• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Left Knee Pain

robeel

hey guys, i started doing body squats (no weights) a few weeks ago at home, last week i started getting pain in my left knee. it's the lower left side of the left knee & the lower middle a little too. it isn't real bad but still get some pain when bending knee, getting up & walking. feels like it's bruised when touching the outside joint.

i went to the gym for the 1st time yesterday & did some barbell squats with lowish weight. i didn't get any pain while doing the squats but felt it after a little.

i'm guessing this is from bad form, is this normal & will the pain get better?
don't want to stop doing squats now but will if i have to. BTW i've never had knee problems in the past but my weight could be adding to the problem. i'm 175cm, was 100kg about 2weeks ago now around 95kg.

any help is appreciated.
thanks,
rob

If you have just started its common to get little niggling pain in random places. Just give it some time first and it will probably fix it self.

thanks bazza will continue & see how it goes.

fark your right knee, only interested in the left. i don't train the right side of my body.

robeel, it sounds like bruising of tissue and/or ligaments with the commencement of weight baring on and around your patella?

This most definitely has to do with your form during the squat, particularly if it's come on suddenly with these exercises and hasn't been a recurring pain for months or years on end?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Knee muscle, cartilage, or joint injury on or around the patella, are all effects of the problem with your form during the exercise cycle (more specifically, squats)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A common habit that pressures and eventually injures knees is letting your body weight sag inward on your knees and the arches of your feet. The result is an increased inward angle of your leg at the knee. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Letting your weight fall inward on your knee joint, instead of holding your weight up on your leg muscles strains, this wears the cartilage on the side of the knee, and stresses the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stretched ligaments don't hold your bones in line, allowing them to rub and grind at unhealthy angles. Letting knees sway inward also interferes with normal thigh muscle use and how your kneecap moves when you walk. When you let your weight slump on your knee joints instead of using your thigh muscles, the kneecap can start to move slightly sideways instead of up and down each time you move your knee to walk. This rubs the cartilage on the inside of your kneecap. The friction can eventually break down and wear away the cartilage. This is called degenerative change. [/FONT]

I'm not a bodybuilder - but I AM a Remedial Massage Therapist and MANY of my clients have exactly the same issue you're having. It's purely form Robeel, correct it swiftly to avoid any ongoing niggling issues that could effect your pain/movement on a longer term basis.

Although I'd love your business - I'd prefer you not to be in agony ;)

When you squat - you should feel the pull or burn through your leg muscles, particularly thighs - which should also radiate to your glutes (bum) and lower back - your core should also feel the pull/burn during a properly done squat.
Your muscles should bare your weight (legs, lower back, core, glutes) NOT your knees.

Back should be straight, arse out, go deep and do it properly!

Hope that helps!

Jo x

thanks a lot bella that's a lot of info.

i was getting pain in the knee last night when trying to sleep, like a aching pain.

today i went to the gym for the 2nd time, this time i started getting pain after the first set. i finished the rest of my sets & done standing calf raises, the pain seemed to get worse then it's been. the top of the shin(just below the outside knee? joint) felt a little sore as well when i got home.

i will have to try find someone to show me proper form. btw i do feel it mostly in my thighs & a lot in my stomach.

will it help if i use the smith machine for a while? or do squats with just the bar?

thanks

Some of our BB's may be able to help you out with form, or look on youtube for squat form perhaps?

But it definitely sounds like your stance is the issue to me Robeel. Are your knees angling inwards when you perform your squats? They should be in perfectly straight alignment with your shoulders, front on, no lean to either side (inwards or outwards)

Give your knee a massage tonight, on and around the area, or ask your partner to. When a ligament is worn or wearing or pulled, it allows the patella to grind against itself with movement, which may be what's causing your pain.

Can you ask someone at the gym to critique your form? Might be helpful also?

This pain though is an indication that you performed a squat or a set of squats and the weight baring was predominantly enforced by your knees (or the one particular knee) given that it's only one side, it's more than likely your tilting the weight inwards on that particular knee when you're performing the squat.

Get the form right, check youtube and ask for form assistance. Better to get it now and know what you're doing is right, than continue on in pain, or cause any ongoing further injury to yourself?

I can say, when I perform a squat, I feel the pull and burn through my thighs, in my glutes and tightening of my core. No weight baring at all, is done through the knees.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance with your questions on specific equipment, hopefully one of the boys on the boards can help you out there?

Good luck Robeel and don't be afraid to ask for form assistance at the gym! Most important, for your body and mind that this pain is alleviated quickly.

Jo x

If you are having knee probs, definitely make sure your knees aren't caving in. Make sure your knees track directly over your feet throughout the movement. As was recommended on another thread, think about forcing your knees out/apart at all times.

I like to have my feet angled outwards because it feels more natural and puts less stress on my knees. Try experimenting a little and see what suits you.

Another potential cause of knee soreness is having your knees extend too far forwards. Make sure that you sit back and down into the squat, like you are about to sit in a chair. Your knees shouldn't extend much past your toes at any time during the squat.

Also, make sure that you keep your weight on your heels and midfoot and not on your toes. I find that with bodyweight squats I have to focus a lot more on sitting back and down because there is no weight on my back pulling me back and down. If you are having trouble keeping your weight from going forwards, try raising your toes as you squat until you get the hang of keeping your weight back.

