• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg exercise and Cardio

H

Hubbo

What are some good cardio exercises that can be done after leg training?

I thought it would be a good idea to avoid most cardio after doing leg training - immediately after and the next day to give time for the legs to recover. I mainly doing jogging or cycling for cardio exercise. After a lot of people recommend to rest the muscles to give time to repair and grow, this eliminates my cardio.

Do people still do cardio after leg training? Am I right in giving my legs complete rest?
Also, can anybody suggest any other cardio exercises that aren't too leg intensive? I have been thinking of swimming just using upper body or taking the kayak out (but always problem travelling somewhere to find water).

Thx Hulk, didn't think of the punching bag... I'll have to put it back up again.

I was thinking of the following day also, hopefully if worked them well enough they should be nice and sore. So I was thinking of resting (avoid leg intensive cardio) the day after leg session.

Get more motion in the arms, less power in the legs. Works wonders when you have legs of jelly after a leg session.

Cross trainer has no impact, and you can use your arms to push most of the weight.

proper cardio shouldn't be done after a workout.

An ideal workout is 45mins and no longer than 1 hr. Any longer than this and the body starts releasing cortisol.

Cortisol promotes the breakdown of proteins and raises the free amino acids in the serum, by inhibiting the takeup of protein. Not something you want after you have just done a workout to break down your muscles. You want your body to be taking up protein.

So I would recommend you change your routine to have cardio on its own day.

This is what I do:

Monday - Shoulders / traps and triceps
Tuesday - cardio and abs
Wednesday - Chest and back
Thursday - biceps and legs
Friday - day off
Saturday -Cardio
Sunday - day off or cardio depending on goals

this split allows you to work each part hard and then gives it enough recovery period. Cardio is done on alternate days and away from legs, so they still get a chance to recover.

hope this helps.

Lift like a freak!

Last edited:
proper cardio shouldn't be done after a workout.

I agree. I dont do cardio at all on leg day because i need all the energy I can get and i can barely walk afterwards. On other days, split it up if you can, cardio in the morning, gym in the avo. Ideally, you should take protein before cardio also, just like you'd do for your weights.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your feedback!!!

I try to do the cardio in the morning before working my legs with weights latter in the day. So I generally do cardio even on 'leg' days.

I have only recently decided to get 'serious' with weight training - so weight training with my legs has been a new addition. I've started taking protein shakes which seem to reduce the soreness in my arms the following day, but my legs are still generally quite sore the following day (hence the cardio after leg training, which I meant the day after also).

I don't do any cardio the day following leg training, which is the only day I don't do cardio.

Again, thanks for your feedback!!!! Cheers!

I'll quite often do split cardio/weights because find time and soreness a factor. Had great results with short interval session in morning, weights at night. Means an early start though!