• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

lower back hip mobility

kyronE

what are some stretchers drill's or anything really to aid with lower back and hip mobility to help with my squats and exercises that require my lower back ?

You're question is a little confusing but I am sure you just mean to increase your hip mobility to help your lower back.

First thing would be to check your ankles. Poor ankle mobility can be really damaging to getting into a deep squat typically seen in the gym. If you hip break like a comp powerlifting squat (wide stance and ass really far back) you won't have to worry about ankle mobility effecting your squat, every other squat variant needs good ankle mobility or you will attempt to compensate at the hips then your lower back.

There are two stretches you can do for your hip that really help hip mobility in regards to squatting. Both use a box and are tough to describe properly on the net, I'll post a link to a few videos for you.

You could get but with those two hip stretches and and ankle mobility drill followed by a call stretch and really improve your squatting ability straight away. Long term improvement will take repetition but if you do these movements before each session you will find better mobility right away for that session.

Will edit post with videos when not on phone.

ankles, ankles, ankles. my squat was terrible (shallow and weak - i couldn't even get down on my haunches and asian-squat properly) and i blamed hips, hip flexors, knees, hams and glutes, you name it. in the end, by far the biggest factor for me was my ankles. getting ankle mobility made everything else just fall into place. i still have occasional SI joint pain and my hip flexors still click and pop over my pelvis all the time but the mobility from hip to ankle is dramatically improved.

[YOUTUBE]tBt5F2mMUtU[/YOUTUBE]

This shows you a test and ankle mobility drill. Just try and recreate the movement the presenter is doing. Knee bends forward over toes, stays straight over toes (not inwards), heel stays on ground. I get people to do it with the front of their foot elevated a little and pulling themselves forward on something like a pole. If you have access to a band it can also be used to pull your leg forward. The goal is to move your knee as far forward as possible. I like 10s hold for 5 times each side followed with a 2 minutes of stretching for each calf (straight and bent knee stretches) right after the mob. You should notice immediate mobility changes, if you do not it is not working (either it won't work or you are doing something quite wrong). Long term change come from repetition and keeping up the stretching afterwards to reinforce the range of movement increase in the joint with muscular elasticity as well.

[Youtube]UY31J5BeKrg#![/youtube]

This video shows some good external rotator and glute stretches for your hips. Watch the video it explains it all well and it is easy to do.

ano_box_squat.jpg

This next stretch should look similar to above minus the massive amount of weight. You use a box, sit back on it legs wide like above. You then have your arms straight and try to push them down to your feet bending at the hip. While doing this you should be trying to push your hips back and your knees out with your arms/elbows as your arms move down. You stop when you can not maintain a neutral (flat) spine all the way from neck to pelvis. Then hold this position for 2 minutes in total (rest breaks are fine). Easy way to hit your adductor magnus and hamstrings which may be causing hip tuck if you're tight. Make sure your knees stay over your ankle (not in front or behind) and really make sure your back is flat when you push your ass backwards and bend down.

These 2 hips stretches are really good and can alleviate nearly all squatting issues. A good hip flexor/quad stretch would also be advised for overall hip mobility.

Last edited: