• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jetts Gym vs Home Gym

I prefer the home gym, although to be honest, iit wasn't the lack of equipment (my Jetts had a rack and decent weights) it was the atmosphere. i couldn't stand going in and being the only one besides the cardio bunnies. It's a matter of personal preference.

From what I have seen on the Sunshine Coast, Jetts has updated its equipment and now there is very little if anything separating the major 24 hour gym chains. If anything the greatest selling points from now on will be which chain has access to the most locations. That probably gives Anytime and Snap the heads up if you want to travel overseas, while Jetts is pretty well covered through Australasia and Plus are opening only in Australia.

Been tossing up whether to stick to jetts or go to snap (the anytime near the new place is tiny so rules that out).
I've been in to the 3 around me before but have started sussing them out again, so far been in 2 of them. One is small but has a rack and the usual fare.

The other I went in to today is decent size, has 2 of most things smith, cables, row/pulldown, unilateral bench etc as well as a rack, free weight leg press and a big ass "human trainer" with suspension gear, bands etc. First time I've seen one in a jetts

Will go to the third over the weekend but it seems they're getting better gear and going away from the 'machine only' attitude.

Depends on price, hidden fees, and contracts if any. Anytime fitness loves to contract you in (pay much more if not), I'm moving to Plus because its cheaper and it has no contracts, and no fees even if I want to freeze it for 3 months at a time. Noice.

But honestly, I prefer to be in an environment where everyone is stronger/more hardworking than me and these gyms don't cut it so I'm thinking eventually I will go to PTC or something like that to train.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely get the feeling of them being weakling gyms. I'm no big/strong kunce but pretty much always lifting more than anyone else I see in there.
Would like to go to PTC, just too far away now. I hate driving for as long as I'm going to train

I'll definitely be setting mine back up when I get some room but for now.... :(
I'm loving my home gym right now!
Its only basic but I can do all the exercises that I need to do. Since training at home I have been able to lift more weight as I have my rack set up with good spotter arms and rails so I can go to failure now. I always trained on my own and would never lift to failure as I would look like a douche if I was at a normal gym.
I've put on 3 kg too. another 5kg to go!

The 24 hour market is really beginning to evolve, I think once you start putting free weights, squats racks, hack squats etc in gyms you take the weakling element out of things, which Jetts clearly is doing. Goodlife and some of the other big gyms are expanding again, which could be interesting. P45 Functional look like they will cater to the group fitness market, they look well organized, cheap to set up and it looks like a pretty efficient way to train. I still think there are a few more things which are likely to happen with more gym openings. I would even predict that one of the chains may eventually sometime in the future offload some of their franchises.

I'm pretty sure I'd get kicked out of a commercial gym due to grunting, snorting and yelling

Ha yeah i got some prety funny looks getting angry in the half rack in the Anytime Fitness in Cooroy a few years back. If i had of trained there more than a month i might of been asked to be a bit quieter

Got my own set of bar bells and bumper plates to train on my days off (active recovery). Love lifting outdoors, it makes me feel very primitive and carnal, with no one to raise an eyebrow if I drop it even from head height or miss a rep.

Exercising at home can be an effective and time saving, if you have equipments at home so its best for you to do workout at home as it saves your time, you don’t have to wait around for equipments, you can workout whenever you want, you save on gas, car maintenance, and mare.
So it's best for you to workout at home