• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lab testing of protein powder is now FREE!

I agree it's fair, but I also want all the results to be released.

I agree with what you're saying Riddles, it'd be great to see the data. But BN won't want to release the data and open themselves up to potential legal issues, I imagine that's why we won't see them making results public.

They are paying for it, only seems fair they get a copy of what they are paying for.

The NMI should release the data to the public not bulk nutrients, if bulk nutrients release the data they can be up for lawsuits against them for publicly degrading/defaming another product or brand. However if the NMI release the results that's a different story.

But:
At the same time say you personally send in XYZ brand to be tested by the NMI and it comes back say 30% under the label claims, well that said brand could then say "you did something to the protein" and they can send off their own batch to the NMI for testing and it will come back and meet label claims maybe even +/- 1% (so it is within range).

The whole point of this is proving the truth however the truth is every single brand you guys get tested that company can still claim you personally altered the sample. (We all know you didn't alter it) but that's what they can say.

Hopefully instead of a naming and shaming the dodgy ones get scared and shut up shop or they pull their production into line and meet label claims.

What bulk nutrients is doing is great for the protein industry they are not the enemy in this however one could view this also as massively increasing their sales from this, since now they hold a larger amount of consumer trust.

I view it from this point of view.
Bulk nutrients have their operational costs they view these costs and break it down to a perspective of:

We need to sell the average tub of protein for $xxx to keep the lights turned on, pay the staff and pay the bills. Then when joe blow protein comes along and says hey everyone we are 30-50% cheaper than other companies (being sure not to mention bulk nutrients name when they make that claim).

Bulk nutrients then think wait a minute how the fuck can they afford to sell it at that price and then right here in all the latest tests is your answer. They cannot sell the same product or percentage of protein, pay their bills, staff etc unless someone is sleeping within someone in fonterra and getting some amazing deal that massive companies like Bulk Nutrients are not getting per kg.

So as to your question of results:

Bulk Nutrients cannot make the results public since that will be defamation of another brand and bring about law suits, bulk nutrients will have NMI data supporting them that xyz brand is 0-30% less than label claim. However xyz brand will also have NMI data stating that their protein meets label claims.
Round and round we go.

The additional problem to this:
Bulk nutrients and sister/attached company bioflex have always been about selling as price effective as possible direct to the consumer....the problem with this is there isn't much support for either brand in supplement retail outlets. Since most other supplement companies for instance will either not sell direct to the public or they will sell a tub for $250 to the consumer forcing the consumer to buy from the retail outlets for $130, if the retail store price is no different or slightly different from bioflex there is little margin and consumers are also left with many choices post purchase e.g. (next time should i buy direct from bioflex) or (next time should i buy from bulk nutrients even cheaper than bioflex) stores wont want to stock it for this very reason. A wholesaler cannot sell at the same price or cheaper than retail stores, cause the retailers just wont want to stock it.

You have consumer demand and you also have retail store profit margins, if there is little to no margin in comparison to other protein brands it wont be stocked. eg 1 guy walks in "hey mate i need protein" you sell him bioflex with a $10 profit on it and may also lose future purchases to bulk nutrients or bioflex online stores or a $20 profit margin with a different brand that can only be obtained from retail outlets (or even if the margins are the same you may not retain the customer)....The store owners have bills to pay and families to feed too. So this is why not many stores stock bioflex and the whole time a very small number of stores that are selling bioflex they are getting rapped with the bulk nutrient online prices.

The consumer wins if they are aware they can buy it from bulk nutrients online but all stores lose so they will always always always sell an alternative brand. (i will have the figures wrong on profit margins that was only an example)

within 200km of Syndey CBD there is 10 retail stores selling biofelx
within 200km of Melbourne CBD there is 8 retail stores selling biofelx

If you have been to either City or live within 200km of either city you will know there is a shit load of supplement stores and gym stores and if they sell bioflex they risk losing the consumer to bioflex online or even cheaper bulk nutrients online which are both the same company.

