• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help wanted. Confused about diet adjustments.

Camo1902

Affable Kunce
Hi all,

After some advice (full of questions today!).

I am an endurance guy, mainly into cycling but do some running as well.

I am looking for more power on the bike, so have been on the Starting Strength program (about to switch it up to the PTC Beginner program which is on here).

My diet is good, but I am a bit confused as to how I should adjust my eating to reap the benefits of my strength training. All the cutting v bulking info is confusing me, and I'm not sure what sort of approach to take.

Keep in mind, I like going long on the bike so I don't want to bulk up excessively, its just a good increase in functional strength I am chasing whilst keeping the weight and body fat low.

I am about 170cm's. Weigh 71kg's. I currently run a 2300 calorie a day diet, and on bigger effort days on the bike consume 3000+ calories dependant on how intense the effort is. I aim for around 40p/40c/20f Macro targets.

Any ideas on how I should adjust the diet to get the sort of strength/power increases I am looking for, whilst keeping the weight/bf low.

Thanks

Are you adding resistance training to your program or replacing other things with it? ie is your overall training increasing?

Are you adding resistance training to your program or replacing other things with it? ie is your overall training increasing?

I have added it in so its an increased training load.

Riding wise I currently do 1 longer ride (2.5+ hours) a week, and a couple of shorter rides (45-90 minutes). Will often throw in a circuit training day as well, using bodyweight exercises, kettlebells, skipping, plyometrics etc.

Well you are burning a lot of calories, riding hard would be around 1,000 calories per hour. If you are adding some resistance work with heavy weights you will probably find you will need more calories than you are currently on if you want to maintain your current cardio levels.

But it's also quite individual and you will need to do a bit of testing as to what protein/carb/fat levels work best for you. You will need to watch your energy levels, but I would think you will struggle to keep up the high level bike riding while squatting and deadlifting.

Having said that they will make you much stronger. Bottom line is that burning the number of calories you are currently burning you could afford to eat some more to get stronger.

As a long distance athelete you will always struggle to gain any size...

So eat up if you wanna get stronger...

If you are an endurance athlete why would u want to add size ? You want power and strength correct? You can do that with out out adding add size you know? With 5x5 squat deadlift and bench press program 2-3 times a week. I wouldn't recommend adding muscle if is just going to slow you down. To build muscle bodybuilding style muscle u need to go in the 8 to 15 rep range. I'd recommend the 1-5 rep range for yourself. A good book on strengh training is [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://dc581.2shared.com/download/dXBbtvDu/Pavel_Tsatsouline_-_Power_To_T.pdf?tsid=20130127-015851-b1a5c6f6[/FONT]

Read this I've gained 20 kgs to my deadlift over the last 6 weeks whilst cutting. It's proof you gain strengh with out muscle

If you are an endurance athlete why would u want to add size ? You want power and strength correct? You can do that with out out adding add size you know? With 5x5 squat deadlift and bench press program 2-3 times a week. I wouldn't recommend adding muscle if is just going to slow you down. To build muscle bodybuilding style muscle u need to go in the 8 to 15 rep range. I'd recommend the 1-5 rep range for yourself. A good book on strengh training is [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://dc581.2shared.com/download/dXBbtvDu/Pavel_Tsatsouline_-_Power_To_T.pdf?tsid=20130127-015851-b1a5c6f6[/FONT]

Read this I've gained 20 kgs to my deadlift over the last 6 weeks whilst cutting. It's proof you gain strengh with out muscle

Thanks so much mate. I simply want more power & strength to help when riding/running.

I really do get confused about this size v strength v muscle endurance etc. stuff. Will check this book out immediately. Ask me a question on aerobic training and I'll crap on for days, ask me a question about strength/resistance training and cue awkward facial expression :)