• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Minimum amount of fat par day?

Hannibal

G'day
As the the title I'm just trying to find out if there is a min amount of fat (grams per kg) that you should be eating for health, training and recovery benefits. I have searched around and all I can really find is a general % per total calories, but no min requirement.

A bit of background. I'm high 60kgs, lift 2-3 a week but my main training is cycling and a bit of running approx 12-18hrs a week (in addition to weights). I have recently been tracking calories and macros in a effort to reduce body fat but maintain lean muscle.

When consuming 10g of carbs and about 1.8g of protein, whilst trying not to exceed daily calories, I have noticed that my fat % is v low on some days. Although I feel OK and am having a steady fat loss, I'm just wondering if the low fat levels should/need to be addressed to a certain level per day at least.

Hey mate, I haven't been able to find much backing up this number

Have a read of:
A Primer on Dietary Fats - Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
A Primer on Dietary Fats - Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

In case you aren't interested in reading the whole article:

I also realize that I didn’t address much in the way of practical recommendations. Frankly, assuming folks are consuming a moderate fat diet (perhaps 20-25% of their total calories), outside of ensuring that they get sufficient amounts of EPA/DHA on a daily basis and mostly avoid trans fat intake, I’m not sure it’s worth being that concerned with.

Thanks for the links.

The sports nutrition manual I'm reading gives

Fat is essential however no RDA or Adequate intake is set for total fat intake because there is insufficient data to determine a defined level of fat intake at which risk of inadequacy or prevention of chronic disease occurs.
(Institute of medicine)

Does give a figure of between 20-35% of calories later though when calculating daily requirements. Working out based on my requirements and weight

With a BMR of 1650c for my weight.
X activity factor of 1.6 (recovery and light exercise days) = 2640c

66kg x 5g carbs per day = 330g x 4c = 1320c = 50% daily
66kg x 1.8g pro per day = 119g x 4c = 475c = 18% of daily
That leaves 845c/9c = 93g of fat = 32%

X activity factor of 2.4 (High activity day) = 3960c

66kg x 10g carbs per day = 660g x 4c = 2640c = 66.6%
66kg x 1.8g pro per day = 119g x 4 = 475 = 12%
That leaves 845c/9c = 93g of fat = 21.3%

Works out at 1.5g of fat per day. Will adjust my daily meals on this and see.