Great for consumers, bad for stores and the stores are the majority in this game telling consumers what to take. As for my allegiance i couldn't give a toss we sell shit all protein per year, it costs a fortune to ship it and there has been times when we have lost money on orders because of shipping.

If i was a consumer....well actually i am a consumer since i drink the stuff too i would buy bulk nutrients based on price, but since we get wholesale protein i use international protein and i like the way it tastes, mixes, doesn't bloat etc, i also feel it's retail price although might be high to some of you is justified, good aussie company supporting not only itself but also small business's. I do not feel bioflex/bulk nutrients support small business.

However if you want cheap high quality protein buy from them.
It's sad to say it but we even as a retail outlet cannot match what prices they sell at, however we do trust in what we sell to be of high quality.

Maybe one day bulk nutrients/bioflex will gain a lot more support if they supported local business's and stopped selling direct to the public. Something you may not want to hear as a consumer but be it the truth.

What will happen from here.....well the internet is small compared to local supplement shops so nothing will change some people will think i need protein and drive 5min around the corner and pick up a tub, some will think i need to save $5 im going to order from bulk nutrients.

Round and round we go......flame away, love you all :)

The test results won't be made publicly available to everyone (as in published in a public domain), however if anyone wants to see them, then yes, we will be more than happy to share them. Ultimately, I think the public would all agree the information should be shared.

We will do this with some caution and no guarantee though, and will obviously edit the name of the person who organised the testing - for their privacy.
The problem for any consumer who looks at this information is that it will really only be a guide, as they (like us) won't have organised the testing themselves.

If very clear trends are seen then we may decide to do our own investigation, following the information which has been provided by customers tests.
More importantly, if we see the problems seem to be very significant across the board then we would be using this information generally to ensure the legislators take action.

In short, yes, anyone is welcome to request test results from us. You won't know who has performed the tests though, and there will be absolutely no guarantee of how valid they are (apart from the fact an individual has signed a stat dec stating the product hasn't been tampered with).

and while some companies have gone from good to bad (thankfully), we were reminded just last week (from two different companies products), that there is still some pretty under dosed product on the market. It did all look a bit familiar, but we’ll leave that discussion for another day…….Bulk Nutrients.

See wtf does that mean?

Congrats for exposing these (those) fuckers, but can we have some
transparency please?

Obviously by offering people a free $275 lab test you're trying to expose these companies to get more business for yourselves (and good on yas for doing so), but where will it end?

See wtf does that mean?

transparency please?

Obviously by offering people a free $275 lab test you're trying to expose these companies to get more business for yourselves (and good on yas for doing so), but where will it end?

these threads should be combined have a read of this post i wrote the other week in the same thread: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-suppl...ing-protein-powder-now-free-3.html#post499540

@admin @shrek combine threads please

See wtf does that mean?

transparency please?

We will explain to you that we are not asking for you to release the information you find in your lab results, we are fine if you decide to keep the results private to yourself.

At the same time, the purpose of this is to also reveal the "good."
Just as much as you think we are trying to "expose these companies to get more business for yourselves" how about all those honest businesses that because of this testing, will increase their sales because people are also posting up good results for other companies?

Because of this service we now provide, there will no doubt be more alternatives to shop with besides us, as people post up the good also.

The idea here is that both good and bad are revealed so that we can sift through the industry. To suggest that we are doing this solely for increased sales would mean that we are expecting every lab test done to be a fail for every company.

Make no mistake, this is going to bring out other good companies to the top and we are expecting a strong possibility of current customers of ours making orders from these other companies revealed to be good simply because they are wanting a change. This is fine. Competition is welcomed if you are playing fair!

Cheers.

Last edited:
That's the thing I don't think you are playing fair for all protein suppliers. Don't try and wash this into helping everyone because you are not.

Almost all of the protein industry sell their protein through retail outlets as such there needs to be a margin for:
1 the manufacturer
2 the retail outlet

Since you sell protein at wholesale prices direct to the consumer this "service" of testing protein and finding out who is good and who is bad is simply increasing your sales....smart move on your part for your business....just not helping anyone else who sells protein.

