• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do i cut?

B

BREEBREE

Ok, if you paid attention to my bulking and defining thread then you will probably know what im talking about. Basically i want to know the best way to cut and give myself the nice ripped look every guy wants, although i am still currently in the very early stages of bulking i would like to just get a heads up and at least know how to do it before i actually try to do it.

So, if anyone could give me a basic outline of how to cut and when to cut, it would be a great help.

it's the opposite to bulking (obviously), instead of eating more calories than you need, eat slightly less calories than you need on a day by day basis. Reducing higher glycemic carbs would be a good start

Fadi took me school on this subject just the other day - and so far, only 4 or 5 days in, I'm noticing a difference!

Links are here:
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9622-training-smart-not-hard.html
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9219-lose-fat-maintain-muscle.html
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8997-diet-1-2200-calorie-food-plan.html

On the matter of "how to cut" and "when to cut", do whatever feels right for you. What has worked for me so far, has been 2 months of bulking (I managed to gain 8kg), and now 1 month of cutting. I eventually want to be a LEAN 85kg (I'm a mushy 78kg now). I am cutting only because I'm going on a 3 week holiday over x-mas, and I'm quite sure that I'll gain a LOT of fat while I'm on vacation.

My plan will be to bulk until I hit a "milestone weight", cut for 6 weeks, and rinse lather and repeat as many times as necessary.

Hopefully, with hard work and proper diet, I'll be a lean 85kg in 2 years time (hopefully less...but one has to be realistic!).

Cycle 1 - 70kg to 78kg ---> Cut for 6 weeks and maintain weight / lose 2kg (this is what is actually happening in my life now)
Cycle 2 - 76kg to 82kg ---> Cut for 6 weeks and maintain weight / lose 2kg at most
Cycle 3 - 80kg to 85kg ---> Cut for 6 weeks and maintain weight / lose 2kg at most
Cycle 4 - 83kg to 87kg ---> Cut for as long as it takes to get to 85kg @ 7% Body Fat
Cycle 5 - Maintain weight, and shift from "Body Building" to "Strength Building" and post on the other half of the forum where Markos lives :)

I probably shouldn't use the term "cycle" on Ausbb :p

Last edited:
with the second link, where fadi talks about

From the above, choose a weight that is between 30-50% of your 1RM. You can alternate between the first and second row of presented exercises on alternate circuit days. Example: Squats, military press, crunches, barbell curls, bench press, deadlifts, leg curls, seated rowing all done on Monday, whilst the other exercises done on Wednesday and so on.

Week #1 = 8 x exercises at 30 reps each with 1 min break in between exercises.

Week #2 = 8 x exercises at 40 reps each with 1 min break between exercises.

Week #3 = 8 x exercises at 50 reps each with 1 min break between exercises.

Week #4 = perform 2 x exercises together for a total of 100 reps (e.g. 50 Leg press + 50 Military presses). Do the same for the other three pairs. 1 minute break between the pairs (not between individual exercises).

Week #5 = perform 4x exercises together for a total of 200 reps. Do the same for the other 4 “combos”. Rest 1 minute between the 2 “combos”.

Week #6 = perform all 8 exercises together non stop, that’s 400 reps then go home!

How am i meant to do 30kg at 30 reps? 8 times, that would be near impossible for me even if i got a lot stronger...

How am i meant to do 30kg at 30 reps? 8 times, that would be near impossible for me even if i got a lot stronger...

Where does the 30kg and 8 times come into it Bree? Please take a closer look at the thread, you'll find all your answers and more there.

Fadi.

Last edited:
No need to overcomplicate the issue.

Cutting is as simple as consuming less calories than you expend, this will result in weight loss. Get your protein/carb/fat ratios correct, keep pushing the iron, throw in some high intensity cardio if the weight is not coming off fast enough.

Haven't been on here in a while haha..

