• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Starting Strength or a split going to build most muscle for 15mnths trainee?

I don't think so. You're comparing your best lifts in a powerlifting setting to my average lifts in a bodybuilding setting. For example, when I do my Deadlifts, I have already done Squats, Bench, weighted pull ups etc. My grip is fucked and gives out towards the end of my sets (was doing them all over hand grip last time) as a result. And I still have to overhead press, and do heavy weighted dips after.

So yeah, your 1RM deadlift may be a few kilos heavier than my work sets, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

More weight = greater stress placed on body = greater growth.

And I do MMA not powerlifting. For me a 100kg deadlift is something to put in a cardio complex, not a working set in a strength session

We have been training about the same time, but I have had months and months off since then..

Your doing something wrong and it's in the food department.

i heard the term 200lb bench/300lb squat/400lb dead to be sort of like the beginning of the intermediate stage of lifting and thought that once i've reached that strength level (or there abouts) i would have a decent enough strength level to ditch the full body routine and go a bodybuilding split if desired

food for thought anyway

I'm lazy, I feel I don't need to repeat myself.
A competitive lifter will train differently to a bodybuilder or a lifting hobbyist as ive written.
Someone wanting growth just needs to lift weights, efficiency is based on intensity of work.

I'm telling the op stick to his guns and maybe work a tad harder, just some advice, only he knows, he can take that on board or not I don't really care.
If he does and it works , excellent.

i heard the term 200lb bench/300lb squat/400lb dead to be sort of like the beginning of the intermediate stage of lifting and thought that once i've reached that strength level (or there abouts) i would have a decent enough strength level to ditch the full body routine and go a bodybuilding split if desired

food for thought anyway

I've heard that before, but now that I'm getting closer to it (I'm well past the squat and dead lift) I think that's too low. I'm now liking the 200/300/400/500 press/bench/squat/dead standard. I might start looking at specific hypertrophy work then, but as it is, I'm still getting bigger just by getting stronger.

We have been training about the same time, but I have had months and months off since then..

Your doing something wrong and it's in the food department.

We haven't been training the same way though. My eating is spot on. My training has been pretty shit, thats why I'm asking about training. Not to mention you didn't start lifting at 65 kilos. Look at my avi, that is wheres-the-shabs skinny.

I've only been training with a barbell for two weeks, previously I've been doing everything with dumbbells on a 120kg adjustable set at home. Although I still did the heavy compound lifts I could, which has been squats and deads 3x a week.

So I want to find the most effective routine to add muscle now that I have access to a barbell. It's looking like I should spend 8 weeks or so getting some of my lifts up. If that is what I need to do, I'll do SS (I always wanted to do it once I started using a barbell).

8 weeks of SS should give me around a 120KG 3x5 squat, 60kg 3x5 ohpress, 80kg 3x5 bench and 140-150+ 1x5 deadlift.

Elfreako, is that pull up you do a powerlifting style or bodybuilding pull up?

You'll have to clarify the difference sir... :confused:

Or are you suggesting that a pullup is a pullup? In which case I would agree and in the case of a beginner lifter like the OP would say the same thing but in regards to my argument (mainly focused on advanced lifters so a little off topic) I think specificity is still relevant... although a pullup is still a pullup.

Did that make any sense? I've just drunk a lot of wine.

So I want to find the most effective routine to add muscle now that I have access to a barbell. It's looking like I should spend 8 weeks or so getting some of my lifts up. If that is what I need to do, I'll do SS (I always wanted to do it once I started using a barbell).

8 weeks of SS should give me around a 120KG 3x5 squat, 60kg 3x5 ohpress, 80kg 3x5 bench and 140-150+ 1x5 deadlift.

This may or may not happen, you may stall and need to reset. Either way give it a good 3 months at least and see how you're going then. Eat big (if you're not growing now, eat bigger) and hit a 140 squat then come back to us and tell us your results. Better yet, keep a log so we can follow the progress. :cool:

Yeah I've actually bought some microplates I'm gonna geek into the gym with and use after about 5 weeks. I'm set so that I'll be pushing myself again in week 3, everything has been pretty cruisy this week so far with these wussy weights. Gotta show the bod what I'm doing though.

Hopefully I won't have to reset cause I only want to do this for about 9 weeks. After that I'm gonna try a good 4 day split with lots of compounds and do it for the same time frame and compare.

Side question: do you need a prescription for lactase and is it something to even consider supplementing with? Need a cheap and soulful way to up the calories soon and don't want to up the farts at the same time. Was thinking go nuts on the milk.

I'm 75kg at 173cm and these are pretty much my exact lifts. I am far from a good lifter. I wouldn't put a timeframe on it. It's a marathon not a sprint.

I would do starting strength or PTC beginners (I'm doing PTC myself) now that you have a BB. Push yourself in the gym, eat well and sleep well.

Here watch this and lift more/eat/sleep:
YouTube - THEGODOVROIDZ's Channel

I started on a 3 day full body routine, i could only keep that up for about 4 months, my body learned how to do the routine and was adpated.
Then i switched to splitting body into 2 and doing 2 times per week (4 sessions).
I got to a point where i could not progress my lifts as i felt i was pushing more and more.
Now i am on a 4 day split (1 body part a week) this allows me fully push each part as hard as i can.

I don't care what anyone says, there was no way I could continue the full body 3 days a week

Here watch this and lift more/eat/sleep:
YouTube - THEGODOVROIDZ's Channel

I started on a 3 day full body routine, i could only keep that up for about 4 months, my body learned how to do the routine and was adpated.
Then i switched to splitting body into 2 and doing 2 times per week (4 sessions).
I got to a point where i could not progress my lifts as i felt i was pushing more and more.
Now i am on a 4 day split (1 body part a week) this allows me fully push each part as hard as i can.

I don't care what anyone says, there was no way I could continue the full body 3 days a week

I sincerely doubt everything you have just said. Train however you want, its no skin off my nose. However don't make excuses for a program becoming too hard for you. Reset lift numbers, adjust set/reps, introduce heavy/light days ala The Texas Method, there are many adjustments possible if you're hitting a sticking point. You didn't adapt, you just reached your limits with the numbers you were using.

I suspect that you were physically capable of progressive resistance training for the whole body 3 times a week, but not mentally capable. This is not unusual, it takes a lot of willpower. I certainly couldn't do it on my own, not many people do.

I sincerely doubt everything you have just said. Train however you want, its no skin off my nose. However don't make excuses for a program becoming too hard for you. Reset lift numbers, adjust set/reps, introduce heavy/light days ala The Texas Method, there are many adjustments possible if you're hitting a sticking point. You didn't adapt, you just reached your limits with the numbers you were using.

How often do you see trainees praise the one their doing and bag the ones they have done, imm, every workout is full body as far as the recovery system is concerned.