• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hows my Keto Diet??

Stevo82

Hey guy's I'm just looking for some advice/suggestions on my Keto diet (tkd), I started on the 18th and are continuing on a 4 day split routine. My macros are around 140g fat, 185g protien and around 30g carb though if I can keep the carbs low I'll chuck a extra protien shake in. This should give around 2100 calories around 500 cals defict, I was around 85kg now 80ish and the aim is cut to around 75kg

how much carbohydrates are you consuming around training?

Any particular reason you are doing Keto?

Where are you getting you 30g of carbs from within your food intake?

I have just finished the first week so I haven't been conuming carbs pre/post workout, however I'm aiming for a carb feed of around 30-50gms pre workout which won't be counted in my daily calorie requirement in my future workouts, most likely a complex carb. My 30gms and under of carbs per day have been coming from broccoli, beans, carrots, WPC etc. One thing that troubles me is that my Keto readings are still quite low, I'm not sure if they have to be higher. The reason I'm on Keto is I wanted to strip 10kg and the misses was intent on going on a Dukan diet which has her eating mostly protien and veges so it fits in with her diet so to speak. It was going to be to hard to obtain calore requirements for me on that diet. I'm looking at moving to a low carb diet next, I have Lyle McDonalds UD2.0 which I have been reading and tyring to understand as a future option.

the carbohydrates you will be consuming around your training DO count towards your daily calorie intake. They don't get special consideration just because they are consumed around training. You have added calories in to your daily intake, so they must be accounted for.

Full ketosis does not develop until the 3 week mark with a number of other factors determining the readings on the keto sticks. How 'deep' you are or the reading of ketosis is meaningless, once you in ketosis, you are in ketosis.

The UD2.0 is essentially a CKD, keto for 4 days and carb load for 3. IMO there is much easier and more manageable protocols to follow especially if you are not super lean already. Having a more consistent macronutrient intake and reqgular calorie intake makes adherence so much easier for the long term. Unless you are getting into the -8% BF range, doing that is not really require from my experience.

the carbohydrates you will be consuming around your training DO count towards your daily calorie intake. They don't get special consideration just because they are consumed around training. You have added calories in to your daily intake, so they must be accounted for.

Thanks for that, not questioning you but I had read that on tkd you dont count the cals from you pre/post feed as they will be burnt in the workout and as I'm in a calorie defict already this would push me further down. Would you suggest a continuing of 2100 cals on workout day or simply eating more and counting them. Max am I on the right path with regards to carb cycling on workout days with tkd?

As with the UD2.0 I haven't read a hole lot but I knew there was carb cycling. I'm new to calorie counting etc

Would you suggest a macro adjustment?

Cheers Steve:)

Last edited:
Thanks for that, not questioning you but I had read that on tkd you dont count the cals from you pre/post feed as they will be burnt in the workout and as I'm in a calorie defict already this would push me further down. Would you suggest a continuing of 2100 cals on workout day or simply eating more and counting them. Max am I on the right path with regards to carb cycling on workout days with tkd?

As with the UD2.0 I haven't read a hole lot but I knew there was carb cycling. I'm new to calorie counting etc

Would you suggest a macro adjustment?

Cheers Steve:)
I'm not sure where you have read it but there is no way in the world that it should not NOT be included. But anyway that is beyond the point, they need to be accounted for.

If you wish to be in a large calorie deficits on say non training days and then add the extra calories in to account for the extra carbohydrate for training and therefor be left with a more moderate deficit (if indeed it is a deficit) on those days, then that is fine.

Otherwise you can simply just average it all out over the week and then evenly split it so each day is the same.

A the end of the 'day' it is net calorie balance. It is whatever allows for you to adhere to it long term is what will produce the results. It is individual, so if that is what suits you well then yes you are on the right path.

My suggestions - use a RMR calculator and make the necessary adjusments for activity levels. Start off at a 10% deficit. If you wish to do a 'Keto' style dietary protocol, have carbohydrates at 90grms as a staple each day. Ensure protein is minimum 2g/kg bodyweight and fats 1g/kg bodyweight. Once all the minimums have been met, split the remining calories up into say a 60-70% protein/ 40-30% fat ratio.

Used to be a big believer in Keto...not so much anymore...its ok for the short term...

Good to hear Joel.

