• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Isolation exercises - where's your cutoff point?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
So most lifters do *some* isolation stuff, be it for biceps, calves, traps, abs, or whatever else. Even though a variety of compound lifts will pretty much cover all your bases, to some extent.

So, is it no shrugs for you? No calf raises? No curls? Ab work? What's the thing(s) you just don't get around to... ever?

Miss out on abs, do all the others, just cannot see how to get big and in proportion without them.

Not interested in curls, I prefer to do pullups and rows instead.
No calve raises, I don't need bigger calves.
Never get around to doing shrugs or farmers but I will, soon.

Only iso I do is my abs. I don't want a beer belly.

The way i see it, is, there are only a handful of *tru isolatory exercises, all the other (single joint) exercises will have some carry-over benefit, do them all.

*tue isolatory ones are; Leg extensions, calve raise, leg curl, forearm curls, direct neck work, crunches, and the big daddy the Medx lumbar.

Do your compund "basic/core" lifts and then do as much "isolation" work as you want - if your not doing the "isolation" work then your def not becoming as strong and big as you can.

If you want big strong arms you train arms.

If you want a big back you train back.

Compound movements are the base of all training programs but if you want to be come as big and strong as possible do everything you can to get results.

There is no cutoff point.

Iso movements are necessary for each muscle group.

Edit: I should qualify that with 'depending on your goals'.

Last edited:
Iso movements are necessary for each muscle group.

Edit: I should qualify that with 'depending on your goals'.

Interested to see what goal someone would have and not do isoloation movements? - Honestly interested.

Do your compund "basic/core" lifts and then do as much "isolation" work as you want - if your not doing the "isolation" work then your def not becoming as strong and big as you can.

If you want big strong arms you train arms.

If you want a big back you train back.

Compound movements are the base of all training programs but if you want to be come as big and strong as possible do everything you can to get results.

There is no cutoff point.

spot on

I feel like my training covers all bases. Even though abs and calves, etc get worked with compound exercises, you really need to target them to get them to grow. The only thing I don't directly train is glutes. I feel my leg days work them enough, particularly squats.

I feel like my training covers all bases. Even though abs and calves, etc get worked with compound exercises, you really need to target them to get them to grow. The only thing I don't directly train is glutes. I feel my leg days work them enough, particularly squats.

TBH I dont think anyone trains glutes

Would never bother with isolated calf, wrist, forearm or abs work.

Shrugs and triceps kickbacks are right out.

TBH I dont think anyone trains glutes

Yeah, true. However I have seen glute training become popular in the last year or so. A lot more barbell hip raises and that move where they get on all fours and kick a leg back.

Last edited:
As for the blokes though, they're most likely off to the mardigras in some cut down denim shorts, so need dem buns looking firm.

I need to train glutes, for some reason my arse won't grow. I'm sick of having a small arse lol. I train them once in a while in my home because its that exercise that looks like a sex move. The one where your on your back, knees bent and you thrust at the hips to get the arse in the air if that makes sense.