• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is creatine safe or not???

Doggies.20

Guys,

I have been instructed by NBS to take 5grams of creatine with every shake that I have a day. On my work out days that adds up to 15grams and on my rest days it adds up to 10grams..

My concern is, whether or not it is safe?? I mean I know its probably the most effective supplement out there but really I dont want long term health issues for the sake of short term results...

And btw it is creatine monohydrate.

Guys,

I have been instructed by NBS to take 5grams of creatine with every shake that I have a day. On my work out days that adds up to 15grams and on my rest days it adds up to 10grams..

My concern is, whether or not it is safe?? I mean I know its probably the most effective supplement out there but really I dont want long term health issues for the sake of short term results...

Yes it is.

Guys,

Doggies,

The AIS recognises both a "rapid loading protocol" and a "slow loading protocol", with rapid loading achieved by five days of repeated doses of creatine (e.g. 20g daily with 4 doses of 5g per day), and slow loading achieved by taking a dose of 3-5g per day for a period of say, 20 days.

Studies have shown that both rapid and slow loading produce similar results with a 20% increase in muscle total creatine concentration. This elevated creatine concentration can be maintained at just 2-3g per day.

So when first taking creatine, stick to the instructions with rapid loading for your first week. There is no conclusive study that suggests maintaining rapid loading over a longer period will return significant results - so you're best of just maintaining creatine with the 3-5g per day intake as suggested by the guys in this thread.

NBS, does all this BS really matter? Bottom line... Will the OP notice any significant differences in performance between just taking 5g-10g per day or doing all this loading BS? No I'd say.

It's not steroids, in the end all he's going to get out of it might be another rep or two at his current weights on a given exercise. No need to over-complicate.

NBS, does all this BS really matter? Bottom line... Will the OP notice any significant differences in performance between just taking 5g-10g per day or doing all this loading BS? No I'd say.

It's not steroids, in the end all he's going to get out of it might be another rep or two at his current weights on a given exercise. No need to over-complicate.

Morgan,

I personally just take 5-15g per day depending on whether I'm working out or not. Whilst the supplement has its benefits, I do not think there is any significant difference between the cycles of taking creatine. Hence why I mentioned that it was something the AIS (as well as numerous other studies) have come out with or recommended, and that I'd recommend just maintaining intake with 3-5g.

I caught HIV/AIDS from sharing my creatine and whey needles, shit's deadly

Creatine, not even once

I go 10g a day 5g pre/5g post.

Only ever loaded creatine once in my life...there is no diff loading or not loading.

gigity gigity gooooooooo

Yes, it's safe. One of the most extensively studied supplements. More so than a lot of shit available that you can put in your body.

The benefits of loading are simply that it will allow you to reach your point of creatine cell saturation more quickly than if having a lesser dose.

Someone had a great graph which displayed this some time ago, basically what I had always thought, larger doses result in peak satuation (and thus maximum benefit) more quickly, however it did, interestingly enough, show that creatine levels declined more quickly once a consistent dose was reached after loading.

I'd speculate that this was a typical negative feedback response (which is common with an adaptive living thing), the more something is available, the less well it is utilised after a period. Insulin is a good example of this, however I wouldn't expect creatine to have the same negatives.

In short, creatine is safe, better results will be had more quickly if loading, however if you want benefits for a longer period, not loading may be the best bet.
The fact levels declined over time on s ateady dose is another good reason to cycle too.