• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to measure body fat % - Sydney

maxwolfie

Calipers - I know that there are quite a few inaccurate ones out there... What should I be looking for? Brands? Models?

Alternatively, I can just go somewhere and pay in Sydney. But where?

I'm considering going for a DEXA scan.

It might seem like overkill, but I'm really curious as to what my bf% is. Visual guesses and measurementes from Tanita scales at the gym have ranged from 13 - 18.

$60 every 3-4 months or so for a scan won't break the budget.

Google a company a called body composition, they are in Darlinghurst. I can't post urls until I have a higher post count.

Dexa is good, done it a couple of times now.

However, if you think you are 10%, you are more likely 13-15% in reality.

And if you are getting old you can get your bone mineral density checked too :).

Caliper measurements take a lot of practice to get accurate % and good calipers are expensive. You only really need an estimate of body fat % and that is only for explaining to others, who can not see you, how fat you are.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, heard about those. I thought it skews the results if you are overly hydrated/dehydrated though?

Cant say as i wasnt really listening, It wasnt really a class. It was a person from metagenics trying to sell us the machines for our practices so i thought obvious bias here and switched off..

Really, why do you care about BF %. It's how you look that counts. No point being 8% BF if you have no muscle.
The mirror will accurately determine how you look, if you like what you see, great, if not keep losing the fat.

Really, why do you care about BF %. It's how you look that counts. No point being 8% BF if you have no muscle.
The mirror will accurately determine how you look, if you like what you see, great, if not keep losing the fat.

I'm a geek. I respond well to numbers and stats and graphs and pie charts :)

I guess it's more to compare how successful a diet was/is, rather than "oh cool I'm 8% BF" sort of thing :)