Nobody in the whole supplement retail industry really supports you because nobody can "retail" protein to consumers at wholesale prices. You have said this will increase other company sales and i quote:
Bulk Nutrients said:
"how about all those honest businesses that because of this testing, will increase their sales because people are also posting up good results for other companies?"
Your not going to increase anyone's sales but your own.

You do an amazing service to the consumer and hats off to you, if I had to buy protein at retail prices I too would buy from you....your the cheapest out there of the companies that sell high quality protein. Yet you hurt small business sales at the same time and expect people to believe this will help the protein industry :confused:.....you cant have all the cake and not expect people to not want their slice either.

I can see clearly what you are doing here and the drive it will create for anyone who reads these threads.

The fact that you wont do contract manufacturing for anyone shows how greedy you are and the fact that you cut your nose off despite your face also shows how you don't care about anyone but yourselves to say this is good for the good companies is bullshit cause your product is sold at a wholesale price direct to the consumer and their product isn't.

How would you like it for instance if Fonterra said hey lets release our own brand of protein direct to the stores and make the prices 20-50% below bulk nutrients/bioflex prices....you'd shit your pants cause you know if they wanted to they could do it, but instead they create jobs and support the industries you do not continue this flow on you only support yourselves. Hell even Dairy Farmers Aust or A2 etc could start doing it tomorrow and put you out on the street but they don't.

Almost every other protein supplier supports small business, creates jobs and keeps the retail shops open.

Don't get me wrong pulling the dickhead cowboys out of this industry is much better for everybody but just remember to not go around saying you are helping the industry because the main beneficiary of all of this is you there is no other protein company out there high fiveing each other right now saying wow our sales increased cause bulknutrients/bioflex started this testing as they are retailing supporting the network.

Summary:
Start supporting small business's and they will start supporting you.
Don't claim to help other business's when you are not helping them at all.

The fact that you wont do contract manufacturing for anyone shows how greedy you are and the fact that you cut your nose off despite your face also shows how you don't care about anyone but yourselves to say this is good for the good companies is bullshit cause your product is sold at a wholesale price direct to the consumer and their product isn't.

I remember a quote from the microsoft anti competive battle , the quote was , would you ask coca cola to sell a bottle of pepsi with each 6pack sold ?

so they wont do any contracting for any other company , why is that a problem?

why don't you ask ford or holden why they make the other car in the same factory?

the world of business makes me laugh" start a business make some money but hey make sure you don't make too much and outsell the competition"

Sure this program does work in bulk nutrients favour , but at the same time it helps out the others , why didn't any of the other protien companies do such a thing , they always have the marketing line of 99.9% pure not like our competitors (just a fictional figure that i threw in), lets face it bulk nutrients helped out consumers by exposing the dirty tricks that some protein suppliers have done, making the market a bit more fairer and helping the consumer at getting what they paid for

BN haven't said "to get free lab testing you need to buy our products" all they have said is that we are offering free lab testing

Almost all of the protein industry sell their protein through retail outlets as such there needs to be a margin for:
1 the manufacturer
2 the retail outlet
just because everyone is doing it, does not mean the BN have to do the same, in this world where shopping is only a finger tip away no longer does a person need to travel to buy what they want, with more and more retailers closing up bricks and mortar shops and heading to online to cut down on overheads

Nobody in the whole supplement retail industry really supports you because nobody can "retail" protein to consumers at wholesale prices. You have said this will increase other company sales and i quote:
so they don't support as they suffering the tall poppy syndrome, in business sometimes you need to sink or swim, if you can't afford to compete and sell at the same prices you need to find other avenues as to why a customer should shop with you

eg: i an into cycling , i can buy all my cycling gear offline and save a bucketload, but i still shop at my local bike shop for the reason being that they greet me by name, they will sell me what i want and not try to sell me something dearer , and for good guidance, I have shopped at the same LBS for years, first time i brought a semi decent bike i went in with 2k and told them i want a bike for 2k, he asked my riding experience and style and what i was going to use it for, with that he said you don't need to buy a 2grand bike this $700 one will suit you just fine, that guy just missed on an extra $1300, but brought a long time customer who over the years has spent way more then that

moral of the story, as i said above, if you can't compete on price you need to find other avenues to attract customers, maybe stop big name endorsements that cost a bucketload

i think you missed the point bulknutrients/bioflex claimed this helps other protein manufacturers increase their sales it wont.
Basically dont say this is great for everyone when it's only great for you.

