• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Linear progression

Was he teaching me anything? Because I'm pretty sure I already knew that linear had its place as simple and easy workout for beginners. I was just making a generalisation about its overall efficiency and usage.

maybe no, but there is nothing wrong with my appreciation of sound teaching methods. I was merely saluting Silverback.

Was he teaching me anything? Because I'm pretty sure I already knew that linear had its place as simple and easy workout for beginners. I was just making a generalisation about its overall efficiency and usage.

You don't need teaching, me on the other hand, learn something every day, I think I'll still die stupid.

No one knows the best way to train for strength because there is no single best way. Too many variables.

You still have done pretty well, 185kg bench at 93kg alone, along with a good total.

anyone that improves, and gets to a good standard, knows what they are doing.

For every individual there are different variables yes, but some ways are generally better than others IMO.

Of course. I just think there are many ways to improve, and to ensure enough intensity. If I was a coach, i would tailor program simply to their mental makeup and ability to recover. This would vary from individual to individual, as I do not believe in one size fits all.

I have seen this with boxing and horse trainers. They adapt training according to individual traits.

Some people are workhorses, others are finely tuned and burn out easily.

Of course. I just think there are many ways to improve, and to ensure enough intensity. If I was a coach, i would tailor program simply to their mental makeup and ability to recover. This would vary from individual to individual, as I do not believe in one size fits all.

I have seen this with boxing and horse trainers. They adapt training according to individual traits.

Some people are workhorses, others are finely tuned and burn out easily.

You touch on a very good topic [MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION];

A good coach, and I mean a good coach instinctively knows what's best for an *individual* in regards to extracting the raw material to build muscles quickly and *safely* this comes from many, many years of dealing with many many trainees.
This coach doesn't necessarily always exhibit the physique of a champion, but produces many.
Most coaches, just cherry-pick.

This is very true.

For any coaching position, I think it is important to just sit down and talk with athlete just to get an understanding of past, whether it be training, lack of training, diet, interests and so on.

It is quite possible that some of the best talent is hidden by so many aspects being wrong in their training and life. This may be reversed if key aspects change. It could be diet, it could be going too heavy to often, could be stress, or even a combination.

At same time, if something is working, say an athlete has been doing well doing well by doing not that much, I would be reluctant to make much change, at least until improvement rate wanes. I have seen so many powerful kids, not even training for that sport, be ruined by so-called experts from overload. And this includes coaches who were top athletes.

Last edited:
Linear progression is used commonly because it is easy to teach and coach with minimal effort from the person doing the coaching

Just looking up a few quick ones, not "attacking" you in any way or trying to show you up... just providing the information that I have gathered

Smolov is a squat cycle made for bringing up the legs in beginner weightlifters (not an "advanced" powerlifting routine LOL) and that is a lot of sets BUT puts the competition lifts aside apart from some long pulls to warm up

A sample training - LiftHard Chinese style here, you've probably seen this. We are looking at 11-15 sets of 2-5 reps for squats and another 10-14 sets of 1-3 reps for front squats
http://lifthard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Routine.png for a masters lifter, we are looking at at least 9 sets of front squats in the first 3 days of the week

From Pendlay:
A Training System for Beginning Olympic Weightlifters We are looking at 10 sets of squatting for a rank novice and 3 sets of front squats over 3 days. This is someone with no work capacity remember.

Going Russian:
Verkhoshansky Articles & Documents
"the volume of training loads achieved the limit of reasonableness. Today the professional athletes are training about 8 hours per day, 2-4 times during the day, near to 1,700 hours per year. It’s quite impossible imagine any further increase of load volume. We should look for models that assure a most rational use of the training loads over the year cycle" - The take home point here would be that volume increases until the limit of reasonableness which for you and I is simply time constraints.

An Interview With Sports Scientist Natalia Verkhoshansky | Bret Contreras - "The innovative idea of my father was to “concentrate” all the volume of barbell exercises, which was used by the athletes during the whole preceding preparation period, in an isolated training stage during which the athlete would not carry out other kinds of training loads (“strength block”). This “block” should be placed at the beginning of the preparation period and should be followed by the consecutive stages" - If you're far from competition, I think you should remain in the strength block as long as possible. In the above article from lifthard it is mentioned that as a novice more and more time is spend developing strength rather than displaying it until the strength level is suffice, but nobody really gets there until they hit elite so to stop worrying about it. Get your front squat up 20kg and your clean WILL increase at your level a lot faster than simply attacking the clean

Good quote here from Duane Hansen:
"I have found it useful in the long run to plan your heavy and light weeks of lifting. The plan that seems to work best is two heavy weeks (where you work as hard and heavy as you can manage) followed by an easy (or deload) week where you cut the total volume in half and rarely (if ever) lift a weight more than 80% of your best. The actual days during the heavy weeks have a bit of wiggle room. Some days you are on top of the world and can do anything. Other days will be not so good. The thing is to work hard enough each day during the heavy weeks (depending on how things are going that particular day) and force yourself to take it easy during the deload weeks." - Personally I think you won't need the deload weeks, you're simply not lifting enough! But it would be a good time to drop squatting volume and focus on the competition lifts more. For me I do a similar thing, I'll go nuts with volume for 2 weeks then drop the volume and up the intensity for 2 weeks. The main point is CONTRAST here, not "recovery".

Also on the Arminiens, however you spell their country name, like the Bulgarians it's important to see the development of the lifter. Yeah all they did was front squat the competition lifts and the power variations. But as a teenager they all did gymnastics and bodybuilding (I shit you not) and spend a lot of time doing a wide variety of different exercises to develop a complete motor map before cutting out exercises as they got more and more advanced

There is a lot more from sports outside of weightlifting but I wanted to keep it strictly weightlifting based here
Not taken or read as a show up, I've tried to make it clear I'm not arguing or disagreeing, so I'll take everything in the context of the conversation.

So basically I assumed you were talking about much more sets than you were.. I admit I have only browsed over this for now, but it's around the 10-15 range that I was talking of, remembering that's not referring to the load I spoke of in the OP is more easing back and treading lightly from injuries..

Chinese are boss

Edit- read more, I see what your saying, it's gona depend a lot on the rep range though, teams/trainees doing more sets of 5 are gona have less working sets, that will trend to be more the beginners, as their form won't break down as much than with lots of heavy sets 1-3, but also on the coach, lots of them won't do less than 3 for back squat, because of their believes regarding the carry over for the back squat, and the uselessness (if even a word) of a grinding rep.. Watch someone like lu, or even Ilya (though I think that's a contradiction, as I think he does heaps of 1-3 work), and they arely do a rep that looks tough, usually doing perfect reps, and lu, from what I've read, unless in a taper, does mostly 3-5, but that's anyone's guess as to what is and isn't true regarding his programming..

From experience, I found that 5x5 can be easily as hard as days where I've had 10 working sets all above 85% and all 1-3 range, but I would classify myself as a beginner- early intermediate at best, given my max is around 155 @~73

Off topic, but on topic, you seen much of squat nemesis? I like the idea, but probably needs someone who knows alot more about programming towards dates to tweak it rather than just going in and doing it as the basic template is laid out

Last edited:
Yeah I think you should be doing 10-20 sets a week combined fronts and backs
What did I originally post? I think it started off at 10 sets of squats a week + fronts and increased in sets as the number of reps decreased.
But yeah, if you're stuck then increasing the volume will give results the majority of the time unless you're lifting with fucked up technique

Yeah I agree what you're saying. You want good clean reps not really grinders. I'd keep a rep in the tank.
I'll have a look at that squat nemesis program now!

I should add that increasing the volume is part of the answer but not, by itself, the goal