Anyway, on the issue of cutting, I'm gonna be cutting after Christmas myself (Current stats 6ft1, 100kg, 19, can only see upper 2 abs and the v thing above pelvis). I want to get down to a bf where I can just see all my abs..

My question is would it be safe to do high intensity cardio before breakfast? Since instead of using food for energy, fat would get burned. I just don't wanna faint or do something stupid lol.

Last edited:
If you don't eat, is there a high chance that while burning fat you will also be burning a substantial amount of muscle?

Also, once you do eat what does your body do with the fat? Does it go straight back to fat stores?

Last edited:
Where does the 30kg and 8 times come into it Bree? Please take a closer look at the thread, you'll find all your answers and more there.

Fadi.

From the above, choose a weight that is between 30-50% of your 1RM. You can alternate between the first and second row of presented exercises on alternate circuit days. Example: Squats, military press, crunches, barbell curls, bench press, deadlifts, leg curls, seated rowing all done on Monday, whilst the other exercises done on Wednesday and so on.

as you stated, "Choose the weight that is between 30-50% of your 1RM, correct me if im wrong, but isnt 1rm your max weight you can do of like 1 repetition?

Bree, I am trying to understand what you are saying.

If your 1RM is 100kg on everything then 30kg will be 30% and 50kg will be 50%. However, that is very unlikely. If your Military Press is 30kg, you will use 9kg - 15kg. If your Bench Press is 60kg, you will use 18kg - 30kg, if your Bicep Curl is 25kg you will use 7.5kg - 12.5kg.

You can't have a 1RM of 100kg on everything.

Bree, I am trying to understand what you are saying.

If your 1RM is 100kg on everything then 30kg will be 30% and 50kg will be 50%. However, that is very unlikely. If your Military Press is 30kg, you will use 9kg - 15kg. If your Bench Press is 60kg, you will use 18kg - 30kg, if your Bicep Curl is 25kg you will use 7.5kg - 12.5kg.

You can't have a 1RM of 100kg on everything.

that is rather confusing... so what weight would i be doing if i was doing these weights?

Bench Press - 45kg 3x8
Military Press - 30kg 3x8
Dips - 3x12
Barbell Curls - 20kg 3x8
Barbell Rows - 55kg 3x8
SLDL - 55kg 3x8
Barbell Front raises 55kg 3x8
Bicep Curls - 12.5kg 3x8
Squat - 65kg 3x8
Tricep Cable Pulls - 35kg 3x8
Pullups - 3x10

or whats the formula for it? just say 30-50% of my current weight that im doing so if it was 55kg would be 16.5kg? that was at 35%

Last edited:

Anyway, on the issue of cutting, I'm gonna be cutting after Christmas myself (Current stats 6ft1, 100kg, 19, can only see upper 2 abs and the v thing above pelvis). I want to get down to a bf where I can just see all my abs..

My question is would it be safe to do high intensity cardio before breakfast? Since instead of using food for energy, fat would get burned. I just don't wanna faint or do something stupid lol.

I used to run before breakfast when I was in my early twenties and i was ok. I have read that its really important to drink some water before working out early in the morning. Maybe you could try some protien shake and some water after to wash it down.

that is rather confusing... so what weight would i be doing if i was doing these weights?

Bench Press - 45kg 3x8
Military Press - 30kg 3x8
Dips - 3x12
Barbell Curls - 20kg 3x8
Barbell Rows - 55kg 3x8
SLDL - 55kg 3x8
Barbell Front raises 55kg 3x8
Bicep Curls - 12.5kg 3x8
Squat - 65kg 3x8
Tricep Cable Pulls - 35kg 3x8
Pullups - 3x10

or whats the formula for it? just say 30-50% of my current weight that im doing so if it was 55kg would be 16.5kg? that was at 35%

Since you have not listed 1RM it is hard to give an accurate answer.

Maybe try these weights for your first sets and see if you can get through 30 reps. This is just an assumption based on the figures you have provided.

