• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is it too much or even wrong?

gents.bond

Hi there guys, I need some help with my mass gain program. I am training for around 1 and half year now and at the moment I am bulking up. My physical attributes are
height: 179 cm
Current weight: 76.5 KG
Body fat %: 14.3 % [Measured at my gym with callipers]

I train 4 days a week which is as follows. My week starts from Sunday which is kind of weird but it goes likes this

SUNDAY : CHEST AND TRICEPS

Incline db press : 6,6,8,8,10
Bench Press: 6,8,8,10
Incline bd Flyes : 10,10,10
decline db flyes : 10,10,10
Weighted Dips: 10,10

Close grip bench press : 6,6,8,8,10
lying tricep extension: 6,8,8,10
cable press-down: 10,10,10

Monday : LEGS
Squats: 6,6,8,8,10
Leg Press: 6,8,8,10
Hack squat: 10,10,10
Romanian (straight legged) deadlifts: 6,6,8,8,10
Leg Curls: 10,10,10
Standing calf raise: 20,20,20

Tuesday and Wednesday :OFF

THURSDAY: SHOULDER, CORE AND CALVES
Seated overhead press : 6,6,8,8,10
Wide grip upright row : 6,8,8,10
db shrugs : 8,8,10,10,12
db lateral raise: 10,10,10
Inc. bent-over db later raise :10,10,10
Alt. db front raise : 10,10

Cable crunch : 12,12,12,12
Hanging knee raise: 15,15,15
Plank: 2 x Failure

Donkey calf raise : 15,15,15,15

FRIDAY: BACK AND BICEPS
Barbell Rows : 6,6,8,8,10
Deadlifts: 6,8,8,10
Wide grip pull down: 10,10,10
Seated cable row : 10,10,10
Pull ups : 2X failure

barbell Curls : 6,6,8,8,10
EZ Bar Preacher Curls : 6,8,8,10
Incl. alt. db Curls : 10,10,10

SATURDAY : OFF

Now My question is I am extremely tired after my leg and back/biceps day. specially on leg day i am barely able to walk afterwards. the workout generally takes me 60 to 80 mins max to complete. but my main question is am i doing too much. But yeah I am doing this workout for last 3 weeks and i can see great results, my mates tell me i m becoming a tank ..lol !! But yeah any suggestions on my workout would be really appreciated. Cheers

Eat more. What's your diet like? Diet is where your size and recovery comes from.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for the reply. yeah i am eating somewhere near about 2700-3200 calories in about 5 meals excluding my protein shakes which i take,first thing in the morning, post workout and before going to bed, i get 7-8 hours sleep daily. and i think I am recovering pretty well. Its just my legs which are really sore upto 2-3 days. rest of my body parts are generally sore same day but after night's sleep soreness is gone. recently ( 2 weeks) i have started taking creatine in my post workout shake as i heard it helps in recovering faster. but yeah i can definitely see my results. I hope i m doing almost all right things for my goal ??

It's a lot of work mate. Why do you squat then use the leg press THEN the hack squat ?

why are you doing a close grip bench press after you've done (what i assume is a) flat bench press?

what's with doing rows THEN deadlifting?

what's with doing ez barbell curls then preacher curls?

i've trained with a lot of bodybilders (or wannabe bodybuilders), this is the type of approach they take, so i'm aware of the intensity you're wanting to get. It's not that i'm dissing you. I just would like some clarification. Did you put this together, did somebody give/sell it to you or did you pull it from a website or something?

It hasnt been said yet so I may as well.

Your programs shit - the volume is completely overwhelming for everything and theres nothing built into the program to gauge progress.

You should start off on a strength routine. This is because:
1) size = strength, and right now youre not a bodybuilder
2) most beginner strength routines are written by normal people, not the magazine editors of supplement peddlers like flex.

Do something like this:

Monday:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench/overhead press (alternate)
3x10 Row

Wednesday:
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Friday:
3x5 Squat
3x10 bent row

Keep going with that untill you can squat 140kg, bench 100kg and deadlift 180kg. Then you should know how to train yourself.

Wow that's a lot of stuff to get through each day. I'd tend to agree with Oliver04 and concentrate on the main exercises like squat, deadlift, military press and bench to get your strength up. I have only recently joined this site and have already found it very useful, Fadi's "move your body through space" thread in particular which could be beneficial to you.