What a coincidence, but I am becoming aware of an exact same issue with my left knee. When I massage it, I feel its a bit "creaky" for want of a better word (no such effect on the right knee) and if I press on the patella, there is a slight pain. I think the knee cap is not tracking correctly as I had this same problem back when I used to run long distance.

Sometimes it clicks too but I have read on here its a non issue.

So, what's the best thing to do? Get some knee wraps to try and encourage the knee cap to track correctly? See a physio/doc? (probably will tell me to stop doing squats or some shit). It's not a huge problem but I am sorta pre-empting it before it becomes one.

Ps. Don't know if its related but my calves are tight as. When I rumble roll it, the pain is almost unbearable!

If you are having knee probs, definitely make sure your knees aren't caving in. Make sure your knees track directly over your feet throughout the movement. As was recommended on another thread, think about forcing your knees out/apart at all times.

I like to have my feet angled outwards because it feels more natural and puts less stress on my knees. Try experimenting a little and see what suits you.

Another potential cause of knee soreness is having your knees extend too far forwards. Make sure that you sit back and down into the squat, like you are about to sit in a chair. Your knees shouldn't extend much past your toes at any time during the squat.

Also, make sure that you keep your weight on your heels and midfoot and not on your toes. I find that with bodyweight squats I have to focus a lot more on sitting back and down because there is no weight on my back pulling me back and down. If you are having trouble keeping your weight from going forwards, try raising your toes as you squat until you get the hang of keeping your weight back.

Pretty much what he said.

Pretty much what he said.

I am pretty conscientious about my squat form so I don't think its got to do with that. I spread my knees out as far as they go throughout whole ROM. I check my knees don't go past my toes by placing a big ass foam roller upright where my toes are and it hasn't been pushed over in ages.

I suspect its got to do with my tight calves so I'll work on foam rolling and stretching them (hurts mad like hell) then see if that helps.

If not it could just be wear and tear, must be starting to get old haha.

Hi Bella,

Wow.

Today I posted this on my training log:

"First game back at touch last night and I have hurt my knee / calf / leg. Not sure what happened but got big twinge in left knee / calf (not hugely painful) but fully couldn't support my weight. Very strange.

Went away after a but, I couldn't keep playing but back this morning esp when I go down stairs.

No expert but it kind of feels like a nerve issue. Hopefully clears up next few days, what a shit!!!!!"

Checked the Internet as all good home doctors do and my symptoms seem to be a posterior crucially ligament strain / tear.

I've just started weight training properly (past few months) and been trying to increase weight on squats. I reckon when I do them my knees fall inwards, in fact at the heavier weight I've been doing I'm almost positive that's been happening. I wonder if this could have lead to the knee having issues and caused the problem at touch???

Very interesting post thanks Bella.

Nothing worse than bloody injuries!! Hate squatting until I can't do it!!

Going to physio tomorrow and will report back.

Physio thinks issue is quads too strong for hammys, suggested no squatting for a few weeks / months...

I'm not so sure but obviously no doctor, got MRI referral so will go get that done on Saturday.

I'm almost positive after reading this post that a main issue was to do with squat form. Will monitor when I next get to squat.

Anyway workout will now stay as is, just no squats and we will see how SLDL goes....

I will guarantee your quads are not too strong but your hams may be weak. Don't stop squatting just increase your posterior chain work.

Bazza maybe she was just "glass half full" - quads too strong sounds nicer than "Hammys too weak"!

I'll take your comment on board though, cheers.

This is pretty common.. particularly if you work in a desk job. You have overly tight hamstrings, a weak butt and this causes strain in your lower back and I believe would impact the knees.

I wouldn't necessarily consider dropping squats, but I would consider trying to stretch out your hammies as much as possible.

Tight hamstrings are often the cause for many leg and lower back issues. If you aren't very active and/or do a lot of sitting then you most likely will have very poor hamstring flexibility.

Yeah very poor, I'd agree I've been stretching more.

Stupidly I didn't warm up properly before touch when I hurt myself.

Should get MRI results tomorrow - the techie operating said PCL and ACL looked good. Lots of fluid on knee though, so I'm not imagining the injury. Very very happy the ligaments look good though.

Ok: is there a doctor in the house???????

"There is joint effusion and baker's cyst which extends an unexpected distance inferiorly and may reflect rupture of this Baker's cyst"

Everything else seems in good shape.

So after much Googling it would appear that I had a Baker's cyst that popped during touch which has caused the pain and swelling etc. My calf is a little bit swollen and a bit painful which sounds about right.

I see the physio Wednesday so she might be able to translate the medical jargon, but if anyone here is an Orthopod etc please let me know!

Ok: is there a doctor in the house???????

"There is joint effusion and baker's cyst which extends an unexpected distance inferiorly and may reflect rupture of this Baker's cyst"

Everything else seems in good shape.

So after much Googling it would appear that I had a Baker's cyst that popped during touch which has caused the pain and swelling etc. My calf is a little bit swollen and a bit painful which sounds about right.

I see the physio Wednesday so she might be able to translate the medical jargon, but if anyone here is an Orthopod etc please let me know!

(Not a doctor) -

Physio wont be able to do much for a bakers cyst, its just inflammation from whatever aggravated the joint in the first place. If there's nothing structurally wrong with the knee you should go to a sports doc and get anti inflams.