Bench Press - 30kg
Military Press - 20kg
Dips -
Barbell Curls - 15kg
Barbell Rows - 40kg
SLDL - 40kg
Barbell Front raises - 40kg
Bicep Curls - 10kg
Squat - 50kg
Tricep Cable Pulls - 27.5kg
Pullups -

Since you have not listed 1RM it is hard to give an accurate answer.

Maybe try these weights for your first sets and see if you can get through 30 reps. This is just an assumption based on the figures you have provided.

Bench Press - 30kg
Military Press - 20kg
Dips -
Barbell Curls - 15kg
Barbell Rows - 40kg
SLDL - 40kg
Barbell Front raises - 40kg
Bicep Curls - 10kg
Squat - 50kg
Tricep Cable Pulls - 27.5kg
Pullups -

I have absolutely no idea what 1RM means, if you could please explain to me i might be able to help D:

Ah, 1RM means 1 Rep Max. It is your max amount of weight that you can lift for 1 Rep.

Go to google and type 1 Rep Max calculator and put in your current lifts and it will give you an idea. Though there is no substitute for trying these yourself. Some people have good endurance and they can lift for reps better than they can for singles, other people are opposite.

Ah, 1RM means 1 Rep Max. It is your max amount of weight that you can lift for 1 Rep.

Go to google and type 1 Rep Max calculator and put in your current lifts and it will give you an idea. Though there is no substitute for trying these yourself. Some people have good endurance and they can lift for reps better than they can for singles, other people are opposite.

Bench Press - 60kg
Military Press - 40kg
Dips -
Barbell Curls - 30kg
Barbell Rows - 65kg
SLDL - 70kg
Barbell Front raises - 65kg
Bicep Curls - 15kg
Squat - 80kg
Tricep Cable Pulls - 50kg
Pullups -

they're my 1RM's of all of them.

Well then 30% - 50% of those numbers is what Fadi has outlined.

read this
long article
but lots of good info
TMUSCLE.com | Roundtable: Fasted Cardio

this article is also very relevant
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...rmance_nutrition/death_match_you_vs_your_body

i like the tmuscle site except for the fact they like to push their products

anyone can lose weight
the trick is to minimise muscle loss while maximising fat losses

Last edited:
read this
long article
but lots of good info
TMUSCLE.com | Roundtable: Fasted Cardio

this article is also very relevant
TMUSCLE.com | Death Match: You vs. Your Body

i like the tmuscle site except for the fact they like to push their products

anyone can lose weight
the trick is to minimise muscle loss while maximising fat losses

Yeap that is the hard trick. I was actually thinking of doing uphill brisk walking for about an hour, I heard that does the trick.

Gonna read those articles before I start my cut, thanks upg.

Would also appreciate Fadi's input on the matter :)

Yeap that is the hard trick. I was actually thinking of doing uphill brisk walking for about an hour, I heard that does the trick.

Gonna read those articles before I start my cut, thanks upg.

Would also appreciate Fadi's input on the matter :)

This has recently been answered in this thread, with Fadi throwing some of his weight behind the verdict of no fasted cardio.

http://ausbb.com/general-topic/9595-eat-first-exercise-first.html

Here is the interesting part of my post for those who don't want to click :p I'll let you do some clicking if you want to see Fadi's or my whole reply here will be one big quote!

• At low intensities (25-50% VO2 max), carbs during exercise reduce fat oxidation compared to fasted trainees.
• At moderate intensities (63-68% VO2 max) carbs during exercise may reduce fat oxidation in untrained subjects, but do not reduce fat oxidation in trained subjects for at least the first 80-120 minutes of exercise.
• Carbohydrate during exercise spares liver glycogen, which is among the most critical factors for anticatabolism during hypocaloric & other conditions of metabolic stress. This protective hepatic effect is absent in fasted cardio.
• At the established intensity level of peak fat oxidation (~63% VO2 max), carbohydrate increases performance without any suppression of fat oxidation in trained subjects.