• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hyperextensions....Do you do them?

I found a 135cm EZ curl bar is easier and more comfortable to hold on your back than a 220cm Olympic bar (and probably safer for other people in the general area too)

Hypers are great for the lower back, hams and glutes. Do them.

You do not need to use a barbell. It might sound sexy but that's just stupid ego chit. All you need to do is hold a plate to your chest, edge of plate right up under your chin. Much less fuss, safer and you are not going to knock out the pink thing in yoga pants doing stretches next to you.

In fact, if you have never done them before, just go unweighted until you get the hang of it, then add small amounts of weight.

How not to do them: Fapping away like a door in a hurricane. You will see this, it looks like speed hypers with no control and no pausing. May as well do situps, which are the world's second most useless exercise.

How to do them: Do them like most bodybuilder exercises should be done, under control, with perfect form. Whether you are weighted or unweighted, bend at the waist so that you are forming a 90 degrees shape, head vertically down. Contract your back and glutes to bring yourself up to a horizontal plank position and hold it there, even if it's only half a second. Squeeze the bemohammad out of your glutes and back. Relax and bend back down under control, pause a half second, rinse and repeat.

Do 5 sets of ten. You should be walking around like a zombie after that, with a massive lower back pump. Its quite uncomfortable but will do your spine a world of good. Nothing like a mass of ropey muscle to keep the spine aligned plus it will rocket your deadlift and keep your squat safe.

Beast mode: engaged.

Awesomeness achieved.

Perfect!

This, love banded hypers, good for rehabbing back also.

Using a band looks all wrong to me.

Apart from being a pain to set-up and no way to progress....the strength curve is arse about, the resistance should be higher at extension, rather than the other way around.

just my thoughts

Yeah, not sure what ya saying Silverback, the resistance is highest at extension, bands are wrapped around the base, and strung round my neck. Use different strength bands for different tension.

I just use a stronger band, hold a plate, kettle bell - even put a barbell behind your neck - plenty of ways of progressing with the exercise - would be one of the 1st bits of equipment I would buy if I had a home gym.

Yeah, not sure what ya saying Silverback, the resistance is highest at extension, bands are wrapped around the base, and strung round my neck. Use different strength bands for different tension.

Ok, when I say "extension" I mean the muscles of the spine, the low position where there is no or minimal resistance.
At contraction the resistance is highest, due mainly to gravity, makes no sense to add resistance on top of this.

but finding ways of increasing resistance in the extended position would be tricky, so you would best be served holding a plate at the chest.

And stopping (on the way down ) on the negative just before you lose tension in the muscle.

I thought they'd be in Flexion at the bottom position? Unless I'm misunderstanding?

The muscles will be stretched (extended).

At the top of the movement the muscles will be contracted (flexed), flexion.

Picture bicep curls.

Last edited:
Hypers are great for the lower back, hams and glutes. Do them.

You do not need to use a barbell. It might sound sexy but that's just stupid ego chit.
Some may feel the need to use a barbell simply to increase the load beyond what a 25kg weight disk can offer. I can assure you no Olympic weightlifter I've ever trained with thought of it as been sexy to do so. We simply did what was necessary to achieve a desired result...period!

Fadi.

Some may feel the need to use a barbell simply to increase the load beyond what a 25kg weight disk can offer. I can assure you no Olympic weightlifter I've ever trained with thought of it as been sexy to do so. We simply did what was necessary to achieve a desired result...period!

Fadi.

Where do you rest the bar Fadi?