The weight loss was great, but since changing my diet to more of a "normal" eating plan that includes alot more fruit, veggies, more carbs I have honestly felt like a different person (for the better)...and I must say I have never looked so good....

Eating 3-4 meals a day now...heaps more fruit, heaps more veggies, different forms of carbs and different forms of protein and fats...feeling great!

The weight loss was great, but since changing my diet to more of a "normal" eating plan that includes alot more fruit, veggies, more carbs I have honestly felt like a different person (for the better)...and I must say I have never looked so good....

Eating 3-4 meals a day now...heaps more fruit, heaps more veggies, different forms of carbs and different forms of protein and fats...feeling great!

That's awesome man. It's all about balance & working out what works best for you.

I've only done low carb for relatively short term. Didn't mind it really but I feel much better with a good variety of foods.

thats not bad umm my fat intake its 60-80 on a daily basis and i have 250-320g of protein and 20-50g of carbs and loving the results i have 4 shakes a day morning before work out after work out and at night food i usually have meat of any sort i feel like every 2-3 hours with a bit of salad

i went from 84 to 79 kgs and i havnt lost on bit of muscle more or less put on a bit iv been doing it for like 3 months but iv dont two weeks separated from each other in the 3 months were i just carb up for a week straight as my muscles will just eat everything up after depleting

I'm on a pretty much year-round low carb diet. It works well when dieting down to make weight, getting stronger and muscular growth.

I position my carb intake pre workout and breakfast since I hit the gym latter in the day. On days I don't train....I refrain from carbs altogether. Lets face it, the body is damn good at turning protien, fat & charbohydrates ino glucose.

I'm on a pretty much year-round low carb diet. It works well when dieting down to make weight, getting stronger and muscular growth.

I position my carb intake pre workout and breakfast since I hit the gym latter in the day. On days I don't train....I refrain from carbs altogether. Lets face it, the body is damn good at turning protien, fat & charbohydrates ino glucose.

Really, low carb is not the greatest for getting stronger and muscular growth.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the carb turning into glycogen and that sort of stuff. All I know is that when I did the low carbs, I kinda burned out in the gym, what I mean was my intensity went down. Now for the 2 months that I did it, I had around 50g of carbs a day and lost some fat mass, probably a fair bit come to think of it, but my strength progress was terrible. When I look over my training log for that time period I was only able to add very incremental amounts of weight for the whole 2 months. I guess everyone is different. I now run with about 300-400g of carbs a day and loss of fat mass has considerably slowed, but my strength is going up considerably faster and intensity remains high. I find that to get the fat mass moving quicker I have to add more steady state (walking etc) to my daily routine. And as my cals were the same then as they are now (around 2800-3000), I can say that having less carbs some how made me loose fat more quickly but at the expense of my ability to recover and my intensity in the training room leading to poor strength gains. How does this effect me? well I am in a very slow state of body recomposition and don't mind taking the long road to get what I am aiming for so decided against the low carb option.
But then again, I was quite fat back then so loosing the fat mass at a faster rate was probably due to the 3000cals being quite a bit more of a deficit than it is now. My body was more use to probably 4000-5000 cals of junk food a day, so I cannot definitively say low carbs was the actual cause as opposed to other factors.

My experience on low carbs
G

Really, low carb is not the greatest for getting stronger and muscular growth.

Links to support your statement ? I'll find some in a mo'. This is a quantifiable issue, so scientific research may be used to support either point. Antidotal accounts are good but are ranked fairly low when assassin research.

I do realize the burdon of proof is upon me.

Last edited:
I restricted carbs for 3 months and gained no strength in the gym. A refeed gave me a couple of good days then plateau off till next refeed.
Now I am having my optimum carbs and already pulling PB's.
I know of some people who restrict carbs and still make gains.
Each body works different.

How often did you refeed? For the record I endulge in carbs on Saturdays (it fits in nicely with my program & personal life).

Did you restrict carbs and live on a low calorie diet, as in below maintenance ? If so, it's no wonder you didn't achieve increased performance.

How often did you refeed? For the record I endulge in carbs on Saturdays (it fits in nicely with my program & personal life).

Did you restrict carbs and live on a low calorie diet, as in below maintenance ? If so, it's no wonder you didn't achieve increased performance.
Absolutely restricted calories by 300 a day.
I tried to eat more protein and fats on Keto @1500 Cal's but that killed me also! 1500 Cal's is my maintenance.
Refeed was on legs days, once per week.