• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

leg press info

Regular Punter

will be in the market for a new piece of equipment in the new year and am starting to look towards a leg press for the home gym.

any users with any helpful info or reccomendations on brands or styles?

i know its not essential and am expecting a heap of "just squat more" etc. I will still be squatting if that makes people more accepting of someone wishing to purchase and utilise a leg press.

come at me with info bro's

i saw that in one of many google searches. what are your thoughts on that style over the more conventional ones? thats almost a hack squat style setup almost.

i'm finding the common thing with the smaller and more compact non commercial items is it looks like you cant get much weight on them....

Yes it's more of a hack squat rather than a traditional leg press, I like the mechanics of it and it's compact, load capacity is 315kg

Besides, Lee Priest loves it! :D

Last edited:
You can get dual hack squat and leg press units for a bit more. I do like the size of it though, especially for home. Calf raise bit is a bonus.

315kg would be using 25kg plates I reckon, just doesn't look like much room for loads of plates. Good option though, cheers for the suggestion.

Hammer strength leverage leg press, there is one regularly for sale On ebay last time I looked.

$5000.00 new 1250.00 now, just checked, in Melbourne 2 days to go, whoever buys this has made a good choice.

These are the best types of leg presses in my opinion.

why not just squat more??

just kidding..

check out fitnessmarket.com when I was looking at setting up a home gym they had some pretty good specials!!!
I have advanced towards you with info, whether its good or not is up in the air

I see alot of cheap leg presses second hand. Gumtree is the go seems to be full of desperate scum bags selling their gear for next to nothing. Ebayers generally know the value of their shit and want good $$$$.

Obviously this is in my area but I've seen in the last month two 45 degree commercial leg presses. One under $300 looked new, another $500 but came with six 20kg plates

im in brissy. i'll scout gumtree and ebay and see whats about. the more i look the more i'll think i'll need something close to commercial.

surprised at the lack of hate..

fluffy you have aimed straight for my heart, i'm a tighter than a jewish fishes asshole

im in brissy. i'll scout gumtree and ebay and see whats about. the more i look the more i'll think i'll need something close to commercial.

surprised at the lack of hate..

fluffy you have aimed straight for my heart, i'm a tighter than a jewish fishes asshole

Yeah I'm on the goldy and check it every other day at work, you usually gotta move quick to get the real bargains, but you will watch some people start out at like $800 and then just watch them keep dropping till they go for next to nothing.

Theres always heaps more listings in brissy as well. TBH I wouldn't mind a leg press if I had the space good for the quads without the load on my dodgy back, bloody good for squat assistance.

When I finally build a decent patio out the back GHR, proper oly bench and leg press will be on the list of shit to buy.

Leg press still puts a shitload of pressure on the lower back. If I bought a leg press I'd get one with a wide plate. The regular plates just seem unnatural to me I like to press with a wider stance

If I wanted to train the quads and lower the amount of pressure on my lower back I would buy a hip squat belt though

Leg press still puts a shitload of pressure on the lower back. If I bought a leg press I'd get one with a wide plate. The regular plates just seem unnatural to me I like to press with a wider stance

If I wanted to train the quads and lower the amount of pressure on my lower back I would buy a hip squat belt though

I don't really want to get in a debate about it because this might be unique to me. With a major protrusion on the C4 & S1 I can tell you I am able to move epic amounts of weight on the leg press with nil discomfort.

When I hurt my back I built back up to squatting by only leg pressing for a long time, as long as my arse was right in the chair it was never an issue. Again this could just be unique to me and what happened to my back.

Don't tell that to vonfram, the quads are not used when you squat

I can tell you since moving to low bar squatting myself the quads have disappeared and my arse has gotten huge. I can move more weight but looking in the mirror my quads look smaller.

Just an observation I made in the last 18 months, till I got some technique coaching I used to squat high bar oly without even realizing it.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm on the goldy and check it every other day at work, you usually gotta move quick to get the real bargains, but you will watch some people start out at like $800 and then just watch them keep dropping till they go for next to nothing.

Theres always heaps more listings in brissy as well. TBH I wouldn't mind a leg press if I had the space good for the quads without the load on my dodgy back, bloody good for squat assistance.

When I finally build a decent patio out the back GHR, proper oly bench and leg press will be on the list of shit to buy.

Yeah I'm bored of just squatting for legs and the workouts suffer for it. When I first split with my ex I had to go to a commercial gym and I didn't actually mind the leg press after squatting. Just different I guess, variety and all that.

I don't really want to get in a debate about it because this might be unique to me. With a major protrusion on the C4 & S1 I can tell you I am able to move epic amounts of weight on the leg press with nil discomfort.

When I hurt my back I built back up to squatting by only leg pressing for a long time, as long as my arse was right in the chair it was never an issue. Again this could just be unique to me and what happened to my back.

I can tell you since moving to low bar squatting myself the quads have disappeared and my arse has gotten huge. I can move more weight but looking in the mirror my quads look smaller.

Just an observation I made in the last 18 months, till I got some technique coaching I used to squat high bar oly without even realizing it.

I'm no expert on back injuries. I was also a high bar squatter but my quads haven't got any smaller although they have changed shape somewhat. I wouldn't say that the quads were "unimportant" just because they got smaller anyway, just that your ass was the most important thing, at that time, to increase the weight on the bar

My lower back cops a hiding too after squats. Leg press just felt like a way to further smash the legs. It seems the quads/glutes/Hammies can keep going but the rest of the body has had enough. Enter the leg press

Awesome for calf raises too. Expensive gear for accessory work but meh it's only cash

Oni, when your spine compresses, which way does it go?

You know what I've noticed with you Oni, it's obvious when you post something that you've read from the internet and then it's painfully obvious when you post something straight from you head.
You dig it?

Oni, when your spine compresses, which way does it go?

You know what I've noticed with you Oni, it's obvious when you post something that you've read from the internet and then it's painfully obvious when you post something straight from you head.
You dig it?

It's becoming quite irritating