• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

help with new routine

With a tagline like that I'm sure Shrek will know the answer! :)
Well here's my opinion be it right or wrong.
As a beginner I would start with fully body routine or upper / lower split 3 times per week.
When you become stale or in need of change you can experiment with split body part routines, but while you're progressing with full body keep at it.

I wish I did when I started instead of doing a million sets for chest, biceps etc etc

Thanks Shrek

Also wanted to say I've been training for 2+ years and I have made some progress so I just wanted to check this sort of routine is still applicable

Have you ever done a routine like this?
If so, did you ever stall completely and stop seeing results?

If the answer is no to both, you can definitely progress with this program (or similar). If the answer is yes then no, you could still see progress, just maybe not so much as a complete n00b

Thanks The Hamburgler

I will start this routine next week

EDIT: Also could I substitute military press for dumbell press?

Last edited:
I cannot see why not. Is there any reason you want to though?

If you are doing squats and bench, then you must have a barbell?

DB/BB press.
Same sh!t really. BB press may give you more stimulation hormonally due to more weight being moved but in the end they're both great movements

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to post an update.

I injured my wrist quite badly and took 3 weeks off from the gym so today I tried deadlifts, pretty sure I got the form down as it felt quite natural. Only thing is my lower back was starting to burn is that normal? I only started with the bar and then added 10kg for the last set.

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to post an update.

I injured my wrist quite badly and took 3 weeks off from the gym so today I tried deadlifts, pretty sure I got the form down as it felt quite natural. Only thing is my lower back was starting to burn is that normal? I only started with the bar and then added 10kg for the last set.
burning? possible it was just a "pump'? after not doing deadlifts for a while and restarting them i would get insane pumps in my back/forearms, despite this being quite annonying its nothing to be concerned about.
were you doing high reps?

about 10 reps per set, for 4 sets. I also think its normal and nothing to be too concerned about.

The other question that has been on my mind is, since this new routine I go to the gym every second day for about 3-4 times a week. The thing is by the time the next workout day comes along I'm still sore, should I still just go and do the same routine or leave out the muscles that are more sore than the rest or stay home and rest?

Try every 3rd day for a couple of weeks and see how you go.

It's normal to be sore/stiff, but you don't want to be too sore/stiff if you catch my drift. Otherwise you will do a hammy warming up for squats like me lol.

You may need to pay more attention to preparation/recovery as well

about 10 reps per set, for 4 sets. I also think its normal and nothing to be too concerned about.

The other question that has been on my mind is, since this new routine I go to the gym every second day for about 3-4 times a week. The thing is by the time the next workout day comes along I'm still sore, should I still just go and do the same routine or leave out the muscles that are more sore than the rest or stay home and rest?

For the next two weeks workout every day.

48 hours is the time you will feel DOMS at it's worst, it dissipates quite rapidly after the 48hours.

It is very important for a beginner to workout every day, it teaches you to exercise correctly and negates DOMS

In some cases two weeks is not enough, for some, one week will be plenty depending on your condition and your ability to learn to perform an exercise correctly- to be efficient, which many seldom do.

For the next two weeks workout every day.

48 hours is the time you will feel DOMS at it's worst, it dissipates quite rapidly after the 48hours.

It is very important for a beginner to workout every day, it teaches you to exercise correctly and negates DOMS

In some cases two weeks is not enough, for some, one week will be plenty depending on your condition and your ability to learn to perform an exercise correctly- to be efficient, which many seldom do.

Today I went to the gym and left out chest as it was really sore and instead did more back exercises. Lately I've neglected the gym with being sick and injuring my wrist so maybe the soreness will go when I get some consistency back.

When I first started I did workout everyday and I have been consistently working out for 2years.