It hasnt been said yet so I may as well.

Your programs shit - the volume is completely overwhelming for everything and theres nothing built into the program to gauge progress.

You should start off on a strength routine. This is because:
2) most beginner strength routines are written by normal people, not the magazine editors of supplement peddlers like flex.

Do something like this:

Monday:
3x5 Squat
3x10 Row

Wednesday:
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Friday:
3x5 Squat
3x10 bent row

Keep going with that untill you can squat 140kg, bench 100kg and deadlift 180kg. Then you should know how to train yourself.

Yup ===> x 2

When will the "no pain/no gain" myth ever die?!

When will "I have to train the muscle from every angle in each and every single workout” myth ever die?!

When will bodybuilders realise that their growth is governed by their ability to recover then supercompensate before tearing their muscles again in the gym?!

When will bodybuilders start to think "train smart" before "train hard”?!

When will bodybuilders realise that ample “real food” calories and rest after some intelligent workouts are their way to supercompensation (growth)?!

When will bodybuilders realise that training is the catalyst to growth and not growth itself?!

When...?!

Fadi.

When will the "no pain/no gain" myth ever die?!

When will "I have to train the muscle from every angle in each and every single workout” myth ever die?!

When will bodybuilders realise that their growth is governed by their ability to recover then supercompensate before tearing their muscles again in the gym?!

When will bodybuilders start to think "train smart" before "train hard”?!

When will bodybuilders realise that ample “real food” calories and rest after some intelligent workouts are their way to supercompensation (growth)?!

When will bodybuilders realise that training is the catalyst to growth and not growth itself?!

When...?!

Fadi.

Not much has changed since the 1960's, which was the golden era of bodybuilding. So really, in the last 50something years...we can confirm that collectively they haven't........yet

When...?!

Fadi.

Wait! So you are telling me if i do 5 different Bicep Curls they wont blow up like balloons as im watching myself in the mirror? :eek:

looking at that program is overwhelming. So much volume :eek: im amazed u havent been overtraining as well. I wuold stick to what oliviers program and go from there.

I had a reply but then I got hypnotised by ceffo's avatar. Ok back on track now. Read Fadi's advice and then re-read olivers advice. Put two and two together and you will see you are not training efficiently. Train hard but smart get some strength up and eat enough to grow.

This is not neccesarily true, I recently changed to a more "bodybuilder" style of training... I have been putting on size, while progessively getting weaker... ie. Was benching 100kg, but have dropped down to 70kg, with VERY slow reps etc.

This is not neccesarily true, I recently changed to a more "bodybuilder" style of training... I have been putting on size, while progessively getting weaker... ie. Was benching 100kg, but have dropped down to 70kg, with VERY slow reps etc.

I think he means size comes from strength mate.

With out picking up such heavy things hypertrophy will not be stimulated, without eating enough calories hypertrophy will be blunted.

Craft, a 70kg super slow BP does not mean you are weaker than your previous 100kg fast as you can BP. You are performing the movement in a different manner with greater time under tension so you are expressing your strength differently. Is it optimal to train that way to increase your max, no, but will it trash your muscles, yes.

With out picking up such heavy things hypertrophy will not be stimulated, without eating enough calories hypertrophy will be blunted.

Craft, a 70kg super slow BP does not mean you are weaker than your previous 100kg fast as you can BP. You are performing the movement in a different manner with greater time under tension so you are expressing your strength differently. Is it optimal to train that way to increase your max, no, but will it trash your muscles, yes.

Ah yes, I see your point... Although my max lift has come down since then.... So i guess while my max has come down, I have built strength in a different group of muscle fibres, and consequently grown.

Not exactly, you would be expressing your strength differently so you are training your muscle fibers to perform their function in a different way. You would still be using the same muscle fibers.

as dorian yates once said in his seminar

A lift where u get from A-B very quickly without needing to control the weight on the negative will allow u to lift more as your not taxing the muscles as much. (powerlifting)

Now getting from A-B but in a controlled manner (2-3/4 seconds on the negative). This causes more muscle damage but causes u to gain more size (hypertrophy). But on a negative side does not allow u lift as much. (bodybuilding). You may look bigger but your lifts wont be as high.

Dorian Yates Seminar On Chest Training Part 1