• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help my fail cutting

walt

DuffProteinMan
Hey folks,

Been "cutting" for 4-7 weeks now. was 76-78kg (173cm) at 15-17% bodyfat and the months before that i gained quite a bit of fat so i decided to cut. Hoped to get to 72kg around 10% bodyfat.

I haven't seen any progress really, still 76kg, barely any noticeable change if any.

What i am eating day to day:

Breakfast - protein shake with oats (40g protein shake, 50g oats)
Morning Tea - 185g tin of tuna with 1/2 cup of rice + handful almonds
Lunch - either 2 peanut butter sandwiches or 2 ham sandwiches
Afternoon - 250ml full cream milk, 100g yoghurt, 1 piece or 2 peices of fruit
Post workout - used to have some milk but now skipped it to drop calories day to day
Dinner - usually 100-200g meat, with some potato and large amount of veggies.

I think my diet is okay so i don't see why I'm not making progress. My gym lifts are all up but going up slowly. My stomach hasn't changed at all.

Training is upper lower 4 times a week, compounds at start, isolations at end.

If this continues (hope to be cutting for another 2 weeks), ill just switch back to bulking and bulk to 85's then cut again (except i fear ill be quite fat, I cannot be fat because i play rugby and need to be lean-ish.)

Help me?

Edit - I take creatine mono so that could affect my visual appearance by water retention, also i bloat quite a bit from protein shakes so that could affect it as well?

Last edited:
How many calories are you eating.

Simple rule is if you're not losing drop calories further.

Most eat 500 cals below maintenance.

The diet looks to be average anyway.

I mean ham sandwiches have not part in a fat loss diet, where muscle retention is crucial. Where's the protein in that meal???????

If you are not doing this already, then using kitchen scales to weigh every portion and logging everything with something like FitDay or CalorieKing will make it much easier to see where adjustments need to be made diet wise.

How many calories are you eating.

Simple rule is if you're not losing drop calories further.

Most eat 500 cals below maintenance.

The diet looks to be average anyway.

I mean ham sandwiches have not part in a fat loss diet, where muscle retention is crucial. Where's the protein in that meal???????

Its estimated around 2000 calories, probably a bit over.

What would a good substitute be? 5 eggs with 1 cup of milk? That would drop the calories a bit (4 bread with peanut butter is around 500-600). Keep in mind i don't get any meat (and protein dense) apart from ham/tuna/eggs/milk.

What else would i change/drop?

If you are not doing this already, then using kitchen scales to weigh every portion and logging everything with something like FitDay or CalorieKing will make it much easier to see where adjustments need to be made diet wise.

Yeah i do log on fitday from time to time and i get 2000+ daily. Probably too much carbs though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the site shrek.

Got a sample one off them, changed a few stuff around and im done. No more bread at lunch.

What about post workout, just some 1 cup of milk should be fine?

You said you MUST know your calories when cutting.

It's not necessary to know your calories to cut. People make things too complicated.

but when someone posts up that they have been cutting for weeks with no results then chances are its the calories that will be the problem. time to start logging calories OP

You said you MUST know your calories when cutting.

It's not necessary to know your calories to cut. People make things too complicated.

im rlly just trying to say, you need to be in cal deficit to lose weight. whether u know your cals or just guess, its all good as long as your in deficit.

A few quick pointers,

Maybe try swapping your morning tea meal with carbs (rice) with your afternoon meal. carb up in and around your workout

Drop lunch meal its crap, have 200g meat with veg

Drop the potato in your evening meal and fill the space with more veg, and make sur that the meat size is closer to the 200g than 100g estimated.

You say your going to drop a further 250cals p/day........ why not just burn more cals rather than restrict them, when my guys cut id rather they burnt more cals than restrict there bodies ...

Ive even had success with limiting rest periods between sets but working out for the same period of time , heart rate stays higher, more weight moved and so on

Hey folks,
What i am eating day to day:

Breakfast - protein shake with oats (40g protein shake, 50g oats)
Morning Tea - 185g tin of tuna with 1/2 cup of rice + handful almonds
Lunch - either 2 peanut butter sandwiches or 2 ham sandwiches
Afternoon - 250ml full cream milk, 100g yoghurt, 1 piece or 2 peices of fruit
Post workout - used to have some milk but now skipped it to drop calories day to day
Dinner - usually 100-200g meat, with some potato and large amount of veggies.

I have been cutting for a while and I am making gains. My diet is far from perfect too...

Anyway, I would:

- make sure your protein shakes are low in calories

- be rid of rice... swap it for salad or vegies

- what you have for lunch is crap... replace with 150g of chicken with salad and vegies

- Get rid of milk altogether (even in your coffees)

- don't have fruit after 3pm and if you have fruit earlier in the day, swap your banana for an apple (half the calories...)

- I personally would have more meat than that for dinner on a workout day... say ~ 300g.

- half a tub of low fat cottage cheese as a bedtime snack.

I am no expert but as already mentioned, this works for me.

Im cutting calories, around 150-250, that should make a difference.

cut with a 500 cal deficit, you will see the difference in the mirror each week. i am very similar stats to you and can cut easily with a 500 cal deficit regardless of the food i eat.

Hyjack if you eat the wrong food the weight you loose can be muscle even if it is only 500 cal deficit.

Eating a low protein diet will not help muscle preservation such as 2 ham sandwiches.

Im at about a 500calorie deficit.

I changed the sandwiches for 4 eggs and 40g of protein powder.