• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg press

Never leg pressed much, just squatted.

Going to start doing it to help my squat, feet high or low on the board?

What ever feels most comfortable.

My opinion,, leg press is better than squats for quad growth. I like em.

Feet high is most comfterble and get most power, how ever the ROM isnt that great

I do feet high because my ankle flexibility isn't good enough to have feet lower. I don't think the position is going to make a huge difference.

ROM shouldn't matter, used as a finisher it will fry your quads. I find high foot placement and wide causes some pretty sickening cramping when I go up to 50 reps

Feet high you can get greater ROM and you can push through the heels much easier and tend to work the glutes more. Feet low you target more quads bit unless you have good flex ability through the ankles can't get as much ROM

Your feet should be positioned on the platform, so there is no ankle movement, your knees should be at around 45 degrees.
This foot high and low thing is bull-shit "bro-science" talk.

Don't lock your knees at full extension, it's not good for your hip.

I thought that lower foot placement is bad for the knees? Similar to when knees travel past the toes during squats when you bend at the knees and not at the hips.

Your feet should be positioned on the platform, so there is no ankle movement, your knees should be at around 45 degrees.
This foot high and low thing is bull-shit "bro-science" talk.

Don't lock your knees at full extension, it's not good for your hip.

Surely to acheive 45 degrees you will need to go either high ir low depending on your size...

I thought that lower foot placement is bad for the knees? Similar to when knees travel past the toes during squats when you bend at the knees and not at the hips.

You place your feet on the plate wherever it allows you to keep your feet flat and without any bending at the ankle, the positioning will be different for some

Knees past toes is fine. Else I wouldnt be to back squat. :p

Tim.

You place your feet on the plate wherever it allows you to keep your feet flat and without any bending at the ankle, the positioning will be different for some

Yeah

it's not a squat....

with the leg press you need to make sure you position your feet correctly for a couple of reasons.

Minimizing shearing force at the knee
Mininmizing movement around the ankle
in the "squat" position; if your feet are flat and the the ankle is not "bending" this ensures that force (resistance) is directly in-line with the leg, leg being, the "lwr leg".
Your lwr back, then is more likely to not lift out of the seat.

Slightly OTT, but I reckon this advice would also go well with those who choose to do smith machine squats. :p

Slightly OTT, but I reckon this advice would also go well with those who choose to do smith machine squats. :p

I like doing Ed Zercher style leg press in the smith machine. Works very well and you get some crazy looks from people

Nothing wrong with Smith machine squats, I hit it, or hack squats, or leg press straight afte squats as 2nd or third exercise.