• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I'm quitting

I just read this somewhere, "....there is a risk to benefit ratio for every exercise you perform."

what's the ratio for weight lifting exercises such as barbell back squat, deadlifts etc.,?

Are we better off doing exercises that are less likely to cause injury if our training goal is only health and appearance and not competitive lifting.

Well properly performed squats and deadlifts in a healthy person should only improve their health.

The trouble comes in doing it right, which is why a good coach or PT is invaluable. Keep the risk low and the benefit is very high.

If you find yourself a moderate in politics, smoke weed but avoid the hard stuff, and get referred to as a "good neighbor", 5/3/1 is right up your alley.

Dang it, I don't fit any of those descriptions. Guess I'd better quit being so successful with 5/3/1 then... :rolleyes:

Well properly performed squats and deadlifts in a healthy person should only improve their health.

The trouble comes in doing it right, which is why a good coach or PT is invaluable. Keep the risk low and the benefit is very high.
Exactly.

The other day my manager asked me, "Have you ever been injured doing deadlifts?"

"Yes. As you know I scoliosis, and I went too far too fast without someone to watch my form, pulled too hard, all the pull went through one side, strained the muscles. But since then I've either had a trainer watching every rep, or else progressed slowly and carefully, trying to make every rep perfect. When I was sedentary I woke every morning with my back seized up, took twenty or more minutes of walking and stretching just to be able to function. With regular and properly-performed deadlifts, no problems."

The thing about the big free weight compound lifts is that they have less room for error than all the machine and isolation lift. You can be pretty sloppy on a machine bench press and you're unlikely to hurt yourself. Get sloppy on deadlifts and bad things can happen.

As a trainer, I've always been a stickler for form, and been cautious but not cowardly with the weight and reps progression. I don't hesitate to stop a rep - it's common for people to get a great setup for the deadlift, then on the first pull their lower back rounds. "Stop. Now set up again, and keep your chest up the whole time."

Of course things become different when someone's pulling twice or more their bodyweight. But that's not something I claim to know about - I train beginners. And let's face it, beginners are the ones most likely to injure themselves frequently, in all sports. You get more knee reconstructions happening in social volleyball or netball than professional, more torn pecs from the bros at the gym doing nothing but bench and curl than from the competitive powerlifters.

I would think with a lift like the deadlift NOT doing 1rm`s over the long term would almost be impossible, its just one of those lifts, like the power clean and clean and jerk etc. where you are moving big numbers for your body and 110% effort is required, injury lurks in these areas sadly, ive had 2 injuries doing deadlifts but it will never stop me doing them, even if i was in a wheelchair i reckon i would still find a way to deadlift, when theres a will theres a way haha.

Lifts such as bench press, overhead press, even squats could be trained long term using only reps and no single attempts but i believe in the long term with deadlifts if you really want to push them to the highest level for your own strength and fitness level ( isnt that why 99% of us train? ) you have to go for the maximum effort every now and then just to gauge what you have in the tank, deadlifts can be deceiving you might think 160kg feels heavy for example on your first pull but you might have 3 of them in you easily, hence going to maximum and as already said will put you in danger but thats the only way to test your limits and really get strong. You may get pretty strong going lighter long term as well but you will never progress as fast and as effectively. Purely my own personal opinion, im not expert.

Exactly.

The other day my manager asked me, "Have you ever been injured doing deadlifts?"

"Yes. As you know I scoliosis, and I went too far too fast without someone to watch my form, pulled too hard, all the pull went through one side, strained the muscles. But since then I've either had a trainer watching every rep, or else progressed slowly and carefully, trying to make every rep perfect. When I was sedentary I woke every morning with my back seized up, took twenty or more minutes of walking and stretching just to be able to function. With regular and properly-performed deadlifts, no problems."

The thing about the big free weight compound lifts is that they have less room for error than all the machine and isolation lift. You can be pretty sloppy on a machine bench press and you're unlikely to hurt yourself. Get sloppy on deadlifts and bad things can happen.

As a trainer, I've always been a stickler for form, and been cautious but not cowardly with the weight and reps progression. I don't hesitate to stop a rep - it's common for people to get a great setup for the deadlift, then on the first pull their lower back rounds. "Stop. Now set up again, and keep your chest up the whole time."

Of course things become different when someone's pulling twice or more their bodyweight. But that's not something I claim to know about - I train beginners. And let's face it, beginners are the ones most likely to injure themselves frequently, in all sports. You get more knee reconstructions happening in social volleyball or netball than professional, more torn pecs from the bros at the gym doing nothing but bench and curl than from the competitive powerlifters.

IN my case, I have no one to ask to watch my form nor can i afford to pay thousands to hire a coach. Dont you think Im better off doing exercises that don't require someone always standing by me watching my form every rep?

IN my case, I have no one to ask to watch my form nor can i afford to pay thousands to hire a coach. Dont you think Im better off doing exercises that don't require someone always standing by me watching my form every rep?

Coaches should not cost thousands. Places like PTC are $20/session and there are people there who will watch your form when asked.

Deadlifts are a good excercise, just learn to do them properly. Or video yourself :p

I'm almost entirely self-coached so its not impossible to do. Video taping your lifts is a useful tool in this case, as is a fukcload of research.

I'm almost entirely self-coached so its not impossible to do. Video taping your lifts is a useful tool in this case, as is a fukcload of research.

I did a bit of research but I've found having someone there to comment on what I'm doing wrong a whole lot quicker :)
Video's would also work.

Not that there is anything wrong with been self-taught.