• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hyperextensions....Do you do them?

BrisVegasGhost

Elite Member
Do you use a Hyperextensoin?

I have used one at my local gym occasionally but I have now cancelled my membership and was wondering if its worth buying one for my home set up.

Do you add these to your training?

Cheers

I use it occasionally. I like it. Not sure I'd buy one though. Can use barbell or dumbells as substitute.

Always seemed like a bit of a junk exercise to me but then again I have a short torso and deadlift with rhabdo-inducing volume

Love them. They alone fixed my fucked back. I would do them over GHR any day of the week.

Olympic lifters love them apparently.

Hyperextensions....Do you do them?
Most definitely....no, not hyper, just back extensions. One of the best exercises for your erector muscles and one that every Olympic weightlifter does. The legend Vasiliy Alexeev was known to do reps with an 80kg bar resting on his traps. In fact I just bought a bench from the US, as I find alternative exercises such as the good mornings etc. don't really hit the spot without an increased risk of injury.

Most gyms have gotten rid of the hyperextension benches because people were actually hyper-extending their back whilst using them, which is not the proper way to perform this exercise under pressure.

This is the bench I bought recently:

$_12[1].jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. It has helped me make up my mind .I can pick up a second hand 45 degree one that is in good condition.

Cheers

Getting a little spinal flexion and extension is a good thing for the erectors and interconnecting muscles of the spine.

With hypers you get this, if you move at the spine rather than the hip, like most do.

Side bends are another good spinal exercise.

Doing a modified stiffy is a good alternative also, goodmornings not so good

Might try these with a barbell added. 2x20kg plates behind the head is easy and never really thought of using a barbell
Can't hurt

used to at my old gym and found i got a real burn in the muscle and quite liked em, but th last 12mth or so i havent done em.

Might try these with a barbell added. 2x20kg plates behind the head is easy and never really thought of using a barbell
Can't hurt
That's all we used Oni, a barbell. Give it a go, you'd like it I'm sure.

Fadi.

med_1226635392-6a00d8353597d769e200e54f14c2708833-800wi.jpg

must... acquire... Rigert... back

never really did much for me, doubt the gym management would like it much if I were to start doing them with a barbell haha. I don't mind the exercise, but have always done it unweighted.

never really did much for me, doubt the gym management would like it much if I were to start doing them with a barbell haha. I don't mind the exercise, but have always done it unweighted.
Actually, the alternative to using weights would be performing the exercise isometriclly, which is done in a static position just as if you were doing a plank... ah, speaking of planks, it would be great to include it for balancing out the overall strength of your core muscles. All the best.

146507794098562443_dRF6KlgT_c.jpg

5978184_orig.jpg

Fadi.

Hypers are great for the lower back, hams and glutes. Do them.

You do not need to use a barbell. It might sound sexy but that's just stupid ego chit. All you need to do is hold a plate to your chest, edge of plate right up under your chin. Much less fuss, safer and you are not going to knock out the pink thing in yoga pants doing stretches next to you.

In fact, if you have never done them before, just go unweighted until you get the hang of it, then add small amounts of weight.

How not to do them: Fapping away like a door in a hurricane. You will see this, it looks like speed hypers with no control and no pausing. May as well do situps, which are the world's second most useless exercise.

How to do them: Do them like most bodybuilder exercises should be done, under control, with perfect form. Whether you are weighted or unweighted, bend at the waist so that you are forming a 90 degrees shape, head vertically down. Contract your back and glutes to bring yourself up to a horizontal plank position and hold it there, even if it's only half a second. Squeeze the bemohammad out of your glutes and back. Relax and bend back down under control, pause a half second, rinse and repeat.

Do 5 sets of ten. You should be walking around like a zombie after that, with a massive lower back pump. Its quite uncomfortable but will do your spine a world of good. Nothing like a mass of ropey muscle to keep the spine aligned plus it will rocket your deadlift and keep your squat safe.

Beast mode: engaged.

Awesomeness achieved.