• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[LOL] Powerlifting workouts should only be 60-90mins long says a retard...

Salient point;

There is a difference between a workout and skills "training"

How much one needs to train is dependent upon the skill level of the trainee.

A workout should not last more than 1 hour.
the shorter a workout is the more intensity of work needs to be performed.

What are your best lifts?

I call poppycock on this.

If you are an experienced lifter it is still possible to make gains or maintain on a minimalist training schedule of maybe 4-5 hours per week total.

I've been training perhaps 2, maybe 3 days per week on a good week since late last year and each session would barely last 80 minutes of real work. There has been no progress at this level, in fact some things have gone backwards a little not just because of injury.

If I have the time to step up to 3-4 sessions per week (still of less than 90 minutes each), I am almost certain to get within 90-95% of my peak levels. To be at competitive levels (220sq, 175b, 260d) would require maybe one additional hour per week on top of that. You do learn to use training time more effectively when you have lots of outside commitments.

Having vented that, I'm still no closer to competing than I was two years ago. Training is part of my life but not my life.

The ones I'm doing now.

Don't be ćunty

See Gooby, you're a quality poster and I take your advice all the time but you don't compete in powerlifting and as far as I know haven't put up spectacular numbers. You train for an entirely different reason and that's great, I can't criticize that. But you can't apply the same metrics to all things that revolve around lifting a weight. I can think of countless examples of many, many athletes from before steroids existed that trained far longer and harder than you can possibly do in an hour. For health, looking good and general wellbeing? Sure why not, it's a great rule. But it doesn't always equate to a sport where diminishing returns kicks in like a motherfucker and you need exponential amounts of effort for continual progress

See Gooby, you're a quality poster and I take your advice all the time but you don't compete in powerlifting and as far as I know haven't put up spectacular numbers. You train for an entirely different reason and that's great, I can't criticize that. But you can't apply the same metrics to all things that revolve around lifting a weight. I can think of countless examples of many, many athletes from before steroids existed that trained far longer and harder than you can possibly do in an hour. For health, looking good and general wellbeing? Sure why not, it's a great rule. But it doesn't always equate to a sport where diminishing returns kicks in like a motherfucker and you need exponential amounts of effort for continual progress

Thanks Alex.
One thing I would say is never come to me for advice when it comes to powerlifting Training.

Having said that, living in the world of a powerlifter appears to be a mind-fuck at best.

Believe it or not, powerlifting and strength training are not one and the same.
this is what most of you gumbies need to understand and accept.

yes, I think a few of us talk about strength training rather than powerlifting.

but, we better shut up because our experience is not matched by big power lifts.

Last edited:
I know you guys love to use "high bar" and "deep" to justify being as weak as a kitten from your "decades" of strength training

What experience? You have none in powerlifting. Nil. You squat 130kg for a set of 10 last time you said, high bar and so deep that your head went up your ass. The thread is literally titled "Powerlifting workouts should only be.." and you ramble on about how "strength training" and powerlifting are not the same. So what? If you have nothing good to add then stay out

What experience? You have none in powerlifting. Nil. You squat 130kg for a set of 10 last time you said, high bar and so deep that your head went up your ass. The thread is literally titled "Powerlifting workouts should only be.." and you ramble on about how "strength training" and powerlifting are not the same. So what? If you have nothing good to add then stay out
That's it Oni, let it all out, it's good for the soul and the beard.

By the way, low bar squats are easier than high bar. :eek:

I do most of my training high bar, beltless and as deep as my mobility allows. I only went to low bar and added wraps and a belt two weeks out from this meet on Sunday and broke two personal best in the two sessions I did with wraps

Don't be that little dog in my avatar, Ben bought it up (workouts are not training) I stated it was a salient point, you go off on another one of your quixotic ramblings, it is actually you that de-rails threads, most of the time.

it doesn't worry me, but it irritates me when others members are blamed, most of the time.

Yes strength training and powerlifting are two very different things but they share many similarities.

Now quit arguing, I'm trying to watch the Origin.

Don't be that little dog in my avatar, Ben bought it up (workouts are not training) I stated it was a salient point, you go off on another one of your quixotic ramblings, it is actually you that de-rails threads, most of the time.

it doesn't worry me, but it irritates me when others members are blamed, most of the time.

A "strength training" workout is completely different to a "powerlifting" workout. The two can't be compared. There is a "strength training" aspect as well as a "sports practice" aspect.