I think what they have done and grown into as a business is great, i think they have a great business model....just dont claim to do something like helping other companies when you are not.

i think you missed the point bulknutrients/bioflex claimed this helps other protein manufacturers increase their sales it wont.
Basically dont say this is great for everyone when it's only great for you.

I think what they have done and grown into as a business is great, i think they have a great business model....just dont claim to do something like helping other companies when you are not.

sure they are , they have exposed the truth that some companies sell dodgy products , the customer says well stuff that i am no longer buying off company n and will now buy off company m, o,p

now the customer reads hang on bulk nutrients is doing lab testing , lets see if company m,o,p is really selling great gear

so instead of their being 6 companies with 15% market share each , there is now 5 companies with 20% market share each

sure they are , they have exposed the truth that some companies sell dodgy products , the customer says well stuff that i am no longer buying off company n and will now buy off company m, o,p

now the customer reads hang on bulk nutrients is doing lab testing , lets see if company m,o,p is really selling great gear

Either im not good at explaining what im saying/feeling or you are reading it wrongly.

Im happy they have exposed the cowboys i even said i would buy from them if i was paying retail prices.

I just don't like the fact when someone says this is good for other quality companies when it is solely for BN. We ALL on this forum even had a big kick up of a stink only a few months back when supplement csi came along and was thought to not be impartial because of it's "alleged" bulk nutrients backings.

What they have done is great removed the dickheads and scarred people straight to pull their products into line. However don't go around saying this is for the "whole protein manufacturing industry" when it is only for BN. Who only support themselves and not any other persons, or business or small business.

Either im not good at explaining what im saying/feeling or you are reading it wrongly.

Im happy they have exposed the cowboys i even said i would buy from them if i was paying retail prices.

I just don't like the fact when someone says this is good for other quality companies when it is solely for BN. We ALL on this forum even had a big kick up of a stink only a few months back when supplement csi came along and was thought to not be impartial because of it's "alleged" bulk nutrients backings.

What they have done is great removed the dickheads and scarred people straight to pull their products into line. However don't go around saying this is for the "whole protein manufacturing industry" when it is only for BN. Who only support themselves and not any other persons, or business or small business.

No your the one not understanding it.

Getting rid of the rogue companies selling protein even cheaper as they are not actually selling protein gives every genuine company a larger market share. Since NB has been exposed I (and many others) no longer buy from NB, we now buy from other companies (Universal Nutrition for me), as such these companies should be selling more protein. You still have the same amount of people buying protein from less companies, there for each company now sells more protein.

Pretty simple, and best of all consumers are no longer paying $29 per kilo for flavored milk powder :)

And really many people are still happy to pay top $$$$ for glossy labels.

No your the one not understanding it.

Getting rid of the rogue companies selling protein even cheaper as they are not actually selling protein gives every genuine company a larger market share. Since NB has been exposed I (and many others) no longer buy from NB, we now buy from other companies (Universal Nutrition for me), as such these companies should be selling more protein. You still have the same amount of people buying protein from less companies, there for each company now sells more protein.

Pretty simple, and best of all consumers are no longer paying $29 per kilo for flavored milk powder :)

And really many people are still happy to pay top $$$$ for glossy labels.

ok gotcha.
statistically speaking though if you gathered all consumers aware of these tests who previously used the brands that failed the testing some like you will switch to other brands like universal but majority will switch to BN.
The percentage will swing in favor of BN not even close to an even split.

eg 5000 customers wont split equally 4 ways between 4 major brands it will split very much in favor of BN.

Anyway whatever