• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Powerlifting a Team Sport?

Is powerlifting a team sport?

• Total voters
While many contribute to the training only the one competes and this is what the final results are based on, no different to golf, boxing, Emma, tennis etc etc

Lol. I like how all the opinions are largely from people who are non-powerlifters.

If you're going to look at each individual attempt on the platform then yes it would just be a solo sport, but for some, and this is especially at bigger comps the results for the whole day's event can be reliant on the performance of more than one individual. Warm-ups, strategy, gear, picking numbers... a lot more than just 9 attempts goes into a powerlifting meet.

The results are always attributed to one individual yes, but a lot of those individuals will have one, two, or three other people working with them to make sure those results are achieved.

I'm not going to vote because I don't think there is any one answer. For some it's entirely individual. For others it's certainly team based. Everyone is different. Most will benefit from a team environment. Check out all the current PTCs as an example. The results coming out of HQ speak to the advantages of a team environment.

Of course its an individual sport. How could anyone argue any different. You have one person competing.

No shit there are people helping that individual in the background. Thats no different to any other individual sport, tennis, boxing, ect.

I'm not sure why this is even a question or why powerlifters try and claim its a team sport. Clearly it's not.

I believe its either way. I'd love to be apart of a team but train alone and will probably lift alone at the Push/Pull. Im all for being a self sufficient lifter eventually for coaching and self handled at a comp which is my ultimate goal as a powerlifter but theres nothing better than someone wrapping your knees and slapping you on the back before a lift attempt then ripping your wraps off, getting you a drink.

I believe its either way. I'd love to be apart of a team but train alone and will probably lift alone at the Push/Pull. Im all for being a self sufficient lifter eventually for coaching and self handled at a comp which is my ultimate goal as a powerlifter but theres nothing better than someone wrapping your knees and slapping you on the back before a lift attempt then ripping your wraps off, getting you a drink.

Everyone in powerlifting lifts alone. Just because someone slaps you on the back doesn't change that only one person lifts the bar.

It's not a fucking team sport. It's pretty bloody simple.

Everyone in powerlifting lifts alone. Just because someone slaps you on the back doesn't change that only one person lifts the bar.

It's not a fucking team sport. It's pretty bloody simple.

Your opinion. You dont have to share other peoples opinions.

Your opinion. You dont have to share other peoples opinions.

It's not my opinion its a bloody fact. Only 1 person competes. Therefore not a team sport. Pretty simple.

If powerlifting is classed as a team sport then there is no such thing as an individual sport.

A team collectively work towards an end (shared) goal, in most cases a grand final at the end of a season.

I believe if the the points where added by lifters representing a club collectively then that's different.

The question should be, is it a sport? LOL
That would be subjective.

Yes, I suppose there is some that like the assistance and comradeship. some prefer having a coach or team leader that helps you wrap and even decide your comp weights and training lifts.

There may also be coaches that will claim to the lifter they have the answers, albeit good coach can guide beginners in an astute way (hopefully).

But the fact is that many succeed without such assistance, thus powerlifting is not a team sport. If it was, an individual could not succeed.

In team sports, one individual alone cannot deliver success. Team sports are dependent on team mates, good chemistry, good leadership, cooperation, and even community support behind them.

Yes, I suppose there is some that like the assistance and comradeship. some prefer having a coach or team leader that helps you wrap and even decide your comp weights and training lifts.

There may also be coaches that will claim to the lifter they have the answers, albeit good coach can guide beginners in an astute way (hopefully).

But the fact is that many succeed without such assistance, thus powerlifting is not a team sport. If it was, an individual could not succeed.

In team sports, one individual alone cannot deliver success. Team sports are dependent on team mates, good chemistry, good leadership, cooperation, and even community support behind them.

And team work on the field?
Good post.

Lol. I like how all the opinions are largely from people who are non-powerlifters.

If you're going to look at each individual attempt on the platform then yes it would just be a solo sport, but for some, and this is especially at bigger comps the results for the whole day's event can be reliant on the performance of more than one individual. Warm-ups, strategy, gear, picking numbers... a lot more than just 9 attempts goes into a powerlifting meet.

The results are always attributed to one individual yes, but a lot of those individuals will have one, two, or three other people working with them to make sure those results are achieved.

Kunty is Kunty

AS el freako suggests, there may be some blurring of elements associated with individual and team sports.

But, as I have suggested, powerlifting would be one of the most pure sports that requires less support say when compared to boxing, or even weightlifting given that the latter has a much great technical element.

Of course, even individuals need some support, but on scale of one to ten, powerlifting would rank very low in terms of necessary assistance.

The same is true of team sports, there is some overlap in terms of importance of great individuals to certain sports. For example, of the rugby codes, and I prefer league, I struggle to find a team sport which requires greater teamwork than union.

But, I think it is safe to say powerlifting is essentially an individual sport.