have to give it a crack. One thing that helped my build my chest was doing 3 sets on a bench inclined first notch above flat 3 sets raise up 15 degrees another 3 sets and so on until u r pretty much at a seated shoulder press

I find this interesting, as I always fail coming off the chest. If I can get it off my chest, I can lock it out. I always assumed the chest was the 'most challenged' part in the bench press.

After doing dumbell rows today I'm not sure though! They felt super light after my smolov jr cycle. Maybe the lats really do get the bar off the chest on bench.

(my chest is hardly outstanding, but then ive never seen a person who can bench 1.5xbodyweight and has a small chest)

Yeah kinda like a supine arnold press
That is a good way of putting it
Bottom is reverse grip, top is regular grip

Yeah kinda like a supine arnold press
That is a good way of putting it
Bottom is reverse grip, top is regular grip

You're gunna fucking fuck kunce rotater cuffs up with this you penut! Omg think of the children the helpless children and Legion of fans and followers u have!

It's actually pretty easy on the rotator cuffs and it's performed with a pretty narrow grip
Perhaps you should read up on your physiology

I find this interesting, as I always fail coming off the chest. If I can get it off my chest, I can lock it out. I always assumed the chest was the 'most challenged' part in the bench press.

After doing dumbell rows today I'm not sure though! They felt super light after my smolov jr cycle. Maybe the lats really do get the bar off the chest on bench.

(my chest is hardly outstanding, but then ive never seen a person who can bench 1.5xbodyweight and has a small chest)

Big back strength = big bench definitely, leg drive and lat strength straight off the chest

I got in trouble for a guy much stronger than me for calling it chest day during my powerlifting cycle, meant to refer to it as upper, as it uses all of your upper body strength ;)

Most people who have told me they can't feel chest are not holding the bar tight like squeezing it. My lats where actually sore for about 6 sessions after this little trick. My bench increase was decent as well. Throw out the suicide grip crap.