• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How often do you weight train each area?

B

buntu

First off just like to say what a great place you have here , full of great info and interesting articles

I have weedy arms so using weights to build them up put on some muscle in my biceps. I have been doing 10 reps with 10kgs daily , how often should i do this ?

Hi Buntu,

Is 10kg a barbell or 10kg dumbbells?
Either way, doesn't really matter as you have to start somewhere.

I would recommend hitting your biceps hard just once or twice a week.
Hit them real hard and they will grow. You need to give them rest days to grow though.

Also, work hard on your triceps, as they are about twice the size of your biceps. You do want bigger arms don't you?

So do curls and chin ups for your biceps.
Dips, extensions and pressdowns for your triceps.

Chest and back exercises will also grow your arms well.

And what about legs, if you get massive arms you will look silly with skinny legs.

yes 10kg dumbbells , as i said i have weedy arms so they are heavier enough for me
thanks for the tips on the excercises to do , i notice that this place does have links to workout demonstrations so now to watch and study

my legs , well at the moment i'm not too concerned with them, they are like my arms weedy (lucky legs as my grandfather calls them, lucky that they hold me up )
i figure just concentrate on one thing at a time first

i figure just concentrate on one thing at a time first

This is not a good way to think.
Many muscles in your body are connected, so to isolate just the biceps will not work well.

If you only want to work out your arms, I would at least do triceps too to balance your arms out.

You can do overhead triceps extensions, even close grip pushups, will help your chest too.

looks like i will be also incorporating some tricep workouts too , given my body frame and genes i don 't think i will gain all that much muscle , but anything is better then what i have now

for triceps

DB Over Head Triceps Press - Standing
Starting Position:

1. Grab the DBs so that the inside end of the DB rests in the palm of your hands.
  2. Bring the DB over your head so that your arms are straight.
  3. Slightly bend your knees.
  4. Keep your back and head in a neutral position.
Movement:
  1. Lower the DB back behind you.
  2. Keep your elbows in the same position.
  3. Then slowly return the dumbbell back to the starting position.
DB Triceps Kickback - Bentover

Starting Position:

1. Grab the DBs and bend over at the waist.
  2. Keep your back and head in a neutral position.
  3. Bend both of your elbows to 90 deg so that your triceps are parallel to the ground.
Movement:
  1. Raise the DBs back behind you.
  2. Then slowly return the dumbbells back to the starting position.

buntu, everyone starts where you are right now so you aren't alone. Based on what you are saying if you are very skinny and if you have low body fat you are of a body type called an ectomorph (you can do your own research on this). An ectomorph generally doesn't have a great deal of muscle or fat, with a high metabolism. The most important part of bodybuilding is diet. For you to gain muscle you want to eat like an animal, getting in 6-8 meals a day...do not go 3 hours without taking in at least 30 grams of protein. And for someone like you, you want to get in bulk carbs from sources such as wholegrain breads, oats, pastas, rice. With you diet with effective training you should see some good starters gains as your body is new to this and is shocked in to getting bigger.
You dont want to train any muscle everyday as it takes a good 72 hours for a muscle to recover if you are working it in the manner that you should be to gain muscle. Id stay doing a weight where you are pushing to get the 10th rep out, and aim for 3 sets of the exercise. Ideally the gym isthe best place to get the gains but you can still get notable results at home with your dumbells. For someone like you maybe doing a full body workout twice a week (monday and thursday perhaps) could be the way to go. limit yourself to one or two different exercises for each muscle group focussing on getting stronger each week be it doing more reps on the same weight and then adding weight doing a lower rep amount until you can do say 12 reps on the new weight.
Bodybuilding.com has great demonstrations on how to do each exercise and also alot of full body workouts you can look at following.
I am also still learning as is everyone really but if you arm yourself with the best information possible you will know you're heading in the right direction and can go at it with everything youve got.
Good luck buddy

Go hard and infrequently.

Personally, I've put on 18kg of mass (74kg-92kg) in the last 5 months, with very minimal fat gain.

This is training each bodypart once a week, over 3 workouts a week, nice and simple.

You gotta eat to gain mass.

18kg withminimal fat is not possible in 5 months.
You just lost all credibility buddy.

When I started at 57kg all those years ago, I went from 57kg to 75 kg (18kg) in about 14-16 months with virtually no fat gain and I ate like a beats. 18kg in 5 months, c'mon man who you kidding?

18kg withminimal fat is not possible in 5 months.
You just lost all credibility buddy.

When I started at 57kg all those years ago, I went from 57kg to 75 kg (18kg) in about 14-16 months with virtually no fat gain and I ate like a beats. 18kg in 5 months, c'mon man who you kidding?

Hi Shrek,

You are not me, so you really can't compare the 2 of us.
I have pics for reference.
I actually went 74kg to 89kg in 8-9 weeks and have been cruising/stabalizing for the last 2-3 months.
Just started bulking again for the next 12 weeks.

If others do/did what I do/did, with the same intensity, effort and commitment, I'm sure they would receive similar results.

With most things I do in my life, I aim to achieve sucess as fast as possible.
And when you really, really focus on something and put all your energy into it, you can achieve anything.

If you look back and realise that you could have done just a little more, then you have not done your best. But you learn from the experience, and next time come back stronger with more intensity and will power to suceed.

My goal is to reach 100kg in the next 12 weeks, a little fat gain is ok with me. If you say something can't be done, then that is what you believe.

In my mind, it's already done and I see the results clearly in my mind before they have happened.
The mind is a very powerful tool and you need it to work for you and not against you.

Buntu,

Good to have you onboard.:)

Look... if you are just wanting to get some muscles happening, then eat and lift weights. To start with, just get the basic excersises happening. Chest, arms (bicep & Tricep), shoulders, back & abs. By doing squats for your legs, this will help give core strength ie. get you looking thick;). If you cannot do legs, or don't want to, then don't worry.

Just do upper body to start with, start seeing the gains, then go harder and do more excersises.:)

MightyTriby

The Hulkster!,

Looking nice mate:). You can really see the gains, you look bigger, thicker, and more in proportion.;)

MightyTriby

Ok, some pics.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/see_bay/SUB 1/11weekschange-doublebiceps.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/see_bay/SUB 1/01.jpg

First 2 are the change in 11 weeks, started on 7th April, 2008.
Second pic I took last night, 24th September, 2008.

Height - 183cm / 6ft
Weight - 90kg / 198lbs
Bodyfat - 17.5% (tested yesterday on Bodyscan x-ray, most accurate method)

Anything is possible, some things are just unlikely. And to be fair Shrek, I went from 60kg to 80kg without a huge gain in bodyfat in about a year. But that's me. Either way training twice a week seems to be the most you should train any bodypart for optimal growth.

Anything is possible, some things are just unlikely. And to be fair Shrek, I went from 60kg to 80kg without a huge gain in bodyfat in about a year. But that's me. Either way training twice a week seems to be the most you should train any bodypart for optimal growth.

Me too, its called puberty...