• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Isolation exercises - where's your cutoff point?

I found isolation movements would bring out more definition in myself.
But I have been back to the basics the last 2 months as trying to put on some kg's...so at the moment is mainly doing the main lifts. I was doing mainly 3 to 4 sets but now since I am at home training I am doing up to 6 sets on the lifts. It is something I have never done before but am starting to notice some good gains. I love training at home now!

Interested to know how calves get worked without calf raises?
I don't give a shit squats do not work calves if you don't raise the heals.

Last edited:
Interested to kniw hiw calves get worked without calf raises?

Box jumps? Skip rope? Burpees? I do these for conditioning and I get dem burns on the calves after them. No calve raises ever. But as they say YMMV. One of my mates can't get his calves to grow and he does calf raises chronically.

Have never trained calfs in my life, I might have done a total of 2 months of calf raises in over 25 years of training, and calfs seem just fine.

IMO most isolation stuff is a waste of time, I have cut almost all isolation work out and it has not made one ounce of difference to my physique, as a matter of fact I think it has improved, as I can concentrate on the big lifts, but it has freed up a lot of time to do other stuff apart from spending time in the gym.

Calfs that have never been trained:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill sprints

but yeah, everyone would benefit from direct calve work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have never trained calfs in my life, I might have done a total of 2 months of calf raises in over 25 years of training, and calfs seem just fine.

IMO most isolation stuff is a waste of time, I have cut almost all isolation work out and it has not made one ounce of difference to my physique, as a matter of fact I think it has improved, as I can concentrate on the big lifts, but it has freed up a lot of time to do other stuff apart from spending time in the gym.

Calfs that have never been trained:

you could do with some calve work

Yeah that's one isolation exercise that I do miss...seated or standing calf press.
But just in the process of making some contraption that I will fit to my squat rack and will allow me to do standing calf presses using the barbell that slides along a Teflon/HDPE rail.

Yeah that's one isolation exercise that I do miss...seated or standing calf press.
But just in the process of making some contraption that I will fit to my squat rack and will allow me to do standing calf presses using the barbell that slides along a Teflon/HDPE rail.
Do one legged raises. This allows you to balance / brace yourself with other hand.

Do one legged raises. This allows you to balance / brace yourself with other hand.

Yeah good idea, will give that a go. I was doing these after doing weighted seated or standing presses. My Fav was the seated calf press...use to really bomb my calves. But will give these a go. I suppose I could use a dumbbell etc for resistance.
Cheers

Yeah good idea, will give that a go. I was doing these after doing weighted seated or standing presses. My Fav was the seated calf press...use to really bomb my calves. But will give these a go. I suppose I could use a dumbbell etc for resistance.
Cheers

1 leg DB weighted calf raises are a good exercise!

Sissy squats - hold a plate/DB for extra. There's nothing 'sissy' about them.

OK lets see what you have!! Mine measure 18" relaxed, and lean with definition as above.
A year or so ago.

je4ubuze.jpg

I dont do any iso's.
But I should probabaly do calves haha. As no matter what, they basically havnt increased in size like everything else with my millions of compounds.

Ill start doing them. Measuring every month or so.

What is the best way to train claves that you guys have experienced?

The times I do use iso's, like for arms, I usually use.2 sessions per week of basically just curls. Works a treat. One session is heavy bb curl up to a max set of 3 or 4, then a few back off sets and the other session is reps with both bb and db. All done strict.