• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

milk vs whey p/w

macca

Hey all. Looking for opinions on milk (whole or skim) vs Protein shake immediately post w/o.
Been on the WPC/WPI shake and a peice of fruit p/w for a while, now iv'e decided to give a litre of whole milk a go instead.

Litre of whole milk
protein 35g
carbs 55g
fat 33g

Protein shake
protein 31g
carbs 7g
fat 3g
+ carbs from fruit

Too early for me to judge from experience yet, but i like drinking the milk better and at a dollar a litre it's cheap.

The only real difference is how fast it gets into your system - but to be honest id never tell ppl not to have milk after training.

Seen some articles saying Choc milk is the perfect post workout drink.

Depends on goals, your digestive health, alot of people have some form of lactose intolerance thus affecting bowel absorbtion of nutrients and can lead to other problems..

So it depends on you, your health, and your goals...

Yeah, i'm aware that the shake will be digested and absorbed quicker than the milk. And powersports iv'e also heard the choc milk claim, is supposed to have perfect ratio of car/pro, although i don't like the added sugar.
ATM iv'e just come off a full bulk (put on over 10kg's) and I'm trying to continue to gain size and strength, while keeping bf in check.
Don't seem to have any issues with digesting the milk, and it makes me feel full for longer, after the shake and apple, I'm still starving hahaha.

Is there a huge diff between normal milk and choc milk in regards to the sugar? - have never really checked.

After training Iam never worried about simple sugar intake - in regards to how high it is - I think the higher the better really....but there is a line of course.

Is there a huge diff between normal milk and choc milk in regards to the sugar? - have never really checked.

After training Iam never worried about simple sugar intake - in regards to how high it is - I think the higher the better really....but there is a line of course.

Well normal milk has lactose a sugar made out of glucose and galactose...

Flavoured milk has added sucrose...

Difference? Well ALOT.. 600ml might have 40-50g added sucrose (half fructose half glucose). It is better to added fructose and glucose seperatley (if you must add fructose at all more on that another day) As to split sucrose into 2 seperate sugars to be digested an enzyme called invertase is needed.

Also the fat,protein ect will slow down the digestion of the carbs if you are having them post workout.. It would be simply better to have simple sugars (with bcaa's / eaa's) during training to quickly boost insulin to counteract cortisol.... Then have protein after as opposed to both at the same time. As the protein will bluntin insulins effect at this stage.. This is when we want insulin high..