• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Large Alternating Sets

W

Wardrop

I've just found out the term for what I'm describing is a circuit, rather than a large alternating set which is the best I could describe it. The post has been edited but unfortunately I can't edit the title.

Hi Guys,

I've tried googling this, but it's quite difficult to hit the right search terms on this one. Probably because I didn't know until now these are called circuits.

At the moment I weight train every 2 or 3 days. I've been doing this reasonably consistently for about 10 months, though I've dropped back to once a week a couple of times for about a month or two at a time.

Since I started weight training, I've always picked 5 exercises, combined them into a circuit, and repeated for circuit for 3 sets. For each exercise, I always do it until failure, and except for of course body weight exercises like pull-ups and crunches, I keep the reps between 6 and 12, so fairly intense.

I'm just wondering whether I should switch from 3 sets of these large circuits, to 3 alternating sets instead.

So to clarify, at the moment I might start with a set of crunches, set of dumbbell presses, set of pull-ups, set of curls, and a set of flies. I'll then rinse and repeat 3 times. I'm wondering whether I should maybe group the similar exercises into pairs instead, e.g. a set dumbell presses and flies, repeat 3 times, before moving onto pull-ups and curls, repeating 3 times, then finishing up with 3 sets of crunches in a row.

What are the differences between the two approaches? I've just assumed I should do whatever allows me to perform for longer, but now I'm thinking that may not be the best approach given my main motivation to weight train is for appearance (mass and shape).

Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Do whatever you feel comfortable with. There's no right or wrong.. Do both on alternative days.

Just enjoy it.

[MENTION=17157]Wardrop[/MENTION];

to help you with understanding the concept of circuit training, google; "metabolic conditioning" and " Matt Brzycki "

To start you off:

A 3×3 is a high intensity strength training workout consisting of three circuits or rounds of three compound (multi-joint) exercises performed non-stop to emphasize cardiovascular and metabolic conditioning. Each of the three exercises targets different muscle groups, usually starting with the hips and thighs, followed by upper body pushing and pulling movements, to work all of the major muscle groups and allow for little or no rest between exercises.
A higher number of repetitions is usually performed for the first circuit, with the repetitions dropping for the second and third circuits. A typical repetition scheme for a 3×3 routine is 20, 15 and 10 for the hip and thigh exercise, and 12, 10, and 8 for the upper body pushing and pulling exercises when performed at typical repetition speeds. For example:
  • Deadlifts 1×20
  • Dips 1×12
  • Chin-ups 1×12
  • Deadlifts 1×15
  • Dips 1×10
  • Chin-ups 1×10
  • Deadlifts 1×10
  • Dips 1×8
  • Chin-ups 1×8
While the same conditioning effect could be achieved performing one set of nine different exercises addressing the same muscle groups, the advantage of a 3×3 is that it allows shorter rest periods since the bars or machines only need to be set up once. In most gyms it can be difficult to move quickly between different exercises during peak hours. Most 3×3 routines can be performed with minimal equipment in a single spot, without waiting for equipment or people getting in your way even if the gym is packed. The above routine is unlikely to be interrupted if you perform your deadlifts directly in front of the chin/dip station. A 3×3 consisting of front squats, standing presses and rows can be performed with a single barbell without switching weight and with no rest at all between exercises, although the reps for front squats may need to be much higher depending on how much weight you can press and row.
The following are just a few variations of the 3×3. Many more are possible depending on your capabilities and the available equipment.
  • Barbell or trap bar deadlift
  • Standing Press
  • Chin-ups
  1. Squat
  2. Chin Up
  3. Push Up
  • Squat
  • Dip
  • Row
  • Bodyweight squats or alternating one-legged bodyweight squats
  • Handstand, incline or pike push-ups or dips
  • Chin-ups or front lever pull-ups
  • Leg press machine
  • Shoulder or chest press machine
  • Pull-down or rowing machine
Some people may want to follow these with calf, grip or neck work, but I would not recommend performing any additional exercises for larger muscle groups. In fact, if you are capable of any additional multi-joint exercises afterwards you probably didn’t push yourself hard enough.
If performed regularly with a high level of effort and little or no rest between exercises these routines will produce a tremendous level of general cardiovascular/metabolic conditioning while also building a good degree of strength.