• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Grip for front squats

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=2]Crossed Arm Grip[/h]
[h=2]Clean Grip[/h]
which grip do you prefer?

Clean grip. It take a while to work up your flexibility if you're not that flexible, but I feel it's easier to keep your elbows up.

Clean grip. It take a while to work up your flexibility if you're not that flexible, but I feel it's easier to keep your elbows up.

Precisely why I don't use that grip, crappy flexibility. Will pull my finger out and start using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean grip for me. Used to use cross arm grip but changed and my technique feels much more effective.

Clean for me, I use to have to stretch my wrists and warm up well to get the flexibility to hold it, now I can do it cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossed arms for me, but every now and then I will try the clean grip just to change it, but think I have to work on flexibility for it to feel right...

I only started doing front squats about 2 months ago, so I'm still getting used to them. But if you're using the clean grip, there are 2 things that really help. 1, release your grip. Like someone else said, you're only keeping the bar in place with 2 fingers. Your shoulders and maintaining your elbows up will carry the weight. 2, don't look down. Whenever I try to take a peak at the bottom of the squat to check my form, I immediately tip forward and ruin my form. Keep your chin and eyes up, especially at the bottom of the movement.

Last edited:
If you have trouble with flexibility with the grip, a quick and easy way to loosen up, I am going to explain this the best I can.

Arm at right angle, tricep parallel to ground, forearm straight up.
Put your tricep on a bar and then straight your arm, so you're whole arm is parallel to the ground, applying pressure to the tricep area and the muscle is basically moving back and forth over the bar.
Move your arm about 2 inches forward or back, depending on where you started and repeat the process

I use a full clean grip nowadays. No real issue to speak of.
In saying that, when.i started front squatting, it hurt like fuck with just 2 fingers...took a lot stretching but im fine now.

Tim.

I started front squatting with 2 finger clean grip today. Had to check my ego and go back to almost the bar to achieve it though (i've only front squatted once before)